Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Stopped by a local pawn shop today and spotted what looked like a mint condition Ruger Boat Paddle that the clerk told me was new in box, he ordered from a supplier.

I'm not interested and not sure why they ordered that for Mobile Al. but if anyone else is interested they told me they would sell for $700.00.

Stainless, Iron Sights, .338 win mag.,Boat Paddle stock
Eddie's Pawn Shop, Mobile Al.
(251) 479-6667

I'm just passing along as they seem to be popular here on the Campfire.

Bob.

BP-B6

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sounds like a great deal. I'd love to find one with factory irons.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Man the biggest boat paddle I've shot is a 7mm. My shoulder hurts just thinking about a 338.

Of course, I'd buy one in a second if I ran across one.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Man the biggest boat paddle I've shot is a 7mm. My shoulder hurts just thinking about a 338.

Of course, I'd buy one in a second if I ran across one.

I have a 300 tucked away in safe hiding. That one will hurt you. one of these days it's going to get a different recoil pad to help soak up some of the kick.. sick

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

I have an factory iron sighted 300WM, she's mean!

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have two boat paddle .338s. they are the best of the Ruger All Weathers.

both of mine have been shortened (20" and 22") and one has had the barrel turned down to the Sporter contour.

they are not too bad to shoot, in light of the return on the investment

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
toad, you have no nerve endings! 😬

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I had a boat paddle 338 WM all-weather with sights. It shot more patterns than groups.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
.338's are so big that patterns work fine. All you got to do is hit an animal anywhere and they go down.

At least that's what a guy told me once after I asked why he didn't go check for blood after shooting at a running deer several times.

I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Brad
I had a boat paddle 338 WM all-weather with sights. It shot more patterns than groups.

....and the gist of this story is, get a rifle you can handle... whistle

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

....and the gist of this story is, get a rifle you can handle... whistle

Funny, of the 5 or so 338's I've owned, the Ruger was the only one that didn't shoot worth a chit.

I replaced the anvil-like Ruger 338 with a lighter 338 WM, an M700 SS ADL, that shot tiny varminter-sized groups. Actually, one of the best shooting factory rifles I've ever owned... so apparently the Ruger's problem wasn't the operator.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I've had a pile of 338's over the years (back to mid 70's) virtually all Winchester mod 70 of one flavor or another and Rugers. All shot just fine EXCEPT the one that I lusted after the most. All Weather Stainless Boat Paddle with sights. I wouldn't call it a "pattern" but it wasn't acceptable to me. Went down the road.

The recoil can be calmed by using the the Limbsaver. They make one for the boat paddle stock. Love them.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah CJ, "pattern" is a bit of an overstatement. The best it printed around 1-3/4" to 2-1/4" which isn't remotely acceptable to me. I even dropped it in an HS Precision stock to see if that would help. Nada.

It went down the road.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I'm with you on that.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah CJ, "pattern" is a bit of an overstatement. The best it printed around 1-3/4" to 2-1/4" which isn't remotely acceptable to me. I even dropped it in an HS Precision stock to see if that would help. Nada.

It went down the road.

That is about what both 7mms I've owned have shot with most loads. One of them did end up shooting a handload to about 1.25 and the other will shoot two different factory loads sub-MOA, but for all practical purposes, I consider them 2" rifles.

I have an early 243 that shoots well. And a 280 that may shoot really well when I get a new set of dies (long story on that one).

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My old 338 WM boat paddle shoots both 210 partitions and ttsx's sub 1" for 5 rds at 100 yds. It's essentially stock minus a trigger and a bedded action and the first 2" of barrel.

My specific 338 rifle nor the 4 other boat paddles I owned have never been any more picky then anything else I have owned. Solid base rifles IMHO that I would still own if others hadn't offered significant premiums on them.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I have one. Shortened the barrel to 22". Mine is a hammer , and recoil isn't bad.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mine wasn't factory but rather started out as a naked action. Got a factory barrel form Cariboujack that was 22" and fluted thanks to a previous owner. Had it mounted in a boat paddle stock when you could still et them from Numrich Arms. Added a Limbsaver.

Shoots great and recoil isn't much worse than my boat paddle .300WM. Got my elk about three years ago with my longest shot ever, 487 yards. 225g AB over H100V for 2742fps. Great combo.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
BSA...I have one in .308 that I had professionally shortened to 20" just before Ruger briefly offered it with a 20" barrel. I have the only stainless steel USA Weaver 4X scope that I have ever seen mounted on it. Even in .308 it will leave horizontal bruises after a few rounds. I think they are great rifles for the money. Thanks...Bill.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a Ruger in 300 Winchester magnum that came with one of those boat paddle stocks. It wasn't much fun to shoot. I put an HS Precision stock on it and made my traveling rifle, that has taken a bunch of stuff over the years. I can't see any reason to put up with the punishment that the boat paddle stock dishes out.

Harry

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
145 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 11 invisible), 1,430 guests, and 809 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,590
Posts18,397,899
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.