Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
I have quite a bit of a tough old cow moose in my freezer. I have tried all means of cooking, except in a pressure cooker. Anyone have any recipes/methods? If not, I sure have. Lot of ground meat.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How can the ground meat be tough ? I have cooked their ribs in them with some vinegar, it was OK and did break them down....tough gets ground imo

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Sometimes, you butcher and make cuts that are not burger, before you know, it's tough. This cow was aged two and a half weeks were butchering. I have a lot of it ground already. I just wanted some hints if a pressure cooker would help roast and steaks.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My sainted mother and old school Hungarian cook would reduce beef bones into mush with her pressure cooker. Suspect if you play with your times as well as pressure you will get the result you are seeking.

Try a small amount at first and good luck.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can tough elk and deer all the time. Comes out fork tender but I am of course putting them up in quart jars. Add a little beef bouillion and some canning salt and process per directions. Goes great in stew or Mex dishes ,or stroganoff.

If you are just pressure cooking a roast, as was noted above, I think you will also be satisfied.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The whole key is to remove all of the fat, other than that a simple teaspoon of salt is all you need, we cut our deer into cubes about an inch or less square, and just drop them into the jar, be careful not to pack it in.

Its a fantastic way to keep your meat and makes for some fine eating.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'd can it.

But a pressure cooker will make it tender.

So will a crock pot if you give it enough time.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Chunks of meat, onions carrots, celery, bay leaf. Sear meat, remove, deglaze, put metal bottom thing in cooker. Put all ingredients in, add bouillon and water, wine or beef broth to get liquid. Thicken broth when done.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Appreciate that Dillon buck

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
What Dillonbuck said. Leeks, carrots, red wine, and mushrooms are the base of one of my favorite oxtail recipes. Search it out out here. If you can't find it, shoot me a pm, I'll get it for you.

Sean
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have never experience tough meat that didn't come out of the pressure cooker tender.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Scotty
I have never experience tough meat that didn't come out of the pressure cooker tender.

This

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by elwood

This

I'm sure it will.Looking for info as to how much time,good recipes,etc. Rather than just throwing some meat in and experimenting.
AS an example, I cook pinto beans in one and I know that two cups of unsoaked beans that are fresh , I cook 11 minutes,older beans take 14 minutes.

So how long for say 2 pounds of roast or stacked steaks

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I usually cook a 3lb. chuck roast for 45 minutes under pressure using 3 cups of beef broth and a packet of brown gravy sprinkled on the meat. After 45 minutes I release the pressure and add the veggies...carrots, potatoes, celery, and mushrooms. Once pressure comes back up,,cook for another 20 minutes. Enjoy the most tender, juciest pot roast you've had.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
You probably are aware of this, but I'll mention it anyway - whatever seasonings that you use under pressure will be more evident in the meat than normally.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Batchief909
I usually cook a 3lb. chuck roast for 45 minutes under pressure using 3 cups of beef broth and a packet of brown gravy sprinkled on the meat. After 45 minutes I release the pressure and add the veggies...carrots, potatoes, celery, and mushrooms. Once pressure comes back up,,cook for another 20 minutes. Enjoy the most tender, juciest pot roast you've had.

Thanks. That is info I was looking for.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I always brown the meat before I cook it. I used to cook the meat only for an hour, but I started cooking it like Batchief says with the veggies added at the end.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I always brown the meat before I cook it. I used to cook the meat only for an hour, but I started cooking it like Batchief says with the veggies added at the end.

I've done it both ways...seared and not seared. Never really noticed much difference as I always add broth. Heck...try it! It sure won't hurt anything.. cool

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My little girl just gave me a new stove top pressure cooker.

She decided she wanted an electric one that she could plug in like a crock pot.

Please keep the recipes coming, and hints on how to run this thing, IE; pressures??? temps. ???

Didn't get any instructions with it.

Thanks! Virgil B.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I don't know about new ones, but the pressure cookers I've seen in use all operated at a pressure level regulated by a weight sitting on top of a steam port. So the pressure was a fixed quantity. The temperature would then be fixed by the boiling point of water at the operating pressure.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Yep, & the mathematic calculation to determine the blow off pressure would be ?

grin

Last edited by New_2_99s; 06/21/16. Reason: Added grinner !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Yep, & the mathematic calculation to determine the blow off pressure would be ?

grin

Some PCs come with weights that have several positions on them to place on the vent during operation.

