Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I know many of the remarks here are tongue and cheek but to answer the question about why the large caliber recommendation/requirements by many landowners who hunt Nilgai, it's mostly do to poor shot placement. Hell yea a .243 will kill a Nilgai bull if the shots well placed but it's nowhere near the most effective tool for the job. Tracking wounded game in South Texas is a brutal task that should be avoided any way you can! OBTW if someone puts this hunt together I'd sure like to participate! I'll bring my .223 smile

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
There are a couple reasons for the .300 magnum minimum suggestion by nilgai guides.

1) Many still "hunt" nilgai by chasing them with vehicles. The only reason I can figure they do this is because if many Texicans can't hunt something from a stand next to a corn-feeder, then they're baffled. Shooting at running nilgai results in a lot of misplaced shots.

2) Many Texican guides are used to deer and pigs, where "premium" bullets don't make nearly as much difference, so don't have a clue about why a "premium" bullet might work better on a larger animal. Hence they're fixated on the cartridge rather than the bullet.

If you HUNT nilgai, rather than chase them with vehicles, and use decent bullets they die pretty quickly with good shot placement. The hide is very thick over the shoulders and neck of big bulls, which is why premium bullets help, rather than deer and pig bullets. But I would be quite happy to hunt nilgai with a .270 Winchester or 7x57 with premium bullets, and maybe something even smaller, though unless somebody's extremely recoil-sensitive I don't see the point.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Elkhunter49
I know many of the remarks here are tongue and cheek but to answer the question about why the large caliber recommendation/requirements by many landowners who hunt Nilgai, it's mostly do to poor shot placement. Hell yea a .243 will kill a Nilgai bull if the shots well placed but it's nowhere near the most effective tool for the job. Tracking wounded game in South Texas is a brutal task that should be avoided any way you can!

A poor hit with a .375 H&H is only marginally (if any) better than a poor hit with a .243. A poor hit with a .375 is much more likely if it is a rifle that is borrowed, or one you only pull out of the gun safe for a once or twice in a lifetime hunt.

Nilgai, especially the bulls, are tough critters. I have seen bulls walking around with 4-5 ft of intestine hanging down out of their guts. I have seen these same bulls months later, apparently completely recovered and going about their business. I have also killed bulls that had multiple healed-over gunshot wounds. If I was guiding for nilgai (something that I wouldn't do on a bet!) I would much rather have a dude that with a rifle that will consistently place shots where they need to go, regardless of the diameter of the bullet or the headstamp on the cartridge case.

Last edited by mudhen; 06/20/16.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by mudhen
I know many of the remarks here are tongue and cheek but to answer the question about why the large caliber recommendation/requirements by many landowners who hunt Nilgai, it's mostly do to poor shot placement. Hell yea a .243 will kill a Nilgai bull if the shots well placed but it's nowhere near the most effective tool for the job. Tracking wounded game in South Texas is a brutal task that should be avoided any way you can!

A poor hit with a .375 H&H is only marginally (if any) better than a poor hit with a .243. A poor hit with a .375 is much more likely if it is a rifle that is borrowed, or one you only pull out of the gun safe for a once or twice in a lifetime hunt.

Nilgai, especially the bulls, are tough critters. I have seen bulls walking around with 4-5 ft of intestine hanging down out of their guts. I have seen these same bulls months later, apparently completely recovered and going about their business. I have also killed bulls that had multiple healed-over gunshot wounds. If I was guiding for nilgai (something that I wouldn't do on a bet!) I would much rather have a dude that with a rifle that will consistently place shots where they need to go, regardless of the diameter of the bullet or the headstamp on the cartridge case.

I agree that I'd rather hunt with guys that can shoot but when you hunt for hire you get all kinds. Chances of recovering a bull gut shot with a 300WM have got to be higher than one with a .243

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by ingwe
Kinda what I thought Jeff...

But the Texans think Nilgai are bulletproof and usually require you to use .300 mags on up.

WTF?

I think the biggest difference is how they're hunted. Shooting from a vehicle (if it's not on a public road) is legal in Texas. As others have mentioned, a lot of nilgai hunting is done by guys driving around and shooting from high racks on trucks. The animal is almost always aware of the hunters and is often running. So they get a lot of marginal hits and thus a lot of ranches, including the King, ask that the hunter uses a 300 Win Mag or bigger.

I know guys who've killed them with .243's and .270's so obviously they're not bulletproof. I'd like to hunt them but have had a hard time finding a guide would take me on a spot and stalk hunt and not be phased by my using a smaller rifle (I'm not buying a .300 just for that purpose).

As for the meat, it's easily some of the best I've ever enjoyed.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mudhen

I agree that I'd rather hunt with guys that can shoot but when you hunt for hire you get all kinds. Chances of recovering a bull gut shot with a 300WM have got to be higher than one with a .243

In my experience, the odds of recovering one that is gut shot are not good, regardless of the cartridge. However, if you can chase them in a vehicle and shoot them multiple times, I would agree that it might take fewer shots with a .300 Mag.

Ben

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Still say we should round up a few 24HCF guys and make a hunt out of it. Gunner's big enough he can be our pack mule....

LOL, that dude left port moons ago JG, all that's left is a worn out old dog. grin

Bull Mule?............very funny Doc, bet we can conspire to get it all done though.

