Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I will soon make a summer scouting trip into the high country of northwest Wyoming, where I will hunt elk this fall. This area is heavy with griz. A friend of mine has seen up to 8 in a single day of backpack hunting there. I'll carry my custom 10mm Glock, stoked with Buffalo Bore's 220 grain hard cast loads. The 6" Lone Wolf barrel gives me near 41 mag type performance with these loads & I like the idea of having of 'em loaded up.

I also use this when hunting black bear and mtn lion with hounds. Although I've not actually shot either with it yet, I trust it to do the job if I do mine.

..."I will not tip toe through life, to meet death safely."
GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
10mm Glock is good option with Bear loads. There is a very good guide Jerry Jacques who works near Phil who uses a 45ACP after being ripped out of a tent while guiding. He uses wilson combat 45ACP.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I pack a G23 loaded with 200 gr hard cast at about 1000 mv. Its light and easy to carry.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by 458Win
For protection from bears you don't want, or need, any expanding bullet. All you need is one you can shoot well and rapidly as you will need to poke a hole through the brain or CNS. Your 357 setup is perfectly suitable for that purpose. I know for a fact that it works on our much larger brown bears. If you prefer some brand of 9mm, Buffalo Bore makes a heavy, hard cast 147 gr bullet that gives 1100 fps from a 4" barrel and I personally wound not feel the least bit inadequate in grinning down any black bear with a magazine full of those.

You can get a lot of advice from people who have no experience with bears. Or you can listen to a guy with a bunch of experience with bears.

If it were me, I would listen to the voice of experience before theories.

I think the gentleman quoted above has one or two bears under his belt.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Surely you jest.......

I'd bet Phil may may have killed a few bears. He may even have seen a brown bear shot once.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
That's what he said.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
The 357 loaded properly is just fine. A 10mm loaded properly will do the same thing in a smaller, lighter package with nearly 3X more ammo. A 40 loaded hot will come close.

I hike in the same areas. Bear there are very common as are people. The bear have absolutely no fear of humans due to so much close contact. Usually not a problem, I've had several pass within 15-50 yards and they ignored me.

But incidents there are becoming more and more common. You'll get lots of false advice about just leaving them alone and not having food close by and you'll be just fine. I don't have any control over what the hikers did 5 minutes or even 5 days before me did. If they taught that bear that humans will give them food then it will expect a handout from me.

I have little doubt that a 180-200 gr hardcast bullet fired at 1100-1300 fps will do about as good as anything. You can do that with 40, 10mm or 357 mag.

I've carried a G20 loaded with DoubleTap 200 gr at 1300 fps for a while. I wanted something more compact and tried a G23 for a while, but just didn't feel as comfortable with it. I bought a G29 about a year ago and it seems to be about the most power available for the size.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
S&W 69 with 240gr XTP. Hornady and Fiocchi load them. Fiocchi are cheaper.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As I said, I have been doing a lot of testing and when completed and written up I'll check again to see if Lee Hoots is interested and if not will publish it elsewhere.
But the simple answer to the question of whether or not a 9mm offers adequate protection against black bears, the answer is yes. Would it work on a 1000# brown bear ? It certainly will penetrate deep enough to reach the brain from any direction.

[Linked Image]

And it should come as no surprise to anyone on this forum that bullet construction, sectional density and velocity are all major factors in penetration.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
458 , on a related note, how do you feel about using hard cast lead in a factory Glock? I hear a lot of noise about this, but have never tried it.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe ignorance is bliss but so far they work in mine.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by lvmiker
If you can draw and fire your handgun into a 6" target at 7 yards 6 times in < 3 seconds you are on the right track. When you can do this on demand w/ the gun you carry all the time you have proved your potential matches your reality.

mike r

I won't say its impossible, but in a realistic situation, to become aware of the threat, draw the weapon and fire 6 rounds into a small target at 7 yards or there abouts all in under 3 seconds, I think one would have to be beyond well practiced..

I don't recall my old IDPA times draw and fire, but thinking even shooting 1-2 times a month I was no where near that fast...

But if you could, you should be well protected.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Having lived with and among big bears for nearly 40 years I would say that normal situations with them is not really comparable to those with inner city humans. The ability to draw your weapon quickly is not usually an issue as there is no reason to not have a weapon already in your hand if you perceive a threat. And a bear poses no threat if it is still at 7 yards. Or even 3 yards !
Notice that my pistol is still in the full flap holster as I attempt to scare these two sub adults away from the airplane. And there are at least 3 other adult bears just outside of the photo.

[Linked Image]

If you can hit something the size of a 12 oz can or grapefruit multiple times in rapid succession, at 10 feet or less you should be relatively safe.
I find tossing items into the air and shooting them is a good practice for instinctively hitting smallish, moving targets .

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
They'd have to be pretty close for me to feel the need to shoot, as long as I already had a round in the gun and the gun ready to work.

My guide friend has had to fire a few into the dirt in front of them a couple of times but has never had an actual DLP issue.

IMHO awareness is the most important thing.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
you are absolutely correct.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 458Win; 06/18/16. Reason: photo added

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BCSteve
That's what he said.

My apologies to Mackey - I thought his post read had 1-2 beers under his belt. I'm sorry about that.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bwinters
Originally Posted by BCSteve
That's what he said.

My apologies to Mackey - I thought his post read had 1-2 beers under his belt. I'm sorry about that.

No I hadn't, but your post made me laugh so hard I may go out to the cool meat shed and get one grin

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Reading posts on a phone probably isn't a good idea. Not the first time I misread a word or two in a post. Beers to bears makes a slight difference in the meaning. <G>

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Exhibit 1.

Saw this sow with 2 cubs yesterday. Pics not best quality but was more interested in getting some distance plus they are zoomed a bit. We were 50 feet from them. BTW: smallest cubs I've ever seen. They couldn't have weighed more than 10 lbs. Momma isn't too big herself maybe 100-125 lbs. Most encounters go this way.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by bwinters; 06/18/16.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bwinters
Reading posts on a phone probably isn't a good idea. Not the first time I misread a word or two in a post. Beers to bears makes a slight difference in the meaning. <G>

On some of these threads I am pretty sure the posters had a LOT more recent experience with beers than bears. wink

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

707 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 160user, 19rabbit52, 16Racing, 68 invisible), 3,137 guests, and 1,360 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,581
Posts18,454,147
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.