Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
[Linked Image]

(This is actually from May 29th. I'm just a bit slow to post...)

After getting a glimpse of a rogue boar Friday evening, I've been on the lookout for his return and even sweetened the deal by leaving out some additional enticement in the form of corn and a few other goodies. And shortly after 6 a.m. on the 29th, his quest for an easy meal turned into a fairly simple shot for me.

From a relatively stable rest near the house, I was able to place a 120 grain Ballistic Tip from my 7mm Bullberry Contender carbine right where it mattered most. With the slight quartering angle, the Nosler entered tight behind the onside shoulder and exited the center of the opposite shoulder, wrecking the heart and taking out a portion of the lungs as well. The hog went exactly 10 yards after the shot and left a swath of red-painted grass along the way. The exit was the size of a quarter and had small bone fragments in evidence. The range of the shot was 210 yards.

After years of using almost nothing but 140 grainers with outstanding success in this and the 7-30 Waters as well, I dropped down to 120s in both last winter in an effort to reduce the already-mild recoil even more due to persistent pain in the shoulders. My notes are next door, but the load -- propelled by LVR -- develops somewhere around 2650 fps and is exceedingly accurate.

[Linked Image]

GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Congratulations Bobby,

I enjoy seeing your posts and your Contender Carbines. Please tell us about the stock. Also about the 7mm Bullberry compared to the 7x30 Waters.

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person”
-Fred Bear
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks. The stock is from Jacob Meyer at HighPlainsGunstocks.com and is the Pegasus thumbhole series in sapphire. I've had it a number of years now and like it -- a lot.

The 7mm BB is simply the 30-30 necked down to 7mm (basically a 7mm Int'l Rimmed at that point). You then trim back the unnecessarily-long neck and fireform, winding up with an extremely efficient 1.75" case. My 7BB is 20 1/8th " and my 7-30 is 24". The 7BB comes within 75-150 fps of the Waters and generally burns a grain or two less powder.

Brass life is exceptional. I got this barrel in 1997 and still have cases from my very first batch. They have never been annealed and have seen 24 full-house loadings. The primer pockets are still snug, and the necks still have ample tension.

It's a mild round but has proven to be extremely lethal on hogs. I've long lost count of those the Bullbery put on the ground, and there have been a couple of brutes in the mix as well.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Bobby,

Thanks for the response. That hog is a brute.
I will look into the stock and sounds like the 7mm BB is a great round. So many combinations of stocks, barrels, and cartridges. So little time.

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person”
-Fred Bear
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Dr. Tony Gettel also makes some gorgeous stock sets and is priced about the same as High Plains.

http://www.tonysforendsandgrips.net/

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Bobby,
You are a true testament to the shooting sports.
I am consistently impressed with your ballistic familiarity and your shooting prowess.
Plus, you're a dang fine fellow.
Thank you, good sir!
Jimmy in VA

...making America shoot straight again.
K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by gemihur
Bobby,
I am consistently impressed with your ballistic familiarity and your shooting prowess.
Thank you, good sir!
Jimmy in VA

I couldn't have said it any better!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by gemihur
Bobby,
Thank you, good sir!
Jimmy in VA

This ^^^^^^^...!

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by BobbyTomek
Dr. Tony Gettel also makes some gorgeous stock sets and is priced about the same as High Plains.

http://www.tonysforendsandgrips.net/

[Linked Image]

I've got the same set from Tony in Mountain Green. Love it.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 62 invisible), 2,402 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,663
Posts18,455,732
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.