5psi, 10psi and 15psi are common on such weights.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Over an hour!?!?!?!?!?! 20 minutes for veggies? Why not just blend and boil?

For a three-pound chunk of tough meat you need to sear it thoroughly to start and get up to 15 pounds of pressure and cook for 30 minutes. Let cool until the rattle can be removed and add the veggies. Start the heat back up and when it gets to pressure turn off the heat and move to a cold burner.

When it gets cool enough to remove rattle, and then lid, the meat will be very tender, guaranteed, and the veggies will be overdone.

Cannot even imagine what it would be like after an hour...

I cook hares in the PC because you never know how old/tough the bunnies are. The whole pot full will be falling off the bones done in 40 minutes...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oh, and never force-cool a PC! They can come apart though it is usually not violent. I have seen two that had been ruined under cold water

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Someone is going to put an eye out before this piece of meat gets cooked.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

For a three-pound chunk of tough meat you need to sear it thoroughly to start and get up to 15 pounds of pressure and cook for 30 minutes. Let cool until the rattle can be removed and add the veggies. Start the heat back up and when it gets to pressure turn off the heat and move to a cold burner.

When it gets cool enough to remove rattle, and then lid, the meat will be very tender, guaranteed, and the veggies will be overdone.

I cook hares in the PC because you never know how old/tough the bunnies are. The whole pot full will be falling off the bones done in 40 minutes...

I use an electric pressure cooker...Imagine it. Fuuk me for replying.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Been doing chicken in mine ...out side ...oil to 325 drop in 3-4 thighs size dependent.. 2 mins of browning/removing a lot of water.. Cap anda p/cook for 5 at 15 pounds ...KFC !

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just up graded to a Cuisinart electric PC. Haven't even tried the stove top one yet!

At least I have an instruction book with this one! (and some recipes!)

PLEASE keep the recipes, and "hints" for running this thing coming!

THANKS! This is going to be FUN! (and fattening!) Going to start with a roast today!

Virgil B.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For pressure cooker recipes, at least take the initiative to buy a PC cookbook.

Miss Vickie's big book of pressure cooker recipes--Vickie Smith

Pressure Perfect--Lorna Sass

Also most pressure cookers come with a cookbook.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I use an electric pressure cooker...Imagine it. Fuuk me for replying.

Sorry if you missed the basic idea that pressure cooking is supposed to actually SPEED the process...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pal;

Thanks!
I didn't know there were cook books just for pressure cooking.

Will stop by my local book store today!

Virgil B.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I cooked my first meal in my new pressure cooker last night.

All I can say is WOW!
My cross rib roast turned out GREAT!

It was "fall apart" tender.

Glad I finally took the plunge and got one of these!

Virgil B.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's amazing how the seasonings get all the way into the center of the meat when using a PC.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
It's amazing how the seasonings get all the way into the center of the meat when using a PC.

Comments like this (and above!) are making it harder and harder for me to resist the urge to buy a pressure cooker!

The 'Fire is full of enablers, willing to help everybody spend their money! grin (I'm guilty too!)

John

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Our aim is ta make damn sure that yer broke azz cain't afford nuttin' mo bettah than a cardboard coffin when ya croak. grin

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Finally got down to the next bag of moose round steak in the freezer. Put 4 nice size round steaks in the pressure cooker. 3 cups of beef broth, about a 1/4 cup dried onion, Greek seasoning, seasoned salt, and ground age. Cooked for 30 minutes as soon as the top started to rattle. Cooled under cool running water until top stopped rattleing ( carefully).

Meat came out perfect. Used the beef broth over the meat the first night and have been making pulled moose with barbecue sauce for two nights now. Tender and great eating.

