Hop To
#11240138 06/10/16
B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I'm thinking about getting a set of tire chains for my 2014 Sierra. 1500 with the 20" tires. Anybody got any that they really like?

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Look in the owners manual. Some of the new pickups don't have enough clearance for chains, especially on the front. Others will allow the use of light car chains but not heavy truck chains. If you don't have the room for them, chains can do a lot of expensive damage under there.
A class S chain is for limited space. U is for unlimited space. Using a U where there's only room for an S is going to get very expensive.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Look in the owners manual. Some of the new pickups don't have enough clearance for chains, especially on the front. Others will allow the use of light car chains but not heavy truck chains. If you don't have the room for them, chains can do a lot of expensive damage under there.
A class S chain is for limited space. U is for unlimited space. Using a U where there's only room for an S is going to get very expensive.

Good info rockchuck. With that being said, I'll never be without a pickup that will allow the use of good ol heavy duty cam locks...That's what I run on my '04 GMC sierra in deep snow... 20" wheels on a 4x4 pickup. Give me a fu cking break..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

What Rock Chuck said.

I had a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500, with 20" wheels, that I could not run chains on due to limited space between tires and wheel wells.

My current 2016 GMC 2500 has 18" wheels, and plenty of room between tires and anything else in and around the wheel wells.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I have an 08 Dodge 2500. The manual says to use S chains on the front. The stock tires are 265-70-17. I have 245-75-17. They have the same weight capacity and height but are a couple inches narrower which allows for the use of U chains on the front. I have lots of room with these tires.

― George Orwell

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Seems that there's also a class W chain. Here are the definitions. I have a set of very heavy chains that I picked up on Craigslist for cheap. The steel in the cross links is 1/4" thick. I think they were made for a skid steer or something. I have the room on both the front and back for them. You wouldn't want to use them for long, though. To say they're rough riding is an understatement. Luckily I've only needed them once.

SAE Class S - Regular (non-reinforced) passenger tire traction devices for vehicles with restricted wheel well clearance.
SAE Class U - Regular (non-reinforced) and lug-reinforced passenger tire traction devices for vehicles with regular (non-restricted) wheel well clearances.
SAE Class W - Passenger tire traction devices that use light truck components, as well as some light truck traction devices.

[Linked Image]

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have really thick chains that I got at John Deere for my truck. I got the largest links, and wish I got the smaller links. Anyway they are a bit of a pain to mount compared to the much lighter cable chains. I use those the most now, and really cant recall putting the big chains on the truck in years. I still carry them. Some type of chain is mandatory or you will get stuck in the state forest roads around here. When it gets especially deep or icy, I have been using cables on all 4 tires. I only have one set of thick chains. I also keep a set of cables in my Outback.
So I guess my experience is that cables are a big step up in traction from tires, and if you can't use chains, get cables.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Are you talking cable cross links or just cable side rails?

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've not been pleased with cable chains. My next sets will be v-bars.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 63 invisible), 2,075 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,073
Posts18,463,784
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.