Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I've had a 7mm Mag Colt Light Rifle in the safe for a couple of years. Intending to send it off for Melvinizing, I haven't been convinced I want a 7mm Mag, so I've dragged my feet. The CLR is based on Melvin Forbes' NULA 24 magnum length action. Mine has a magnum bolt face. Any rechambering would need to be in a cartridge utilizing the magnum bolt face.

I have a Kimber Mountain Ascent in 308.

What to do?

1. Melvin seems to think the factory barrels shoot. Send it off for stock, trigger, etc., keeping it a 7mm Mag. then either keep it or sell it.

2. Rebarrel in another caliber compatible with the magnum bolt face?

3. Sell it as is.

Or...

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
BP-B6

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
How does it shoot ?

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
The previous owner did some backyard smithing on the trigger and it's downright dangerous. I bought it with the intention of Melvinizing, but then bought the Kimber. I always wanted a ULA/NULA, but not necessarily a Magnum. If I went out west, I'm not convinced that an ultralight 7mm Mag would offer any sizeable advantage over the 308.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by kingston
....... If I went out west, I'm not convinced that an ultralight 7mm Mag would offer any sizeable advantage over the 308.

"Convincing" is something you do through your own experience. I guess you have never hunted the West.

If you are convinced a 7 Rem Mag offers no advantage over a 308, then sell the 7 RM.

Of course the people who invented the 7 Rem Mag only had extensive experience on all western BG animals, including moose, and grizzly,and thoroughly tested the cartridge before it went commercial. But what did they know?

You should probably sell it.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by kingston
....... If I went out west, I'm not convinced that an ultralight 7mm Mag would offer any sizeable advantage over the 308.

"Convincing" is something you do through your own experience. I guess you have never hunted the West.

If you are convinced a 7 Rem Mag offers no advantage over a 308, then sell the 7 RM.

Of course the people who invented the 7 Rem Mag only had extensive experience on all western BG animals, including moose, and grizzly,and thoroughly tested the cartridge before it went commercial. But what did they know?

You should probably sell it.

While I've never hunted the west, I am sure there's nothing in NH that requires a 7mm Rem. Mag.

I am reminded of another post from "The Shrinking Big Game Rifle" thread...

My first hunt to Montana was in the early 1970's and the rancher, over near Jordan, used a 22-250 on everything.

I was greener than green but it sounded OK to me at the time. I used a 270 and didn't feel badly...both Grits Gresham and John Jobson had hunted with the same rancher using a 7 Rem Mag and a 270.

No one much cared what you used if you could shoot straight.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I do hunt out west. I hunt NH only for day trips. I don't even live there.

Anyway I am giving you good advice. I don't know what "Melvinizing" is but sounds like a term where you give Forbes a POS rifle and he turns it into something decent.And if there was ever a POS, the Colt Light Rifle was "it". I recall when they came out. I could not believe how bad they were.

Since you're convinced the 7RM has no advantage over a 308 out west, why bother wasting the money remodeling a turd ?

Just sell it. You're convinced you don't need it anyway.

If you want a NULA rifle, just buy one in a caliber you are "convinced" offers you something.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I do hunt out west. I hunt NH only for day trips. I don't even live there.

Anyway I am giving you good advice. I don't know what "Melvinizing" is but sounds like a term where you give Forbes a POS rifle and he turns it into something decent.And if there was ever a POS, the Colt Light Rifle was "it". I recall when they came out. I could not believe how bad they were.

Since you're convinced the 7RM has no advantage over a 308 out west, why bother wasting the money remodeling a turd ?

Just sell it. You're convinced you don't need it anyway.

If you want a NULA rifle, just buy one in a caliber you are "convinced" offers you something.

BobnotinNH,

At no point in my original post did I report being "convinced" of anything.

I find it hard to believe that someone with 33,608 posts on 24HCF wouldn't have an idea of what Melvinizing a CLR would mean.

Thanks for your sincere and consistent input. I'm hoping you can imagine how little it's meant.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Posted this before, but mine in 30-06 is easily the most accurate hunting rifle I own and still wears the factory barrel. They were made by saco defense who made barrels for the military.

I had the stock, full length bedding, Timney trigger, Aluminum trigger guard, bolt jeweled and lapped etc, and then cerakoted all the metal ... for $630.00.

If you want a lightweight, accurate 7 mag....you can't do better for the money. Melvin is damn good people too.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks JM. I'm totally into having Melvin re-work a CLR. I'm just not sure about the 7mm RM. I should probably just send it off and have the stock, trigger, mag follower, etc. replaced while retaining the Saco 7mm barrel.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have had and still have several CLRs. The very best 264 Win mag I have owned was made from a 7mag CLR. I used a #2 contour Lilja barrel cut at 26". It was delight to carry and one of the best rifles for hunting out west I have ever had. The recoil was far less than I anticipated and the accuracy was outstanding. I also use the 308 extensively, both are excellent choices if you shoot them enough to know them.

Bill

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The question was TIC.. I was making fun of a silly term.

I know exactly what it means. It's some "cool" term for having Mel take a POS and turn it into something.

I wouldn't touch one with a 10 foot pole, I wouldn't even pay for it with your money. They were junk pure and simple. Cant understand why people bother with them.

But you don't need it anyway. The 7 RM has no advantages over a 308 for western hunting. Sell it.

There any 600-1000 yard ranges near Kingston can use? You a match shooter by any chance?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My smith installed a Remington 700 trigger and an MPI stock on the one I had

Was an awesome shooter, wish I still had it!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Had a 270 CLR reworked by Melvin, made it into a stellar rifle.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If Melvin says the CLR barrels shoot, I'd be inclined to believe him.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by 444Matt

What all did it improve? I handled a CLR at Cabelas considering a re-work, but couldnt get past the gritty action and overall feel. Does Mel's tune up improve everything, or just the trigger?

Once I factored in $650 for his tune up, I would rather have a re-stocked Tikka based on my impressions of the CLR base.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
There's a nice 280 NULA/CLR in the classifieds now that has been sitting a while. I don't remember if it's an AI or regular 280. Saves you some time/money if a 280 makes you happy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Did not own it prior to conversion. It was light, accurate, fed smoothly and fit me well. Recoil was almost nonexistent.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by tarheelpwr
Originally Posted by 444Matt

What all did it improve? I handled a CLR at Cabelas considering a re-work, but couldnt get past the gritty action and overall feel. Does Mel's tune up improve everything, or just the trigger?

Once I factored in $650 for his tune up, I would rather have a re-stocked Tikka based on my impressions of the CLR base.

Replaces the trigger,springs from what I remember.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks. I've talked to him and got a list of what all he replaces, but I was just wondering if there's any intangibles he upgrades as well.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by tarheelpwr
Thanks. I've talked to him and got a list of what all he replaces, but I was just wondering if there's any intangibles he upgrades as well.

Oh I forgot the follower, basically every spring in the rifle is changed out.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
115 members (338reddog, 32_20fan, 01Foreman400, 35, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 8 invisible), 1,448 guests, and 728 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,889
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.