Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
cervus Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Ingwe,,,,,Hey thanks for the terminal info on the ttsx. Are pretty keen on these. Rifle is a 1 in 8 twist and I have abox of 50gr ttsx plus a few 55gr ttsx on hand.

Just out of interest did you have any difficulty finding an accurate load with these,, I ask as with my rifle to feed from magazine they require quite a bit of jump??

Last edited by cervus; 06/03/16.
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
When the 64pp first came out I sectioned one and the jacket is very thick. It's designed like a big game bullet and is tough so it holds together, but that was before barnes bullets were available.

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by cervus
Ingwe,,,,,Hey thanks for the terminal info on the ttsx. Are pretty keen on these. Rifle is a 1 in 8 twist and I have abox of 50gr ttsx plus a few 55gr ttsx on hand.

Just out of interest did you have any difficulty finding an accurate load with these,, I ask as with my rifle to feed from magazine they require quite a bit of jump??

Good questions.

No trouble finding an accurate load.....I found a good load with a handful of different powders...IMR4064, IMR4895, H335, and TAC. TAC offers the most in speed and temperature insensitivity. IMR4895 is a pretty close second.
First: the TTSX will usually require a bit of a jump. Barnes recommends .050 but mine often run a tad more.
Found out the 1 in 8 twist is the way to go.....I have a 1 in 12 that LOVES them at my present altitude of 3800 feet,HATED them at 600 feet in Texas. The 1 in 8 shoots good everywhere.
I actually got more speed out of the 55 TTSX over the 50 grainer ( Less bearing surface =less pressure=less velocity on the 50 grainer)
Ive used them, plus the 50 grainers, plus the 53 gr TSX extensively on deer sized game and recovered exactly one bullet...a 53 gr TSX.
Was just exchanging ideas with an Aussie on this forum about this and its use on Red Deer and Sambar. I wouldn't hesitate if you are confident on your shot placement....

Last edited by ingwe; 06/03/16.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by davet

That said I have my dedicated .223 deer loads with Sierra 65grn right now,

Have you shot any deer with this bullet? I really like the way it shoots and have been loading it for an all-around bullet in my AR, but haven't shot any deer with it yet. Sure kills water jugs pretty dead though!

I wanted to like the 62gr TSX, read a lot of good reviews about it, but had trouble finding an accurate load with it in my 1:8 223 Wylde chambered AR that I wanted to use it in. Being limited to mag length at 2.260" and the long throat in the Wylde chamber, jump is around .100" or more. Any tips are welcome for making that work; best I could do was about a 3 moa load.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by davet

That said I have my dedicated .223 deer loads with Sierra 65grn right now,

Have you shot any deer with this bullet? I really like the way it shoots and have been loading it for an all-around bullet in my AR, but haven't shot any deer with it yet. Sure kills water jugs pretty dead though!

I wanted to like the 62gr TSX, read a lot of good reviews about it, but had trouble finding an accurate load with it in my 1:8 223 Wylde chambered AR that I wanted to use it in. Being limited to mag length at 2.260" and the long throat in the Wylde chamber, jump is around .100" or more. Any tips are welcome for making that work; best I could do was about a 3 moa load.
I shot one deer with the 65 Sierra and was not impressed. It was a broadside double lung shot. Bullet hit a rib going in and that was enough to break it up, as I had three small exits on the far side as well as lead and jacket fragments lodged in the far chest wall. Despite the fact that it came unglued, it still did FAR LESS damage to the lungs than I repeatedly get with 55 grain Hornady sp's.

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by Higbean
I've used 75gr Swift, 64gr Power Points, 62gr TSX and 70gr TSX. I've seen 53gr Barnes in action too.

62gr Barnes are my favorite, though I do like the 75gr Swift quite a bit.

Have you shot any with the 75 Amax?

Did you see it in the list?

That made me laugh.

I've never stayed at a Holiday Inn Express, but I have used the 75 amax a bit on critters. Not a lot of variation on terminal results, everything died in short order. Mind you, I fling them out of a Montana 223AI, so that makes every bullet way more uber.

I've smacked more than a few coyotes with it, and have yet to see them do anything other than fold up in a ball. Usually with a significant exit wound....

Have shot/seen shot several whitetails with it, from 12 yards (pretty big buck that heard me walking through a patch of brush and ran right up to me as I was trying to push him out for the neighbors kid) which got shot in the chest. Bullet made it into stomach, and at 25 degrees below freezing I wasn't going digging for it. Buddy of mine shot a big whitetail in my field at 319 yards, which was his first 22cf deer. "Where do you want me to shoot this thing???" "Bust shoulders. Trust me."
Bang flopped so quick that he lost track of it in the scope. Dug the bullet out of the bone on the inside of the offside shoulder, weighed 39 grains and change IIRC.

