Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I was thinking of purchasing a Bell & Carlson ADL mountain rifle stock. Info says it needs to be fitted by a gunsmith. What is the fitting that needs to be done and could someone do it themselves? I believe the BDL does't share the same fitting issues. I just don't have any extra BDL bottom metal.

I have a McMillan Compact on order, but was thnking of purchasing the Bell &Carlson to use till the McMillan arrives. I also don't want to lose alot in the resale of the stock. Would anyone have a used one for sale at a fair price?

Thanks,
Ansley

Rick Grimes for Governor
"This isn't a democracy anymore"
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Needs fitting by a gunsmith" is B&Cs scapegoat statement to those that expect a 100% drop-in fit. Keep in mind that all actions within a particular model line (aka Rem 700) DO have some minimal variances. In order to accommodate a 100% drop-in fit, the stock manufacturer needs to allow for those variances. In doing so they end up with a stock that has a looser fit on one gun and tight fit on another. It has been my experience that the fitting required (if any) involves sanding down a few high spots, maybe a touch with a Dremel here and there, not much more.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for your reply. Exactly what I was hoping. I should be able to handle the install then.

Rick Grimes for Governor
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
If you are looking at the #2950 remember this is for the mountain rifle profile barrel. Smaller than the regular sporter barrel. I bought one of the last 2950 BDL stocks before they were discontinued and my 280 Rem Mountain rifle dropped right in with no modifications. Its a nice stock for the price and it's light.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
It is a #2 barrel contour. I believe it is .575 on the muzzle end. I think a Rem MR is .550. Was hoping it would fit without too much work.

Would a regular sporter barrel channel work better? I think a standard contour is about .660.

Thoughts?

Rick Grimes for Governor
IC B2

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I just checked mine with the mountain rifle profile. I can put a dollar bill between the barrel and the stock and slide it up to the pressure bumps. Its tight so you will probably need to remove a little material for your #2 barrel.
This stock is almost identical in size and shape as my McMillan edge mountain rifle stock.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FoxTrotter
This stock is almost identical in size and shape as my McMillan edge mountain rifle stock.

That's vastly different than the three 2950s I've had. They were all noticeably larger in every dimension than my EDGE MR. Most notably in the grip and fore-end.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
The 2950 is like the original Remington TI stock and is quite thin at the grip and forearm. The Alaskan Ti has the block and is quite thick in the grip area. I have both and have replaced the B&C Alaskan with a McMillan edge mountain rifle stock.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SWGAShooter
It is a #2 barrel contour. I believe it is .575 on the muzzle end. I think a Rem MR is .550. Was hoping it would fit without too much work.

Would a regular sporter barrel channel work better? I think a standard contour is about .660.

Thoughts?

In general, it's not the muzzle diameter or the diameter of the barrel where the forend ends that poses fitting issues. It's the initial taper near the breech. A #2, and others for that matter, have a straight shank. The length of that shank varies on what you or your 'smith left when the barrel was chambered. Remington barrels - sporter, magnum, mountain rifle, etc begin to taper almost immediately near the breech. The crux lies in getting the shank to fit. Sanding out the rest of the barrel channel to match the rest of the taper is a child's play.

Do some searching of the various barrel maker's numbered profiles, and compare them to the Remington factory contours. You'll get my drift.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I realize what the 2950 is. We'll have to disagree that it's nearly as dainty as the McMillan MR pattern.

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by FoxTrotter
The 2950 is like the original Remington TI stock and is quite thin at the grip and forearm. The Alaskan Ti has the block and is quite thick in the grip area. I have both and have replaced the B&C Alaskan with a McMillan edge mountain rifle stock.

Just peeked my curiosity. First time I've seen the Ti stock being described as "quite thin". IMO, the Carbelite composite stocks have to be fat to have any strength and they're all fairly portly. While I've had multiple examples of the original Ti, I've not had a McMillan Mtn rifle stock, from the pictures I've seen I'd guess nearly 1/4" thinner than a Ti, at least a distinct difference. My Tis have had wide rails along the receiver and fairly rounded out from there... And purely fat in the grip. I'd sure like to see some picture of the McMillan Remington Mountain Rifle. IIRC they arelook about perfection, slim and trim.

To the OP. Are you dead set against just using a Poly take off stock in the meanwhile? They're not all TOO flexy.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I haven't thought about using one of the factory stocks. Usually can find them pretty cheap--a lot cheaper than 280.00. Even with the B&C I would have to modify the shank area. Would probably hurt resell more than I was thinking. I will keep a lookout in the classifieds.

Rick Grimes for Governor

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

407 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1lesfox, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 31 invisible), 1,784 guests, and 950 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,179
Posts18,465,575
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.