Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 48 1 2 3 4 47 48
C_ROY Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I sent him all these replies and advised him to get a .308. He plans to look at different rifles this weekend.

PASS IT ON!
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Before he buys a new rifle, he should consider the power still remaining at the 600 yard mark for that particular cartridge. Even a svelte 165 Accubond in the 308 drops 76" when sighted in at 200 yards; over 6 ft.....and energy falls down to the 1,000 ft/lbs or less. That's a pretty marginal Elk round at 600 yards.

C_ROY Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I agree but I have a feeling once he starts shooting at distance he will realize 600 yds is a poke. And in my experience 99% of the time finding away to get closer is an option.

I'm afraid if he gets a magnum sufficient range & trigger time may not happen to have the skill set to take a 400 yd. + shot in a hunting situation.

PASS IT ON!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
A tikka CTR in .308 or a Ruger RPR in 6.5 Creedmore
Put some sort of SWFA on it and go shoot it with decent ammo.
Creedmore has some of the best factory ammo for this purpose and there is enough .308 loads out there to find something that will shoot good.......
JMHO and worth what it cost.......

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've got or shot every chambering cited and a fhuqk of a lot that ain't. Hint.

For setting up a Newb who doesn't load,the 6.5 Creed is far and away the most for the least. Nothing in a Factory Box begins to touch it for BC,Precision and modest recoil. Nothing.

600yds is fhuqking 1st Grade child's play,with an outta da' box Montucky Adirondack Creed' and Factory 140 ELD's at 2650fps. The Agg's are stupid,ES/SD trite,the pile driving ass apparent and the lack of recoil only adds greatness to the equation. The throat is right,the twist is right and COAL latitude is right as well...so all the Terminal Affects dots are connected,because one can simply have his way with projectiles.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I'm done with LW's,because I've broken too many sets and I'd simply default Reupold DD's with a 6x MQ for Utility Killing. The aforementioned Factory Fodder at the speed cited and zero'd at the 200yd line,will crush the 1050yd line on the reticle alone. Even with a "flat" mounting system,there's more than enough erector alone to reach wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy past the 1500yd line. Conjoined,a mile of reach is more than granted. Hint.

If he could miss a milk jug at the 600yd line ala MPAJ/Ruck with said platform,I'd be rather fhuqking impressed with his Dumbfhuqktitude.

Steer him towards the Sig Kilo LRF,score a coupla boxes of the ammo cited and he'd be blowing his own mind,3rd shot into the first box. Hint.

[Linked Image]

The prescribed .305 G7 BC is fhuqking money and as Factory Fodder goes,the schit is straight SINISTER.

Fhuqk the Fluff and cut to the gawwdamned chase with the GOOD schit. Handy/dandy HAMMERS ain't tough to swoon.

You've been led to water.

Hint.............................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think he is suggesting the 6.5 Creedmore.

A good choice for a newbie for the reasons stated.

The best combination of value and accuracy is the Savage.

This model would be my choice

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/pro...sortby=ourPicks&refType=&from=fn

As it would be easy to shoot well and all up is not too heavy for a man to tote.

The scope should follow the KISS plan. A Leupold 6x36 with the BH reticle is easy to use with no knob twiddling.

Shooting at big game at 600 yards is not a good idea. Stick with gongs for long range. Hunting is about getting as close as you can to make a clean kill. If you want to be Chris Kyle, join the military. No on will cry over a gut shot muzzie, our wonderful big game treasures deserve far better.

Having a dead gut shot Elk found by Sierra Club hikers next spring is a blackmark for ALL hunters.

Last edited by 320Keith; 06/03/16.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
This ain't going to take long

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Owl
In my opinion, this lies with the shooter and an accurate firearm more than the cartridge size.

As everyone has stated, practice, practice, practice if you're going to try shooting at long ranges of 600 yards. A well placed shot is what counts in my book. I think that more animals are lost due to someone thinking that because they have the latest and greatest new long range magnum that it will make up for a poorly placed shot. Someone that is more comfortable shooting a 260, 7-08, or .308 does much better than the guy with a .30-378, and flinch's with each round fired.

Personally, I would never try a 600 yard shot (or so I think). I've taken my fair share of elk in Utah, Nevada, and Arizona. Ive never had to shoot more than 200 yards (my choice). I've harvested 4 in Utah, 3 in Nevada, and 9 in Arizona.

The elk harvested in Utah and Nevada were taken with a .30-06 in 150 grn Sierra Spitzer boat tail handloads, or 180 grn round nose Remington Core-Lokt factory load.

Of the 9 in Arizona, all of them were under 140 yards with a muzzle loader. 5 with a .50 cal, using a .45 cal 300 grn Hornady XTP in a sabot and 150 grains of Triple 7 powder. The other 4 with a .54 cal, using a 600 grn maxi-ball and 120 grains of triple 7.