The trick is getting someone to ramrod this expedition. I nominate Roger (stxhunter). He knows the inshore islands really well, and is more than passing conversant with the King Ranch as well. If we're gonna do an inland exotic hunt (which may make a lot more sense if we've got a crew of more than 4) there are a lot of ranches we can book with. The big advantage of a ranch hunt is that there's usually young "guides" who can do the heavy lifting.

And a hearty AMEN from the back row. laugh

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Porsche73
Does anyone think my 8mm mag is too light assuming proper bullet placement. Also I am a Texan. Porsche73

Probably on the light side for a Texican... shocked

More than enough for just an average hunter... grin

Proper bullet, as with any round.

DF
Way to light for this here New Mexican.

We use .460 Wby's for jackrabbits.

[Linked Image]

Well, after my last nilgai hunt I'm buyin' a .505 Gibbs...

laugh

Ordinance of that magnitude, gunner's your man... laugh

His .505 Gibbs, IIRC, is a rebored .416R. He actually shot out the Rigby barrel, killing rocks and 'dillers on his OK ranch...

How many do you know who can say they shot out a DG, heavy rifle... shocked

Yeah, Doc, you sure thinking like a Texican... grin

DF

AHEMMM, Ed Hubels your man for the real heavies, I'm just a wanna be. laugh

I bought that 416 R way back in '95 DF, sheesh..........blush

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here is a pic showing the thickness of the hide over the shoulders and neck/brisket area that Mule Deer referred too.

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Wow, I had no clue. Never seen anything like that on a big game animal.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I 2nd your Wow JGRaider and raise it to a double Wow. Definitely want a stoutly constructed bullet for that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Wow, I had no clue. Never seen anything like that on a big game animal.

It's called a "dermal shield". Breeding bulls "fight" by dropping to their front "knees" (actually their metacarpal joints), crossing their necks and pushing with their hind legs against the shoulder of their rival. While this is going on, they are also hooking their opponent with those short, sharp horns in the lower neck and shoulders. The dermal shield prevents those from horns penetrating deeply enough to do some real damage.

After a few moments, one bull realizes that his opponent is bigger and nastier and breaks off before any real damage is done. However, occasionally the shoulders will slip, allowing the heads to move down toward the heart/lung cavity or the abomen where the horns can penetrate the hide and inflict real damage--sometimes enough damage to prove fatal. The ones that I have necropsied that died from wounds inflicted by fights usually had multiple punctures in their lungs that hemorrhaged enough to cause the animal to bleed to death.

Punctures to the abdomen do produce some nasty looking wounds, but they are rarely fatal. The bull that I referenced in the post above had a loop of intestine literally dragging the ground, but somehow survived.

Last edited by mudhen; 06/20/16.

Ben

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a .30-06 I can use.....( borrow it from Ingewife) if they want bigger than that I guess I wont be hunting with them.

You can borrow my .300 win mag #1. Or the .300 Roy. Or the 8mm mag. just no thongs, please... crazy

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BRISTECD
Here is a pic showing the thickness of the hide over the shoulders and neck/brisket area that Mule Deer referred too.

[Linked Image]

Those 500gr Woodleighs I bought for the .475 Turnbull may come in useful, after all...

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

[Linked Image]

Hoooooooly Smoke ! !

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Last big bull I walked up on I was on my way to the quail killin' fields back in January. He was a big un! I ease my way back to the cabin and got my 9.3x62 and came back. Tracked him to the neighbors fence.
Let's see,,,, boys that have shot em on the place have used 30/06 with 180 Partition, .338 win mag with Fed blue box ammo, and .458's and I cannot remember the bullet. We general ambush or still hunt known trails.

I knew the old game warden there in Rivera (now deceased) fav was a Ruger #1 in 220 Swift. Actually I believe he lived in Sarita. I miss him. Heck of a fellow!

An interesting story, While I was still at the gun shop spoke with one of the locals who mentioned a cousin heard a hell of a commotion in his carport/garage on the outskirts of Rivera and found two Bulls going at it as Mudhen mentioned. Evidently they had fought their way across the yard and ended up in the garage. He slew em both with a 30/06 if I remember correctly.

Last edited by kaywoodie; 06/20/16.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

[Linked Image]

Cool pic. Thanks!

Seen hide like that on the neck of a bull gemsbok...but no place else....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That thick hide is also the reason they don't really leave much of a blood trail - it just seals back up preventing any leakage. I have never shot entirely through one, but have found several bullets underneath the hide on the off side. I really like the old Trophy Bonded bullets or Swift A-frames for nilgai hunting.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I have a .30-06 I can use.....( borrow it from Ingewife) if they want bigger than that I guess I wont be hunting with them.

You can borrow my .300 win mag #1. Or the .300 Roy. Or the 8mm mag. just no thongs, please... crazy

Or, if you like, Mr. Poobs, you can borrow my .375 H&H as I'm apparently gonna be using a .505...

... but I have to say I'm with Patrick regarding you & yer leopard-print thong...

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Poobs is into light ordinance, sold a beautiful .375 H&H Whitworth.

I'm not sure if "light ordinance" has any relationship with "McFlame"... shocked

Just asking... grin

DF

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10ring1, 19rabbit52, 63 invisible), 2,315 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,211
Posts18,466,230
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.