Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by tarheelpwr
Thanks. I've talked to him and got a list of what all he replaces, but I was just wondering if there's any intangibles he upgrades as well.

Oh I forgot the follower, basically every spring in the rifle is changed out.

What a surprise.... smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
So a $550 rifle with $650 in upgrades has you at $1200.00 for a slick, very accurate very lightweight rifle hand fitted by a hell of a good guy. Yep, alot to hate about that..... then again, I paid $1000.00 for a Montana and another $650.00 to have it rebarreled into the second most accurate gun I own and feel like it was a hell of a deal at that price too.

Guess to each his own, some people like their cucumbers pickled.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wouldn't buy CLR in the first place and wouldn't spend $$$ on one if it was given to me.

Sell/trade it and get a good rifle is what I would do.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My advice is to just do what you want, build on it or sell it, either way it's your rifle, your $$, so your choice is the only one that counts.

I think that a CLR/NULA hybrid from Mr. Forbes is a pretty good build in the $1,200 to $1,300 range.

I've owned several CLRs, still have a couple, and think that they are equal to the comparably priced long action CF rifles from Rem/Rug/Win. My 1st tier elk rifle is a CLR in 270 that only shoots MOA or better, but I'm reasonably easy to please.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
CLR's tend to be good shooters. I have had three, and still have one in 7RM. I hunted with it for years, but finally broke down last year and ordered a drop in stock from Melvin. The new stock (and much softer pad) helped dial the felt recoil back so that now it is much more comfortable to shoot.

My take is this: IMO the CLR's tend to shoot out of the box, are pretty lightweight, and can be had at bargain prices. I personally would not spend a ton of money on one, and only bought the new stock for mine as I am getting more recoil averse as time goes on.

If I were you, I would fix/replace the trigger in your rifle, and then test it as is to see how she shoots. You might be surprised. If you couldn't get it to shoot, I'd sell it to someone telling them what you experienced and move on.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My only advice, based on contemplating this same idea on a different platform, is to sell it and get what you want.

I had a project shift course in the middle. I followed through not being 100% sold on the chambering, etc. Now, I'm sorry I did. I can unload it, but I'll likely lose a good bit, so it sits in the safe.

I would wait and get exactly what you want. As you can see from the few that are selling their CLR/NULA/Hybrids, you will take a bath if you unload it. You will also likely sit on it a while.

I'm not knocking Melvin's work. I'm just commenting on your second guessing the current chambering as well as a magnum in general. You likely won't be happy with anything you send up with on the current donor.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by tarheelpwr
My only advice, based on contemplating this same idea on a different platform, is to sell it and get what you want.

I had a project shift course in the middle. I followed through not being 100% sold on the chambering, etc. Now, I'm sorry I did. I can unload it, but I'll likely lose a good bit, so it sits in the safe.

I would wait and get exactly what you want. As you can see from the few that are selling their CLR/NULA/Hybrids, you will take a bath if you unload it. You will also likely sit on it a while.

I'm not knocking Melvin's work. I'm just commenting on your second guessing the current chambering as well as a magnum in general. You likely won't be happy with anything you send up with on the current donor.

This good advice. Thank you

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you're looking to sell your CLR in 7mm Rem Mag, I'll gladly offer $400, shipped and insured.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
If you're looking to sell your CLR in 7mm Rem Mag, I'll gladly offer $400, shipped and insured.

Thanks!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

Thanks!

You're welcome!

I'm a deal seeker.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I was going to cut it up into little pieces, stuff them into a flat rate box and send them to BoobnotinNH, but that was before I knew it was worth $400.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
That's about all I gave for mine in 30-06, so I'd be hard pressed to pay a lot more....but it hasn't been 'Melvinized' yet, either.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I was going to cut it up into little pieces, stuff them into a flat rate box and send them to BoobnotinNH, but that was before I knew it was worth $400.

Aren't you cute and clever. You over 12 years old? You just didn't like my opinion. No surprise.

Take a look at the title of your thread. You asked for an opinion....I gave you one which don't seem to like. So, you didn't want "opinions"...you wanted your little ego stroked and wanted to let everyone know how "cool" you were cause you knew how to use the term "Melvinizing".

Even funnier is you don't even know what you have with a 7 mag. Doubt you've hunted anything further west than Albany.

You didn't like my advice either which was "don't waste your money". So save the postage...toss it in the trash.

Looks like 260 bailed you out for $400. He did you a favor.

Last edited by BobinNH; 06/09/16.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think that a CLR in excellent condition is worth $400, but $400 doesn't buy you much in 2016.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Doubt you've hunted anything further west than Albany.

Actually, it wasn't until relatively recently that I hunted anything east if Albany.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I don't think that it would be legal for you to ship the serial numbered receiver to BobnotinNH unless he has an FFL. OTOH, I do have an FFL, so shipping to me is a piece of cake.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Yesterday I picked up a clean CLR in .270 with Leupold 3-9x40 for a good price, work pulled me out of town so I have not been to the range yet but the trigger pull was smooth so it may have been worked on.

No time to weight it but it seemed close to what my Tikka T3 lite weighs. I planned to use the action for a build but will first test the factory barrel to see how it shoots.

Ted
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I picked up a 270 CLR when they first appeared on CDNN for just over $400. It shoots really well, the trigger could be better, but still keeps 150 grain NPTs under MOA with out any work. I certainly wouldn't categorize as a POS.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Aren't you cute and clever. You over 12 years old? You just didn't like my opinion. No surprise.

Take a look at the title of your thread. You asked for an opinion....I gave you one which don't seem to like. So, you didn't want "opinions"...you wanted your little ego stroked and wanted to let everyone know how "cool" you were cause you knew how to use the term "Melvinizing".

Even funnier is you don't even know what you have with a 7 mag. Doubt you've hunted anything further west than Albany.

You didn't like my advice either which was "don't waste your money". So save the postage...toss it in the trash.

Looks like 260 bailed you out for $400. He did you a favor.

Jeezus Bob! The problem isn't your opinions, it's your overbearing arrogance and the way you frame your posts to sound like a condescending little twat.

David

Last edited by Canazes9; 06/10/16. Reason: Fixed the link
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sorry David. You're pretty condescending yourself and inclined to stick your nose in correcting people. WTF are you?

When you get your own act cleaned up you can start correcting me.

Until then....please buzz off. wink

Who appointed you the site monitor?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

100 members (5sdad, 673, 406_SBC, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 450yukon, 13 invisible), 2,203 guests, and 786 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,381
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.