Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
For a three-pound chunk of tough meat you need to sear it thoroughly to start and get up to 15 pounds of pressure and cook for 30 minutes. Let cool until the rattle can be removed and add the veggies. Start the heat back up and when it gets to pressure turn off the heat and move to a cold burner.

When it gets cool enough to remove rattle, and then lid, the meat will be very tender, guaranteed, and the veggies will be overdone.

That is the PC recipie I was raised on. My mother cooked most everything in a pressure cooker. My wife's family only used them for canning, but they always lived at elevations of about 200 ft, so they didn't need them so much. It wasn't until I moved her to Colorado that I even got her to try one.

You can make some great tamales in one too, with a rack and just a little bit of water.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
GB2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
We discovered using the pressure cooker a couple years back. We now use one all the time. First, I have to tell you that some of the worst meals my dear Mom ever turned out were done in a pressure cooker. She eventually, saints be praised, retired it to the basement. Given that experience I was decidedly skeptical until a friend mentioned how well they worked.

My wife and I bought a [bleep] 6qt stove-top model and started playing with it. What speeded us up the learning curve was a copy of the not immodestly titled Americas Test Kitchen book Pressure Cooker Perfection. I highly recommend it.

My wife makes a great mushroom risotto but it takes nearly an hour of ladling hot broth into the mixture and constant stirring. Waaaay too long for a weeknight dinner. The pressure cooker turns it out in about 6 minutes flat.A whole whole chicken, browned first in the pressure cooker is done in about 35 minutes and it produces some of the best , most moist chicken we have had. Asian style beef ribs which would take 4 hours in the oven are done in 30 minutes or so.

We do a lot of entertaining, especially at our summer home in Maine and found we needed a bigger model, so we bought another [bleep]... this time the 8 qt. The pressure cooker has become absolutely indispensable. Get the ATK book. I know a lot of people are buying the electric models, but they really are not necessary and to me, just complicate things. The book has recipes adapted to the electric models also.

You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
LOL...not sure why I am not allowed to mention the pc brand here....F-A-G-O-R has been changed to "bleep"......Maybe the dashes will help.

You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
My mother cooked squirrels in a pressure cooker when I was young. she browned them with the top off and added the onions and garlic and whatever else, added liquid; stock , wine, sherry, put the top on it and in 15 minutes they were falling off the bones tender. I think the pressure cooker pushes the flavor of the seasonings into the meat better than simmering for 2 hours.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Browning and spices are key, otherwise it is just fancy boiling.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Browning and spices are key, otherwise it is just fancy boiling.

+1 My sainted mother and old school Hungarian cook did just about all of her meats as well as soups and stews in her PC.

Spices are the key to that "through and through" flavor that only a PC or all day in a big ol' pot can deliver.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
We own 2 pressure cookers.

One is a massive beast used for heavy duty or high volume canning, cooking huge batches of tamales, etc.

The other is a counter-top electric job. I wasn't sold when my wife came home with it, but it's actually pretty utilitarian, especially since it's now just the two of us.

This week we cooked up a 3 pound roast. Just added a jar of pepperoncinis including the juice, and cooked for 90 min. Came out perfect. Cilantro lime rice? Done in a few minutes. Lentils or beans? Cooks quick! Stroganoff in 20 minutes? Check!

Tonight I am grilling some shrimp and the missus is making a mushroom risotto in the cooker.

The time and effort is a quarter of stove top prep.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ordered Instant Pot IP-DUO60 7-in-1 Multi-Functional Pressure Cooker, 6Qt/1000W from amazon. I looked at reviews and this one looked well respected. It should be here by Friday.
My Sunday mornings are reserved for walking the dogs in the forest. I always like to have a soup/stew/chili ready when we get back from the hike. This should come in handy.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FLYWNYQ/ref=pe_385040_30332210_TE_dp_2

Last edited by Terryk; 09/27/16.
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
I just finished a 3 pond or so chunk of moose meat in the PC and then turned it into fajitas. Great stuff.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
573 members (219 Wasp, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 54 invisible), 2,373 guests, and 1,104 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,217
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.