Been a few others, and a couple/few black bears. One was pretty big (fall bear) that a girlfriends dogs put up in my yard, that took exception to me being there.
Probably one of the ONLY times I was out on my place without a rifle. Run back to the house, and that one was closest to the door, so that was the one that went back out.

That was the only shot I've taken that I *think* might have ended quicker had I been carrying a heavy rifle (like a 243AI / 105 Amax). That one, the shot presented was a hole through the trees at maybe 75 yards, where I could see his head, and when he turned it square broadside to me I shot him very carefully at the butt of his ear. Not exactly sure how, but I dropped that shot low and left by a couple of inches and didn't put it through his brain. I DID however put it through the bones in the top of his mouth and blow his teeth out on the top. It did hit him hard enough to crack his skull, but not hard enough to scramble his eggs. Bang flopped him, but he was still almost able to move when I walked up. I tend to think that a 105 Amax would have killed him with the same placement, but that's just a guess.
The second one at 15-ish yards went in behind the close shoulder, and OUT in the back of the offside one, but I don't think any bone was hit.
Incidentally, I found the first bullet stuck in an aspen tree behind where he was standing (after seeing the exit, I started looking), and it weighed about 35 grains.

Originally Posted by Someone
Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Son and I have used 75 TAP and 55 TSX in .223 under 100 yards. But a couple he took at near 200 w 55 CL .22/250 just collapsed.

Any .233 load deemed legal in your state should work great if properly directed. Premiums always better through shoulders.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I shot one deer with the 65 Sierra and was not impressed. It was a broadside double lung shot. Bullet hit a rib going in and that was enough to break it up, as I had three small exits on the far side as well as lead and jacket fragments lodged in the far chest wall. Despite the fact that it came unglued, it still did FAR LESS damage to the lungs than I repeatedly get with 55 grain Hornady sp's.

Interesting, thanks for the feedback.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have 500 pulled 62 gr TBBC that I plan to use on deer, hogs and dogs (coyotes) this fall. They should work great for all three if I can develop a good load. But I don’t expect to use them all this year! wink

NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The 50 gn GMX works well.

Originally Posted By: P_Weed

I never met a gun I didn't like.

SEdge,

I have an AMT Hardballer I can fix you up with.
IC B3

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I have killed deer with 45 gr barnes X's up to Federal bonded 62 gr LE loads. All have killed without issue. What makes the 223 so lethal is it is easy to get in a well placed shot. I have probably killed more deer with a 55gr Vmax than anything though. Yep, it's a full fledged vermin bullet but kills deer fairly quick for me.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Any bullet placed thus
[Linked Image]

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
C
cervus Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by ingwe

Good questions.

No trouble finding an accurate load.....I found a good load with a handful of different powders...IMR4064, IMR4895, H335, and TAC. TAC offers the most in speed and temperature insensitivity. IMR4895 is a pretty close second.
First: the TTSX will usually require a bit of a jump. Barnes recommends .050 but mine often run a tad more.
Found out the 1 in 8 twist is the way to go.....I have a 1 in 12 that LOVES them at my present altitude of 3800 feet,HATED them at 600 feet in Texas. The 1 in 8 shoots good everywhere.
I actually got more speed out of the 55 TTSX over the 50 grainer ( Less bearing surface =less pressure=less velocity on the 50 grainer)
Ive used them, plus the 50 grainers, plus the 53 gr TSX extensively on deer sized game and recovered exactly one bullet...a 53 gr TSX.
Was just exchanging ideas with an Aussie on this forum about this and its use on Red Deer and Sambar. I wouldn't hesitate if you are confident on your shot placement....

Ingwe......Thanks for that info on the 50/55gr ttsx. Have taken on board what you said about the speed differences between the two. Will definitely be checking out the 55grs....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If I had to use one of mine for that service, I'd grab the Hornady 60 grain SP and load a case up with either 25 grains of IMR 4895, AR Comp or H322

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Ingwe......Thanks for that info on the 50/55gr ttsx. Have taken on board what you said about the speed differences between the two. Will definitely be checking out the 55grs....

10-4

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'll let you know in October.

[Linked Image]

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I used the 55 gr TTSX last year on a white tail pushed to just over 3300 fps in an 8 twist 223 Tikka. Shot was about 100 yds. Though it's a small sample I was very pleased with the results. I'll be useing it again this year.

The 55 ttsx in my rifle is very accurate.

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

[Linked Image]

P

Dat should be a dandy combo! laugh

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

62gr Barnes are my favorite, though I do like the 75gr Swift quite a bit.

This. I have killed several deer and some big-ass hogs with the 62 grain TSX at about 3,050 fps from an LWRC AR-15. They didn't stand a chance.

Chris
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

[Linked Image]

P

Dat should be a dandy combo! laugh

The pic is from my first range session with the TTSX. The rifle was sighted in for the 50 gr BT Varmint using Benchmark. Comparable accuracy, right at 3400 fps mv.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

625 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 2,780 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,573
Posts18,453,908
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.