Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Purchased my first Colt Light Rifle in 270 off of GB, seem like a good price so I JUMPED ON IT. I have a pair of Forbes 24B's that shoot great and hoping CLR version will shoot as good.

Have read write ups from several campfire members on having Melvin re-barrel their CLR'S and have a few questions.

I can GET a drop in stock from MELVIN for $450, if the .270 shoots great and I decided keep it what does a CLR weigh with a NULA Stock?

What calibers have others had their CLR re-barrel to? It would make a sweet 1:8 twist 6mm-06 or 240 WBY, or a 9.3x62 or ? Just looking for suggestions from those that have already completed their's as I plan a build.

Thanks

Ted
BP-B6

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ted,
I am pretty confident the factory CLR weighs 6-11 +\- 2 oz. Mel's upgraded stock is 10oz lighter (26oz).

I have done this s few times and weigh everything on a digital postal scale.

Dave

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Is this actually a Colt sporting rifle? Back in the late 60's and early 70's Colt was selling a rifle made for them by J.P. Sauer. It was a beautiful rifle but beyond my means!

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
It is a Colt Light Rifle that was a joint effort with Melvin Forbes.

Ted
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by old_willys
Purchased my first Colt Light Rifle in 270 off of GB, seem like a good price so I JUMPED ON IT. I have a pair of Forbes 24B's that shoot great and hoping CLR version will shoot as good.

Have read write ups from several campfire members on having Melvin re-barrel their CLR'S and have a few questions.

I can GET a drop in stock from MELVIN for $450, if the .270 shoots great and I decided keep it what does a CLR weigh with a NULA Stock?

What calibers have others had their CLR re-barrel to? It would make a sweet 1:8 twist 6mm-06 or 240 WBY, or a 9.3x62 or ? Just looking for suggestions from those that have already completed their's as I plan a build.

Thanks

Haven't gotten around to having mine (06) done. Thought was originally to make it a 280, but then I bought a Ruger 77 in that caliber and that itch was scratched. Currently thinking 6mm Remington, but then I have a No.1V in that caliber.....

So, mine is still an 06. It shoots well, mostly. NEEDS a better trigger. When you get around to optics, definitely consider a Leupold 6x36 - it just fits.

I, too, have a Forbes - it shoots well also. Too bad they were to stoopid to make it.

Kaiser Norton

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I bought a CLR in 270 Win. a couple of years ago and sent it to Melvin for a redo.

He made me a 7x57 with all of his extras. It is literally the lightest, all up, rifle that I own.

It is the top one of the two in this picture.

[Linked Image]

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Same gun in '06, sitting in the safe, waiting to go to Melvin. Probably send it in early fall. It'll probably stay an '06....unless the original barrel won't shoot, after Mr Melvin's stock/bedding/trigger work. It can always go back, and it can always turn into something else, but I've got plenty of other calibers and guns, and if I wanted just one rifle that was light enough and cartridge enough to try and do it all, 30-06 is probably as good as anything....no matter how 'mundane' it usually seems to me.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have one I sent to Melvin, it came back a 280AI.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have one that Mr Forbes worked his magic on. It has a 24" Douglas #2 chambered in 257 Wby. Weighs exactly 6lbs and is unbelievably accurate.

I have another CLR that I talked to him about building in 6.5-06 but he didn't have that reamer when we spoke and it got pushed to the back of the safe. If a 6.5-06 interests you, I'll split the reamer cost with you.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm no help here but out of the 3 cartridges you mentioned I'd have to go
6-06. I contacted Mr. Forbes about turning a 270 into a 6.5x284 and he said no "it won't feed worth a crap" Then again I'd smack myself silly to have a 9.3 that he put together. Most people say that their CLR 270 shoot very well. With that said and I didn't mind a .277, I'd buy the stock and bolt it together without bedding and see what it does. If that combo don't make you smile I'd send it in for the barrel twisted right and turned the contour that suites and have HIM do a full length bedding. Most anyone can bed a action but to get a clean full bedding job takes a few practice runs.

Want To Buy;
Form die for a 7mm Mashburn Super.
.284 Hornady AMax 162gr.
.224 Hornady AMax 75gr.
22-250 bushing die
Bushing die that will work with the 7mm Mashburn Super
A couple Glock 42 380ACP mags
IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
I am leaning towards a 1:8 twist 6mm-06 or 240 WBY MAG I know folks seem to put the 6mm-06 above the 240 WM but after having 2 of them the only issue I had with the 240 wby is the 1:10 Weatherby uses.

Ted
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The one my son shoots does well with the original .270 barrel. Initial loads with virtually no work up shot an inch or under. Just put in an order for the NULA stock. I think I will replace the firing pin spring and possibly the trigger and then call it done. I did get a new magazine follower for vanity reasons.

RE: 6-06 or 240 WBY I think I would take the simplicity and cheaper brass route. With a base forming die you can make 240 out of 25-06 brass but why? Also the CLR is a model 28 action so if you wanted to go Weatherby then the .257 is in the running.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What is the wait time on one of those stocks?

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have one in 30-06 I want a new stock on (and probably the firing pin spring and trigger). I got it pretty cheap before they started sky rocketing in price. I originally loaded it with 130 gr TSX and it usually shot around an inch or so. When I switched from a deer load to elk using 165 gr FailSafe bullets the first powder I tried dropped them into a high .3" group. But, it does have some issues with factory ammo, failure to fire, and once with reloads. Also, the cold bore is nowhere near as good as a warm up shot or two, I'm thinking this rifle will really shine with a fully bedded Melvin stock.

For those who have upgraded the stock, did you have to send it to Melvin or does he just send it to you? I think my smith could probably do the firing pin and trigger work and bedding.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
To get a proper FL bed job, I assume Melvin needs your barreled action.

I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by bellydeep

Sorry just now saw this.

About 2 months +/- for the drop in. These have no bedding and a free floated barrel channel tolerances are so close it is not needed according to Mr. Forbes. Bedding won't hurt especially if I have it in and out of the stock on a regular basis. If it doesn't shoot I can always send it back for the full bedding job.

Comes in basic black only. A paint upgrade starts at around $45.00. No idea of the wait time to have it shop bedded, but I would allow at least another month. I'll do the trigger and firing pin change out. Melvin wanted $250 for the three function trigger installed. For that price I might as well go with a Jewell.

Just was reminded by the other CLF thread. If you have the rifle shop bedded I think it includes balancing the stock to your barrel. I think the pad is a glue on so this can't be done afterward very easily.

Last edited by Tejano; 06/06/16.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My CLR/NULA in 270 weighed 7lbs 3oz all up with 3-9x40 conquest three 130gr rounds and light sling.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tejano
Originally Posted by bellydeep

Sorry just now saw this.

About 2 months +/- for the drop in. These have no bedding and a free floated barrel channel tolerances are so close it is not needed according to Mr. Forbes. Bedding won't hurt especially if I have it in and out of the stock on a regular basis. If it doesn't shoot I can always send it back for the full bedding job.

Comes in basic black only. A paint upgrade starts at around $45.00. No idea of the wait time to have it shop bedded, but I would allow at least another month. I'll do the trigger and firing pin change out. Melvin wanted $250 for the three function trigger installed. For that price I might as well go with a Jewell.

Just was reminded by the other CLF thread. If you have the rifle shop bedded I think it includes balancing the stock to your barrel. I think the pad is a glue on so this can't be done afterward very easily.

Thanks.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
If I had a CLR to play with I'd do a 280, 280 AI, 30-06, or 338-06, personally.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
471 members (1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 41 invisible), 2,478 guests, and 1,075 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,400,955
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.