Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
I have quite a bit of a tough old cow moose in my freezer. I have tried all means of cooking, except in a pressure cooker. Anyone have any recipes/methods? If not, I sure have. Lot of ground meat.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How can the ground meat be tough ? I have cooked their ribs in them with some vinegar, it was OK and did break them down....tough gets ground imo

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Sometimes, you butcher and make cuts that are not burger, before you know, it's tough. This cow was aged two and a half weeks were butchering. I have a lot of it ground already. I just wanted some hints if a pressure cooker would help roast and steaks.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My sainted mother and old school Hungarian cook would reduce beef bones into mush with her pressure cooker. Suspect if you play with your times as well as pressure you will get the result you are seeking.

Try a small amount at first and good luck.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can tough elk and deer all the time. Comes out fork tender but I am of course putting them up in quart jars. Add a little beef bouillion and some canning salt and process per directions. Goes great in stew or Mex dishes ,or stroganoff.

If you are just pressure cooking a roast, as was noted above, I think you will also be satisfied.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The whole key is to remove all of the fat, other than that a simple teaspoon of salt is all you need, we cut our deer into cubes about an inch or less square, and just drop them into the jar, be careful not to pack it in.

Its a fantastic way to keep your meat and makes for some fine eating.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'd can it.

But a pressure cooker will make it tender.

So will a crock pot if you give it enough time.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Chunks of meat, onions carrots, celery, bay leaf. Sear meat, remove, deglaze, put metal bottom thing in cooker. Put all ingredients in, add bouillon and water, wine or beef broth to get liquid. Thicken broth when done.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Appreciate that Dillon buck

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What Dillonbuck said. Leeks, carrots, red wine, and mushrooms are the base of one of my favorite oxtail recipes. Search it out out here. If you can't find it, shoot me a pm, I'll get it for you.

Sean
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have never experience tough meat that didn't come out of the pressure cooker tender.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Scotty
I have never experience tough meat that didn't come out of the pressure cooker tender.

This

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by elwood

This

I'm sure it will.Looking for info as to how much time,good recipes,etc. Rather than just throwing some meat in and experimenting.
AS an example, I cook pinto beans in one and I know that two cups of unsoaked beans that are fresh , I cook 11 minutes,older beans take 14 minutes.

So how long for say 2 pounds of roast or stacked steaks

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I usually cook a 3lb. chuck roast for 45 minutes under pressure using 3 cups of beef broth and a packet of brown gravy sprinkled on the meat. After 45 minutes I release the pressure and add the veggies...carrots, potatoes, celery, and mushrooms. Once pressure comes back up,,cook for another 20 minutes. Enjoy the most tender, juciest pot roast you've had.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
You probably are aware of this, but I'll mention it anyway - whatever seasonings that you use under pressure will be more evident in the meat than normally.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Batchief909
I usually cook a 3lb. chuck roast for 45 minutes under pressure using 3 cups of beef broth and a packet of brown gravy sprinkled on the meat. After 45 minutes I release the pressure and add the veggies...carrots, potatoes, celery, and mushrooms. Once pressure comes back up,,cook for another 20 minutes. Enjoy the most tender, juciest pot roast you've had.

Thanks. That is info I was looking for.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I always brown the meat before I cook it. I used to cook the meat only for an hour, but I started cooking it like Batchief says with the veggies added at the end.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I always brown the meat before I cook it. I used to cook the meat only for an hour, but I started cooking it like Batchief says with the veggies added at the end.

I've done it both ways...seared and not seared. Never really noticed much difference as I always add broth. Heck...try it! It sure won't hurt anything.. cool

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My little girl just gave me a new stove top pressure cooker.

She decided she wanted an electric one that she could plug in like a crock pot.

Please keep the recipes coming, and hints on how to run this thing, IE; pressures??? temps. ???

Didn't get any instructions with it.

Thanks! Virgil B.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I don't know about new ones, but the pressure cookers I've seen in use all operated at a pressure level regulated by a weight sitting on top of a steam port. So the pressure was a fixed quantity. The temperature would then be fixed by the boiling point of water at the operating pressure.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (02bfishn, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 16penny, 57 invisible), 2,398 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,222
Posts18,466,471
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.