Thanks for all who volunteered info. Thought I was going to have to grind all this meat

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How old was this cow moose?? Shot plenty of moose and never had this problem of being tough

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
pressure cook in a 1/2 cup of wine, 1/2 cup beef broth, garlic, carrots, celery, onions,

salt, paprika and pepper

30 to 35 min max

dont over cook

or can using same ingredients

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by 79S
How old was this cow moose?? Shot plenty of moose and never had this problem of being tough

When I checked her in the CPW guy said at least 7 and probably over 10
The waddle ( if that is what it is called) was almost a foot long

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by ribka
pressure cook in a 1/2 cup of wine, 1/2 cup beef broth, garlic, carrots, celery, onions,

salt, paprika and pepper

30 to 35 min max, dont over cook or can using same ingredients

I think my pressure cooker would need more liquid than that

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

That is the PC recipie I was raised on. My mother cooked most everything in a pressure cooker. My wife's family only used them for canning, but they always lived at elevations of about 200 ft, so they didn't need them so much. It wasn't until I moved her to Colorado that I even got her to try one.

You can make some great tamales in one too, with a rack and just a little bit of water.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
We discovered using the pressure cooker a couple years back. We now use one all the time. First, I have to tell you that some of the worst meals my dear Mom ever turned out were done in a pressure cooker. She eventually, saints be praised, retired it to the basement. Given that experience I was decidedly skeptical until a friend mentioned how well they worked.

My wife and I bought a [bleep] 6qt stove-top model and started playing with it. What speeded us up the learning curve was a copy of the not immodestly titled Americas Test Kitchen book Pressure Cooker Perfection. I highly recommend it.

My wife makes a great mushroom risotto but it takes nearly an hour of ladling hot broth into the mixture and constant stirring. Waaaay too long for a weeknight dinner. The pressure cooker turns it out in about 6 minutes flat.A whole whole chicken, browned first in the pressure cooker is done in about 35 minutes and it produces some of the best , most moist chicken we have had. Asian style beef ribs which would take 4 hours in the oven are done in 30 minutes or so.

We do a lot of entertaining, especially at our summer home in Maine and found we needed a bigger model, so we bought another [bleep]... this time the 8 qt. The pressure cooker has become absolutely indispensable. Get the ATK book. I know a lot of people are buying the electric models, but they really are not necessary and to me, just complicate things. The book has recipes adapted to the electric models also.

You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
LOL...not sure why I am not allowed to mention the pc brand here....F-A-G-O-R has been changed to "bleep"......Maybe the dashes will help.

You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
My mother cooked squirrels in a pressure cooker when I was young. she browned them with the top off and added the onions and garlic and whatever else, added liquid; stock , wine, sherry, put the top on it and in 15 minutes they were falling off the bones tender. I think the pressure cooker pushes the flavor of the seasonings into the meat better than simmering for 2 hours.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Browning and spices are key, otherwise it is just fancy boiling.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Browning and spices are key, otherwise it is just fancy boiling.

+1 My sainted mother and old school Hungarian cook did just about all of her meats as well as soups and stews in her PC.

Spices are the key to that "through and through" flavor that only a PC or all day in a big ol' pot can deliver.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
We own 2 pressure cookers.

One is a massive beast used for heavy duty or high volume canning, cooking huge batches of tamales, etc.

The other is a counter-top electric job. I wasn't sold when my wife came home with it, but it's actually pretty utilitarian, especially since it's now just the two of us.

This week we cooked up a 3 pound roast. Just added a jar of pepperoncinis including the juice, and cooked for 90 min. Came out perfect. Cilantro lime rice? Done in a few minutes. Lentils or beans? Cooks quick! Stroganoff in 20 minutes? Check!

Tonight I am grilling some shrimp and the missus is making a mushroom risotto in the cooker.

The time and effort is a quarter of stove top prep.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ordered Instant Pot IP-DUO60 7-in-1 Multi-Functional Pressure Cooker, 6Qt/1000W from amazon. I looked at reviews and this one looked well respected. It should be here by Friday.
My Sunday mornings are reserved for walking the dogs in the forest. I always like to have a soup/stew/chili ready when we get back from the hike. This should come in handy.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FLYWNYQ/ref=pe_385040_30332210_TE_dp_2

Last edited by Terryk; 09/27/16.
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
I just finished a 3 pond or so chunk of moose meat in the PC and then turned it into fajitas. Great stuff.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (1lessdog, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,892 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,341
Posts18,468,725
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.