Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by RickF
This might take the record for resuscitating an old thread.

Great ! I wouldn't know how to go about resurrecting one this old. I'm very glad r s did.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
In skillful writing, Warren Page was right there with Ruark and O'Connor at the head of the class. I drank everything he wrote as if I'd die of thirst otherwise.

Came closest to meeting him about fifty years ago when I pulled into Charlie O'Neil's place after Page had left. Charlie was still fuming -- Page had offered to make Charlie and OKH rifles "rich and famous" if Charlie'd make him an OKH rifle and send him on an African safari with it. Charlie ran him off so fast his shoes smoked. Not long thereafter and for the rest of his life, Page spoke highly of his Mashburn rifle. Did Page take a more reasonable approach with Art Mashburn, or did Mashburn go for the same deal that Charlie rejected? Your conclusion is as good as mine -- I don't know -- or care much.

Whatever he may have been like as a person, he was without any doubt one of the greatest of American outdoor writers in a day when we had a bunch of that breed. That's the way to remember him now. One day, he made Charlie O'Neil mad enough to chew pig iron and spit nails, but over an impressive number of years, he gave an awful number of the rest of us many thousands of hours of enjoyable and edifying reading. I don't know of any instance when he falsified something for the sake of a good story -- a sin that other excellent prose stylists of his time and since were (and are) repeatedly guilty of.

THANK you for finding this post of Dr. Howell's

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have the hardbound book, "The Accurate Rifle" by W P and I don't remember when I got it. I was a member of the Outdoor Life book club for some yrs.

The price on the paper cover is $13.95 but I got it for less than that. It's been too long since I read it so.....

Thanks Again

Jerry

ps- I was able to use a good back cloth and get decent pics.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I didn't remember the hardback being blue. On the left end it says Page...on the right end is the Winchester press logo.

Last edited by jwall; 06/12/16.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thx for the reading list

Want To Buy;
Form die for a 7mm Mashburn Super.
.284 Hornady AMax 162gr.
.224 Hornady AMax 75gr.
22-250 bushing die
Bushing die that will work with the 7mm Mashburn Super
A couple Glock 42 380ACP mags
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My dad didn't particularly "know" Page, but he did fly him to elk hunting camp. I've mentioned this before, but back in the fall of 1954 or 55' my Dad, then a charter/bush pilot here in Montana, picked up Warren Page in Billings and flew him to elk camp in Wyoming. Dad mentioned what an enjoyable guy he was, and also how astonished he was by the amount of firearms he had to load in the plane! It was just the two of them and they had an enjoyable time talking guns and hunting. I assume he was taking him to Bowman's camp outside Cody, but Dad doesn't remember.

Here's Dad back in 1955 over the Bighorn River at the controls of a Staggerwing Beech:

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I never get over how elegant those aircraft were. Thanks for posting!

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Interesting info. and a cool photo!

Molon Labe
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The Franz M I knew was an engraver and did not build a single rifle, of which I am aware. He was working in the US around the time and after Page died.
He was very unreliable and took large deposits of up front money. Last I heard a big time eastern criminal was threatening to break his hands for non-delivery of an engraving job.
Haven't heard of him in at least 20 years.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (10Glocks, 160user, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 02bfishn, 62 invisible), 2,428 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,228
Posts18,466,602
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.