Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
tcp Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I appreciate the simplicity and durability of fixed power scope. I have recently had a variable power scope fail and am considering a fixed power- however it is clear to me that I am unable to shoot groups for load development as well at 6 power that I can consistently at 10x or 12x. Not for nothing do serious bench rest shooters have high power scopes.

For those that use low power scopes regularly can you truly achieve sub MOA groups consistently out of rifles that are capable of them? By how much, if any, do you feel 6x handicaps your ability to shoot groups vs. 10x?

I recognize that ability to shoot groups has little or nothing to do with effectiveness as a hunting optic.

Thanks

If you can't be a good example, may you at least serve as a dreadful warning
BP-B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I throw a higher power optic on to work up loads. Once I'm happy, I put the fixed power on, sight it in, and then call it good.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
With lower power scopes I modify the target (with a sharpie) as needed to work...

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
A 6X can be tough at times.... smile

I almost never put a high power scope on to work up loads. Most of my work with hunting rifles are done between 4-8X.

[Linked Image]

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I work up loads with my hunting scopes.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
IC B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Yup.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Tell you how I like to "group" a hunting rifle. Take a full sized deer/elk/moose target...no dots or prominent markings over vital areas. You know...the way they look when you hunt them.

Hang them at 300-600 yards,and shoot them from field positions. Then see how well you "group" on a monolithic back ground at distance with your hunting scope. Your group SHOULD center the vitals regardless. Those are the groups I care about.

Sorry to derail the thread....had to get that out. blush smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
6X AND heavy duplex smile

[Linked Image]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
jorge 6X works. wink

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
6x

[Linked Image]

6x

[Linked Image]

6x

[Linked Image]

6x

[Linked Image]

It works fine for me. It's not benchrest rifle, that's for sure. But this particular rifle shoots well enough for the hunting fields. That was an elk from 2 years ago. Last year was at 200 yards offhand, I was glad for the 6x there too.

IC B3

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Once I have the load and rifle sighted to where I want it,I go rabbit hunting. Short,long,in-between,sitting,trotting/jogging (don't like running shots unless I screwed up and already hit but not killed the rabbit) it's the best practice I know of.

Also works off a wee little bit from the middle. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

200 yards....

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Then see how well you "group" on a monolithic back ground at distance with your hunting scope. Sorry to derail the thread....had to get that out. blush smile

Bob, you mean monolithic as in stone background? grin
Or monochromatic and in same color??
You know the intricacies of english (being my sencond language) escape me.

In any case I develop my loads with my hunting scope. Not great accuracy loads, but have killed all animals I have shot at. So they group well on "furred backgrounds"

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sponx you are probably right. Good point. I did not have the right word.

You know what I mean.... smile

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
6x with heavy duplex, average .4" with a best of .189" @ 100 yards. Switching scopes to the wide, and finer duplex.

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Once I have the load and rifle sighted to where I want it,I go rabbit hunting. Short,long,in-between,sitting,trotting/jogging (don't like running shots unless I screwed up and already hit but not killed the rabbit) it's the best practice I know of.

Also works off a wee little bit from the middle. wink

Well, I did this as a teen, and until mentioned had completely forgotten about it. I think that I may need to get back it to this practice. I have a few new rifles that are in need of scopes being mounted and loads worked up. Practicing on Jacks would be great practice for coyotes.

Rifle#1 A scabbed together Frankenstein. A Savage Model 10 action off of a lesser used .22-250 with a $30 overstock barrel from ER Shaw chambered in 6x47L.

Rifle#2 Not put together yet. A Defiant action with a #4 contour Shilen in a McSwilry also in 6x47L.

Rifle#3 Another Savage action, with an ER Shaw Varmint contour chambered in 6.5x284 Norma and a Richards "Wolverine" laminated thumbhole stock

Rifle#4 A raffle prize. Ruger American Compact in .223 18" barrel with a 1:8 twist.

I have some scopes sitting around here. A couple of Weave K4's given to me by Ken Howell. A SFWA SS 6x42 mq, a Vortex Crossfire II 6x24x50, and a Vortex Crossfire II 4x16x50.

The vortex scopes are probably going on the 6.5x47L deviant rifle, and the 6.5x284, unless I cough up some seious money for a higher end scope.

I'm really leaning towards turning the Frankenstein Savage 6x47L into my coyote gun if I can get a decent load dialed in for it and mounting the SWFA 6x42. And for the reasons stated above. Don't want to have to worry about dialing a scope in. Just want to be able to point, aim, and fire.

OK, so, not asking for opinions on the brands of the scopes that I have on hand. But, which scope would you mount on which rifle?

And, I'm not really looking at using the K4's.

As for the RAR? Anyone out there with a RAR compact .223? What scope has worked for you ? I'm kinda of thinking another SWFA 6x42 or the Vortex 4x16x50

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
3-shots up the pipe(no wind hold off),to let 162 A-Max simply do,what they do...at the the 705yd line. 6x42 Reupold,which of course has been replaced with a 6x MQ Fixed Fhuqker. Rifle shoots even better now,due the ability to hold an MQ reticle harder. Hint.

[Linked Image]

VERY Technical Video Of Same

S/S RAR Compact 223 and 6x Fixed Fhuqker.

[Linked Image]

Blued RAR Ranch 223 and 6x MQ.

[Linked Image]

223 Ranch and RAR Hummer...6x Fixed Fhuqkers.

[Linked Image]

Nother RAR Hummer and 6x Fixed fhuqker.

[Linked Image]

RAR S/S Compact 223(Wicked Boona') wearing Reupold 3.5-10x M1 ele. It transitioned to a Reupold MK AR 3-9x TMR SFP Illuminated(didn't track for schit) and finally ended up with a 6x MQ Fixed Fhuqker for some reason. Baby Montucky 6BR next to it,wears a 6x MQ Fixed Fhuqker.

[Linked Image]

Have a hunch there's prolly more kicking around.

Yes...I'm sandbagging.

Laughing!...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If the target appears too small on 6x... Enlarge the target so that you can see an aiming point that appears relative to your crosshair... too easy...

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
6x42 LRD
Montucky 7WSM and 162AM

[Linked Image]

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
[Linked Image]

This is definitely not the norm for me with a 6x. But I hate shooting paper anyways. I get a good hunting load and then it's straight to the steel.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
728 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,959 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,763
Posts18,401,397
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.