Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Sub MOA groups are easy with quality glass at 6x. Sub 1/2 moa groups are always harder and I prefer 9-14x to squeeze the last little bit of eyeball error I can out of the job. I have shot a lot of 1/2 minute groups with 6x glass, but it can be made easier with a little more magnification.

GB1

m77 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think this will differ from individual to individual. I do not think 6x scopes works for everybody. I know for a fact that there are plenty guys that shoots really well that simply do not like shooting groups with 6x scopes. If it was me I would try a 6x shooting groups before making up my mind. Yes there are plenty of guys shooting nice groups with their 6x scopes but there is a very good reason why we get scopes with big magnification.

Pieter

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Hunter bench-rest competition limits the scope to 6x max. They are regularly shooting 1/4 MOA or better groups at 100/200 yards. If the rifle is capable, a 6x scope is not a liability as long as the target is sized correctly to allow consistent/proper reticle alignment.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The unaided human eye can resolve objects of about 1 inch size at 100 yards, which would make a one power scope suitable for consistently shooting one MOA or better.

A six power scope should provide resolution of objects of about one sixth of an inch at 100 yards, giving a potential consistent group size of 1/6 MOA, or .17 inches or better at 100 yards. IF the shooter, rifle and ammunition are up to the job.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 06/15/16.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I used to be able to shoot a fair amount of groups at 100 that were on the order of 5/8 to 3/4 inch with irons...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by tcp
I appreciate the simplicity and durability of fixed power scope. I have recently had a variable power scope fail and am considering a fixed power- however it is clear to me that I am unable to shoot groups for load development as well at 6 power that I can consistently at 10x or 12x. Not for nothing do serious bench rest shooters have high power scopes.

For those that use low power scopes regularly can you truly achieve sub MOA groups consistently out of rifles that are capable of them? By how much, if any, do you feel 6x handicaps your ability to shoot groups vs. 10x?

I recognize that ability to shoot groups has little or nothing to do with effectiveness as a hunting optic.

Thanks

Quite easily. As others have mentioned the ability to shoot tight groups is aided greatly by choosing a target shape and size to match the reticle/magnification/distance combination. By doing so I've been able to shoot a number of .5-.6 moa five shot groups with a scope whose actual magnification tops out at 3.9x. Similarly I've shot a few .5-.6 moa ten shot groups using 6x.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by GregW
I work up loads with my hunting scopes.

Yep and I have no issues getting tiny little bug holes w/ my 6Xs; at least in rifles capable of such performance.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
[Linked Image]

6x works as good as the rifle and USUALLY better than the nut behind the trigger...

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by m77
I think this will differ from individual to individual. I do not think 6x scopes works for everybody. I know for a fact that there are plenty guys that shoots really well that simply do not like shooting groups with 6x scopes. If it was me I would try a 6x shooting groups before making up my mind. Yes there are plenty of guys shooting nice groups with their 6x scopes but there is a very good reason why we get scopes with big magnification.

Pieter

A firearm's accuracy capability is the same with or without sights with human error removed. The shooter is part of the accuracy equation and part of that is how well the shooter can use the sight(s). Matching the target to your scope or sights for zeroing and accuracy testing greatly helps.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I've been pleasantly surprised with a 4x on my 270 fwt. Just switched back to the original scope that's been on the rifle for years (according to the original owner). I adjusted the eye focus for my vision and damn if It works like nobodies business. I've shot some pretty good groups with the old girl and her old piece of glass (steel tube weaver K4). With this in mind, I believe the same can be said about a good 6x scope.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I like 12X for testing loads at 100yds.
Fave hunting scope is a 2-7X (squirrels, yotes or deer).
Have some higher mag stuff for dedicated varmints.
But really really like a 2X in the timber for bambi, esp if moving.

Wouldn't mind a fixed 6X for a .22mag.
But that HBR Leupold (AO) aint cheap.
Thought about a fixed 8 w AO for Contender .22 lr rifle.

Neat old scope.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I have shot sub MOA groups with several rigs having 4X.
Back when younger I did it with iron sighted rigs on bags.

