-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
OP Offline
C
Im looking to get a recurve mainly for deer around #50. Which one of these is the quietest and has the smoother draw? Im open to other brands as well but i need a takedown. Thanks in advance.

GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I would NOT buy anything that has a reflex riser (steer clear of the PSE Coyote or Martin Jaguar).

This is an excellent review of trad gear and aiming systems, 2 hrs long and well done.

Worth the watch.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
The bows you mentioned are going to be fast for their riser deisgn, but also more picky and maybe less comfy at the shot.

The Hoyt Dorado is a better choice IMHO. Unfortunately it is not cheap. I paid 300 for the riser alone and modified some Trad Tech wood/glass limbs to fit.

It is NOT an ILF riser.

If you want a metal take down, tool-less, I'd go ILF.
Of course a metal ILF riser isn't cheap. Big Rock sells one (also shown on Lancaster Archery website). It's Chinese and 200 bucks (riser only).

Lancaster is also TradTech and they have wood ILF risers, as do quite a few other places (some custom, some not).

The lower end PSE takedown stuff, dunno who makes them. They had different ones before, made by Ragim and there were quality issues.

Samick made some OK takedowns, but then they moved some production from Korea to China and quality took a hit.

I had a Samick Phantom and modified the riser to my liking. Buddy bought it and it's still going, about 6 yrs later. I think it was a Korean built one though.
Know my Samick Rival/Equus was Korean. That one is a 1 pc and shoots pretty nice.

My other bow is a take down, a 1972 Blackwidow. Metal riser, can't get limbs for it should one break. Used (like new) I paid $300 for it.

IMHO you should visit a shop and try a few out, see what things you like better than others.

Being a reflexive type of thing, "try before you buy" could be a biggie.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Good stuff tends to cost.
But deer don't know how much you spend.

Some designs have better feel and performance.
Too many compound guys are getting suckered by compound type riser recurves (IMHO).

Kinda honks me off, archery manufacturers gaming like that.

They might work OK for bowfishing, due to lower cost and the ability to mount reels on them, but for hunting rabbits, deer and other........I'd go with something else.

BTW, don't see needing an Allen wrench to take apart a bow as a big thing. But I rarely take my takedowns apart.
They stay tuned when they don't have the string off.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
My 1972 Blackwidow HF1225 48#

Not as deflex as my previous Blackwidow HS58........but with the rear limbs and heavy mass weight, it shoots good and is forgiving.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by hookeye; 06/05/16.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cowboysforlife34
Im looking to get a recurve mainly for deer around #50. Which one of these is the quietest and has the smoother draw? Im open to other brands as well but i need a takedown. Thanks in advance.

Frankly, the Samick Sage is a pretty nice little bow. It's very inexpensive, but will serve you quite well until you're ready to step up to something in a whole other class. Great "beginner" bow, that punches well above its weight.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I bought two sets of Sage limbs for a couple of Warf builds. They were a bit lacking in finish.

Smoothed up the edges and sealed them. Were fine after that.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (1minute, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 222Sako, 54 invisible), 2,783 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,710
Posts18,456,891
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.