Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yeah, that's better... grin

Ole Elmer would probably mess his pants if he came face to face with a blue bull...

DF

GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Still say we should round up a few 24HCF guys and make a hunt out of it. Gunner's big enough he can be our pack mule....

LOL, that dude left port moons ago JG, all that's left is a worn out old dog. grin

Bull Mule?............very funny Doc, bet we can conspire to get it all done though.

The trick is getting someone to ramrod this expedition. I nominate Roger (stxhunter). He knows the inshore islands really well, and is more than passing conversant with the King Ranch as well. If we're gonna do an inland exotic hunt (which may make a lot more sense if we've got a crew of more than 4) there are a lot of ranches we can book with. The big advantage of a ranch hunt is that there's usually young "guides" who can do the heavy lifting.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Porsche73
Does anyone think my 8mm mag is too light assuming proper bullet placement. Also I am a Texan. Porsche73

Probably on the light side for a Texican... shocked

More than enough for just an average hunter... grin

Proper bullet, as with any round.

DF
Way to light for this here New Mexican.

We use .460 Wby's for jackrabbits.

[Linked Image]

Well, after my last nilgai hunt I'm buyin' a .505 Gibbs...

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Still say we should round up a few 24HCF guys and make a hunt out of it. Gunner's big enough he can be our pack mule....

LOL, that dude left port moons ago JG, all that's left is a worn out old dog. grin

Bull Mule?............very funny Doc, bet we can conspire to get it all done though.

The trick is getting someone to ramrod this expedition. I nominate Roger (stxhunter). He knows the inshore islands really well, and is more than passing conversant with the King Ranch as well. If we're gonna do an inland exotic hunt (which may make a lot more sense if we've got a crew of more than 4) there are a lot of ranches we can book with. The big advantage of a ranch hunt is that there's usually young "guides" who can do the heavy lifting.

Good ideas!

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Originally Posted by Porsche73
Does anyone think my 8mm mag is too light assuming proper bullet placement. Also I am a Texan. Porsche73

Probably on the light side for a Texican... shocked

More than enough for just an average hunter... grin

Proper bullet, as with any round.

DF
Way to light for this here New Mexican.

We use .460 Wby's for jackrabbits.

[Linked Image]

laugh

Ordinance of that magnitude, gunner's your man... laugh

His .505 Gibbs, IIRC, is a rebored .416R. He actually shot out the Rigby barrel, killing rocks and 'dillers on his OK ranch...

How many do you know who can say they shot out a DG, heavy rifle... shocked

Yeah, Doc, you sure thinking like a Texican... grin

DF

IC B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
A .505 Gibbs! eek eek

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Ive gotta get you guys into stunt shooting. I already know a .223AI is all thats needed for Scimitar Oryx, so Im thinking a .243 oughta be top end for Nilgai.... whistle

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been planning a return bout with nilgai ever since I failed to bring home meat from a 1998 hunt on the King Ranch.

The trophy pinned to my wall is a live-oak leaf wrapped around some nilgai lung tissue. We picked it up off the ground about 150 yards from where I shot the bull.

If any plans for a multi-person hunt congeal, I'd like to be considered as a participant.

Thanks.
--Bob

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by ingwe

Ive gotta get you guys into stunt shooting. I already know a .223AI is all thats needed for Scimitar Oryx, so Im thinking a .243 oughta be top end for Nilgai.... whistle

grin

Yeah, Poobs, IIRC the .243 is your "big" gun...

DF

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
It is...and if they'd let me, Id use the 'heavy' 100 grain bullet in it! grin

Actually what Im interested in is a meat cow, and Ive killed critters bigger than those with a 100 grain .243...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
223 not even AI will work wiht proper bullet and shot placement... IMHO.

Its not what I'd choose to start with if after a good bull. If only after a cow I wouldn't have any issues using it at all.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Kinda what I thought Jeff...

But the Texans think Nilgai are bulletproof and usually require you to use .300 mags on up.

WTF?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
If your Texican guide insists, .300 Mag or more, you gonna be a real party pooper showing up with your .243, even with those heavy, premium 100 gr. bullets... blush

He may not know you're a stunt shooter... shocked

DF

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I have a .30-06 I can use.....( borrow it from Ingewife) if they want bigger than that I guess I wont be hunting with them.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I have a .30-06 I can use.....( borrow it from Ingewife) if they want bigger than that I guess I wont be hunting with them.

I guess you'd need to use gunner approved, genuine 200 gr. Partitions... smile

I think you could convince even those Texicans guides that a stunt shooter like yourself, armed with an '06, is one dangerous dude... cool

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I guess you'd need to use gunner approved, genuine 200 gr. Partitions... smile

I think you could convince even those Texicans guides that a stunt shooter like yourself, armed with an '06, is one dangerous dude... cool

DF

It won't take much convincing when he shows up in his leopard skin thong... Just sayin.. whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Schitt....all I really need is that thong and my Randall knife....

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
It is...and if they'd let me, Id use the 'heavy' 100 grain bullet in it! grin

Actually what Im interested in is a meat cow, and Ive killed critters bigger than those with a 100 grain .243...

I shot my "meat cow" with a 140 gr Accubond, MV of 3200 fps, so I doubt that a .243 100 gr bullet @ 3000 fps would fail to collect your meat.

But truth to tell, I haven't cared all that much for the flavor of nilgai, either the cow I shot or the bull a friend shot and shared with me. The meat is really bland compared to our common North American species of deer and antelope... kinda like veal, I'd describe it. Which is not to say it's bad, I just prefer something with bit more of a game flavor.

Just my humble.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Odd you mention that Doc...Ive had quite a bit of Nilgai ( that JB killed) and he has killed both cows and bulls, and he flatly stated the bull is the better eating of the two...

At any rate due to time, logistics and price , getting a nilgai isn't on my priority list.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The bull is a lot bigger than the cow, never ate a cow. The bull is good eating, IMO. You must take care of the meat as I posted earlier.

To me, Nilgai is better than WT, maybe not quite as good as elk, but not much is.

Gotta cook it right.

DF

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (1234, 17CalFan, 22kHornet, 280fan, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 43 invisible), 2,751 guests, and 1,102 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,290
Posts18,467,910
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.