But I'm older now, eyes went to crap.

Shooting last week at 50 yards, I was wanting more than 7X on my .22lr.
My #1 RSI .243 wears a 4X. Did OK, but it's just for deer. Heading out in a few to check it at 100yds.

Ideally with the crappy quarter rib/ring game......it should wear an older longer tube VX2 2-7X. But I got the 4X at a decent price.

As a kid, I repeatedly shot groups around a half inch with a 3-9X cranked up (at 100 yds). My old #1B (jr high) shot as well as my prev 660...9X.

Nowadays I couldn't imagine a dedicated chuck rig limited to 9X. Had a AO compact on another 600.......and it did .75" but there again, at the range.....I was wanting a little more. Kid didn't want to deer hunt, so I sold that rifle. Like a dumbarse.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
tcp:

Until I acquired a Sharps with excellent iron sights, I did not think one could generate 1 moa accuracy with irons. My fix has been targets that allow a very precise fit with ones sighting system, and that's with bifocals and 70 yr old eyes. I probably have 15 different target sizes and patterns on my PC and print specifically for whatever is going to the range with me.

Same with scopes. I have a 1/4" bull target for a 22-250 carrying a 24X scope and a 3" bull for my Marlin Guide with a 2.5X Scout scope in 45-70. The Marlin is easily capable of 3-shot 0.75 inch clover leafs at 100 yds. Were I to use the target for the 22-250 with my Marlin, I can't even find the bull's eye.

Some competition small bore folk shoot at bull's eyes they can't see. They score though because the target meshes with their sights.

Take an array or sizes/patterns of targets to the range and one will likely find one or get some ideas about what dimensions or shpaes are most appropriate. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the results. Like all of life, one size does not fit all.

Last edited by 1minute; 06/18/16.

1Minute
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Lower mag can add aiming error.
Such errors may help or hurt a grouping.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Irons can work very well.
But pay attention to your lighting.

Several guys learned the hard way at our local MZ club.
Zero in the morning, get screwed in the afternoon.

IHMSA has taught a few folks similarly.
Covered lines, different range orientations.......when setting up sighting card, make note of that stuff!

Had my dad crash n burn because his state start time was way different than his normal shoot times. Arghhhhhh if he would have just listened.

He runs optics now LOL

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Like most folks when doing original sight-in and checking groups my optic is cranked all the way up. Hunting and field position practice is mostly at 6x since that is my most common magnification in open country. Surprisingly the groups haven't varied much in size between 9 or higher and 6 power at 100 & 225 when I compare.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by specneeds
....Surprisingly the groups haven't varied much in size between 9 or higher and 6 power at 100 & 225 when I compare.

Yup. Funny thing about that.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
My regular hunting rifle, Sako 30-06, In hunter class at a local gun club shoot printed a 3 shot 7.625" group at 1040 yards. Scope is a Leupold 6x42 with M1 turret dialed to 31 moa. 5 shot groups are larger, ~1.3 moa. This class is limited to 9X scope power and many groups were in the 3's, one competitor got a 1.5" 3 shot group in practice.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Maybe one of my best groups ever was with a 4x, and many at the 1/2" realm with a 6x. They'd all probably have been way easier wit 10-12x and/or AO. You CAN do lots of things. Doesn't mean it's the best way to do it.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I may be a little archaic, but I still use several three and four power scopes. My favorite bolt gun is a 54 year old Browning Safari .308 built on the small ring FN action. It wears a 4X Zeiss that I have had for at least twenty plus years. I have shot numerous three shot groups (hunting rifle) 5/8" or smaller. I have killed deer way too far away with this rig.

I usually draw an open square aiming point on a piece of poster board. Make the opening large enough to clearly center the reticle. At least for me, it is easier to shoot precicely this way over a solid aiming point. I admit that all of us are different and we have our predjuces, but what I need is an aiming point. I use a binocular for looking.

Best wishes,

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

100 members (5sdad, 673, 406_SBC, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 450yukon, 13 invisible), 2,203 guests, and 786 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,381
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.