Yes, a well placed shot is what counts. Maybe have him go to the range with a few borrowed rifles to see what his recoil thresh hold is and narrow down the choices. Then start practicing.

Sorry for the rant. Just my opinion.

Everything in this post is solid, well articulated, far from a rant.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Robert_White

Neat Rifle, would like one someday, but 9 pounds sans scope for a 30-06 is a bit hefty. My 300 WBY gets close to that weight with a M8 6x42 on top.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
320 keith ~

Well said !

Starting with quality fixed Six
power scope forces one to learn
solid shooting skills out to 300-400.
A newbie should be proud to make
a ethical kill at that long range pre
dial up. That is if the hunter is
up to it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
6.5 Creedmoor

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
6.5 Creedmoor

Yup.

Stick nailed it. I do like mine.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I like mine.

Someone said the 6.5 Creedmoor is the .260 Remington done right. It is a well thought out round.

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
One of these days, I will break the factory load habit and stuff some hulls....but there isn't much real need. smile

This was among the first 3 shot groups I fired at 300 yards with the 120 gr Amax factory load. I fired another 3 and the group opened up, but still not bad for a factory load.

For reference the dot is 3".

[Linked Image]

Last edited by BobinNH; 07/10/16.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It's become very fashionable here to recommend cocktail-time cartridges for elk-"you know, I took that bull with a 140 out of a 260, no problem". Sure, it can be done and at times with aplomb. And I also respect guys like Brad and Bob and others absolutely.

But this isn't a military scenario wherein you don't have to kill a man to get him out of the fight, just wound him, take him out of the fight and eat their side's resources. In a sport hunting scenario you want/need to kill this animal now and humanely; stop him if you will from dropping off that ridge into the next canyon. It takes adequate precision and power, a combination of those two for most one-week-a-year elk hunters, every two to five years.

This is a very big animal, very vital, and ready to flee to the next county line, or three drainages over with even a severe but not immediately fatal wound. Why dance around the edge of certainty? Not that a big cartridge guarantees certainty but if you CAN shoot it, apply some bullet weight and energy to the task at hand. Amd most of my bulls have come at close to 400 yds or over, not close in.

To six hundred yards? A 6.5, or a 308? They are simply are not the best choices for elk to that range IMO; deer? Ok,Yes, but not elk. Again, to reiterate, not that it can't be done.

Nothing against anybody here but the crux here is long range-to 600 yards for a 500 to 900 lb animal that is inclined to wanting to be gone.

This aught to be interesting.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Boolits matter wayyyyyyyyyy more than headstamps. HINT.

If only for conversation and context.

The 6.5 Creed 143 Factory Fodder at 2700fps,zeroed at the 200yd line,do thusly at the 600yd line in 10mph full value atmospherics. Drop = 75",drift = 23",impact velocity = 1888fps and "energy" = 1132ft lbs.

A 300Winny squirting a 180NPT at 3100 fps,zeroed at the 200yd line,do thusly at the 600yd line in 10mph full value atmospherics. Drop = 70",drift = 36",impact velocity = 1710fps and "energy" = 1168ft lbs.

LOTSA folks think the 180NPT at 300Winny launch speeds is THE Grail,but I'd be quick to take the reduction in recoil,noise,wind drift and increase in impact velocity,conjoined with a shorter/lighter better handling parcel,as well as a minimum of (1) extry poke in the magazine...and that's not even making mention of the FACT that the Creed' would get shot a fhuqk of a LOT more in practice.

Just sayin'.

Hint.

Killing ain't difficult.

Re-hint.

(addendum)

Feel free to cite the headstamp,that is "exempt" from projectiles having a greater affect,than it's relative Brasstitude. Don't "forget",there ain't much I do not shoot. Hint.

Keeping the rifle handy/dandy and friendly,do countless favors that are tough to quantify,until one substitutes headstamps in exchange. Doubly so,when Factory Fodder is so incredibly SPECTACULAR. Hint.

Just what would YOU "suggest" for a non-reloader,to connect something so amazingly simplistic as a 600yd dot? Lay out the rifle,mounts/rings,glass and Factory Fodder,it's zero,amount of practice and conjoin same with your version of Terminal Affects.

I don't "encourage" anything other than proficiency,boolit selection and adhering one's relative abilities.

Hint.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Box, you're right but you can carry that argument only so far before you have to consider the headstamp too.

Most guys shouldn't be encouraged to shoot elk at long ranges anyway.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wonder why people think they can shoot 600 yards while they are new to the game.
I've seen other posts on other forums mentioning the magical 600 yards.
Is it due to the bdc reticlles that guys think he can place a round at 600 with out a problem?
Hunting isn't from the bench in perfect and ideal conditions or shot opportunity.

Last edited by Dre; 07/11/16.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
308, 308, 308

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Page 2 of 48 1 2 3 4 47 48

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

97 members (35, 7887mm08, 7x57Hunter, 44mc, Ashworth, 10 invisible), 1,261 guests, and 854 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,262
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.