Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Hello all I am having the Weatherby custom shop put a 25 barrel on a older Vanguard I have. I have no logical reason for the caliber other than it has always interested me and my friend had one when I was young that I was always envious of.

I don't have any "lighter" rifles so I am leaning toward their new #2 fluted 24" barrel that come on the new wilderness rifles. They are going to matte blue the action and bolt to match and put a detachable magazine on it. Picked out a brown with black web B&C stock and Timney trigger. Pretty excited for the poor man's custom. laugh

Just curious if this idea is flawed, I don't have any experience in putting something like this together. I thought maybe the light barrel was a bad idea for the caliber but they produce them so maybe it will be a fine set up. Thanks

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I like the 25-06 and I have a "lighter" one myself. Mine is a Tikka T3 Lite. With a 3-9x40 Nikon Monarch UCC up top it weighs a hair over 7.5lbs. That being said, I've had a Vanguard and it wouldn't be my first choice to customize if weight was one of my criteria. The one I had was in a Magnum chambering and the extra weight helped with the recoil. I've never owned a B&C stock. I read good things about the quality of them, but light weight is not one of their attributes.

I guess the big question is how lightweight are you looking for? It sounds like you may end up with quite a bit of money in a good solid rifle, but it may not be a slim and trim as you are wanting.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Good idea for a project. If it were me, I would have them install a magnum contour barrel, 24" long. I don't think a light barrel on that action will benefit you. The Ruger M77 MKII has a Magnum contour and I have found it to be my favorite 25-06 set up. Having owned 25-06s in Tikka T3 to a Sendero, the Ruger and 700 CDL have been my favorites.

A man only learns in two ways, one by reading, and the other by association with smarter people.
P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Thanks guys for the points they make sense, maybe I will rethink the "lighter" part of this. Although cost isn't my main concern (it's sentimental) I still want it to make sense. Given my starting gun is never going to be a real light weight and the fact I like the B&C stock which as pointed out isn't a true lightweight a heavier contour might be a better route. I'm used to rifles with more heft anyways and felt recoil Will be even less! Really appreciate your perspectives!

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Great choice, I love quarter bores. I used to have 2 25-06's both in Savages. One a lightweight, the other in a police/tactical model from the mid 90's.

Now I have a 257 Roberts and a 250-3000.

At least you didn't go 270.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have two 25-06's. Both have #3 barrels on them. Both are not 'light' in the weight category but both print sub-.5" groups. They are pretty much my 'go-to' rifle when I head out to hunt.
I've taken everything from prairie dogs to elk with them.

I'd have to echo TATELAW's comments that the Vanguard is not exactly a light-weight base to build on. That said, I really do like the quarter-bore and think you'll find it a great addition to your menagerie. I think the 24" barrel will squeeze out the best in the cartridge and wish I'd done the one I re-barreled years ago in that length.
For an 'over-bored' cartridge, one of mine has over 3500 rounds through it and still prints the groups above.
Put some good glass on it and after break-in, work up some good loads for the rifle. You'll really enjoy that caliber.

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I had the custom shop drop a Vanguard I had in one of their Back Country stocks which cut 12 oz of my .240 wby.

Ted
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Had several 25-06's over the years, great round I used as my main Whitetail gun. Started with a Sako A7 that shot under .5 MOA but it was heavier than I wanted. Going lighter I got a T3 then a Sako Finnlight.

Finally the lightest gun I currently own a Forbes 24B that comes in well under 7 lbs with a Z3 3.5-10x42 w/ BRH scope, shells and sling. With Federal 100 TSX (now discontinued) it shoots that factory sub MOA which is better than I can load.

Last edited by old_willys; 06/07/16.

Ted
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would go with a 1/9" twist, even if somebody other than weatherby had to be involved.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Thanks for all the feedback! You have really reassured me on my choice. It was almost 30 years ago I saw my buddy's 25-06 and thought "self I'm gonna get one of those one day" with all the replies it sounds like I am not the only one who's eye it has caught. (johnw I hear you on the 1/9!)

Last edited by PopenYoung; 06/08/16.
IC B3

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I love the cartridge; quarterbores rule. The 25-06 is a fanastic choice!

As has been said the Vangard is a really heavy action, and the B&C is a heavy synthetic stock, but that doesn't mean cutting weight on the barrel is a bad idea.

For a poor man's custom as you call it you can do a lot worse. I was introduced to the 'fire about the time if finished my first, also a quarterbore. That one is still in my arsenal along with a bunch more and thanks to this place I'm positive I'm just one more build away from that perfect "build to end all builds".

Keep coming back and show us pics of some targets and animals when you've got her shooting!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by johnw
I would go with a 1/9" twist, even if somebody other than weatherby had to be involved.

This...

Chris
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mine is a Win 70 with a Shilen medium weight barrel at 24" in a McMillan Featherweight stock with a 6x Schmidt & Bender scope in Talley rings and bases. It's a breeze to shoot and kills deer well.

I've always had a soft spot for 25s, my current collection includes
1 250 Savage
3 257 Roberts
1 25-06
1 257 Weatherby

All Win 70s with Shilen or Douglas barrels.

My son's have taken at least 10 GA deer with the 250 Savage, all one shot kills. Observing the effectiveness of that little 100 gr bullet at 2600 fps kill changed my perspective on what it takes to kill a deer. That said, all shots were under 100 yards.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Great choice, Awesome caliber!, my favorite. I've been using one for over 25yrs and have taken countless deer with it over those years. You won't regret owning one.

Life's Tough, God's Good, Pray Hard!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I had Karl at kampfeldcustom.com build me a 25-06AI 3 years ago and could not be happier.Great deer,hog and varmint rifle.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Geez 257Bob I almost passed out reading your post. What an all-star line up, congrats on the fine fleet!!

I will certainly keep you all posted and show some targets when the fateful day arrives.

Thanks again to each of you for the contribution, it helped me out.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (10Glocks, 808outdoors, Akhutr, 21, Algotguns, 1973cb450, 9 invisible), 1,505 guests, and 707 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,678
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.