Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tag

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Hexamine fuel tabs (by Esbit or Coglan's available from Amazon. You can get the small ones (.02) oz. Squeeze a little Purell hand sanitizer on them and hit them with a striker on a magnesium rod and they light first time, every time and burn hot. The larger tabs will burn for 9 minutes (as another poster above noted). Hexamine has a shelf life of about forever. Put the Purell in a 1 oz. squeeze bottle and it will have a shelf life of damn near forever too and the 1 oz bottle will accelerate the lighting of dozens of Hexamine tabs.

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Shooter71
I don't want this to sound like I'm the only dude who's ever almost died but having sorta recently broken through lake ice while backcountry skiing I learned that the cutesy fire starting methods won't work when you actually need a fire right now, and space blankets take forever to unroll when your flesh is freezing and are useless in the wind. I've switched to road flares and the SOL bivy sacks.

Road flares are by far the best fail proof that I"ve seen. If they made em in 5-10 minute models, or what I'm thinking of as about half the normal size, and you could carry 2-3.. you should easily start a fire no matter how tough life got.

The foil blankets....nope... we do carry the tarp types though... but we always carry a 30 degree bag and bivy just in case anyway. And have been moving away from the tarp type blankets to a silnylon 8x8 tarp for rain showers and glassing cover etc.. double duty as a wind block and so on. But then I'm anal, and we have a pocket rocket and some instant tea/oatmeal most of the time too....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I also carry a ZIPPO. By putting a "ranger" band around the body opening, it makes it water tight and the fuel will last a long, long time. Here is a post I made in another thread aboout the same subject with a picture of my ZIPPO with the rubber band around the opening.

I've found over the years the ZIPPO is very easy to fire up when my hands are so cold I can barely move my fingers. Beats hell out of any Bic I ever saw.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/8780980/Searchpage/1/Main/616131/Words/Zippo/Search/true/Re:_Zippo_lighters#Post8780980

Works for me.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by Shooter71
I don't want this to sound like I'm the only dude who's ever almost died but having sorta recently broken through lake ice while backcountry skiing I learned that the cutesy fire starting methods won't work when you actually need a fire right now, and space blankets take forever to unroll when your flesh is freezing and are useless in the wind. I've switched to road flares and the SOL bivy sacks.

Road flares are by far the best fail proof that I"ve seen. If they made em in 5-10 minute models, or what I'm thinking of as about half the normal size, and you could carry 2-3.. you should easily start a fire no matter how tough life got.

The foil blankets....nope... we do carry the tarp types though... but we always carry a 30 degree bag and bivy just in case anyway. And have been moving away from the tarp type blankets to a silnylon 8x8 tarp for rain showers and glassing cover etc.. double duty as a wind block and so on. But then I'm anal, and we have a pocket rocket and some instant tea/oatmeal most of the time too....
Orion makes both 5 and 10 minute flares. I don't know where to buy them in packS of less than 144, though. ORION 5 MIN FLARES

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
While searching for them, I found out that flares in large quantities are getting harder to find because they use them to make meth.

Walmart carries 3 min signal flares. I don't know how they compare to road flares for fire starting. They're pricey, though, at $28 per 4-pack
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Orion-Locate-4-Handheld/16326929

Gander Mtn has a 2-pack for $10. http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=851243

― George Orwell

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
are signal flares aerial?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Be carefull of Bic lighters in the cold at high elevation. My experience is that they fail every time.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Bics are filled with butane, aren't they? Butane doesn't do well at high altitudes or in the cold. It needs to change to a gas to burn in a lighter or stove and it's boiling point is slightly below the freezing point of water, about 30F. In the cold it's hard to get it to change to a gas.

― George Orwell

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I wish I knew that about Bic lighters when I lived in Colorado and climbed fourteeners regularly, some in the winter in well below the freezing point of water (and skin, and lots of other things). All kidding aside, they work fine at high altitude in the cold, you just have to keep them in an inside pocket. We used to put half a bottle of warm water in one boot, and the stove fuel and lighters in the other boot, then put the boots in a sleeping bag stuff sack, then put the works in the bottom of the sleeping bag for the night. I still buy long sleeping bags to this day.

Oh, and back to the original topic - we used to walk the train tracks near crossings and pick up the dud and half burnt railroad flares. Cut them off in 2" pieces and dunk in hot paraffin a couple times. Had to take a knife and use the point to loosen up the wax and powder on one end before lighting, but worked well and gave about 5 minutes burn time. Could probably do the same with store bought road flares.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
they work fine at high altitude in the cold, you just have to keep them in an inside pocket.
In that case, they're not in the cold. Leave them in a cold pack, though, and it's another story. Then you need a Zippo.
As far as altitude goes, those butane bbq strikers usually fail somewhere around 5 to 6000'. The ones in our camper never work in the mtns and I've tried about every brand.

― George Orwell

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I know you know the first rule of fire starters - have two and keep them on you at all times, so pulling one out of a pocket is more realistic than fishing around in a backpack for a cold one isn't it?

Your luck with butane lighters sucks. I've used the same butane bbq striker in our popup for years, usually in 7000 to 8000 feet range, down to 15 degrees at night, and never not had hot coffee first thing in the morning. I had to get a new one this year, and was feeling adventurous, so I bought a different brand. Damn if it didn't work too. You know there's a little sparky thingy on butane lighters that you have to work with your thumb or finger, right?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Okanagan
Like you, I start a fire the quickest way unless practicing with more minimal gear-- or unless my hands are so cold they are losing dexterity.

More than once my hands have been too cold to flick a Bic type lighter using the normal motion. Don't know if that has happened to anyone else.

This is why I use piezoelectric lighters whenever I can get them.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Trioxane bars.

I carry 2 or 3, and that would enable me to start fires for a couple weeks. All for the grand total of less than one dollar. And they weigh next to nothing.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Bic and cotton balls with Vaseline or wax in a pill bottle.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (1minute, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 160user, 59 invisible), 2,122 guests, and 1,149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,106
Posts18,464,235
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.