Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
So, about to pick one of these up.

I'm a big 300WM fan, but am thinking of going to the 300WSM simply because it fits into a smaller, shorter rifle with almost the same performance and slightly less recoil.

This brings me to my next point. If at all possible, could someone with an 85 in 300wsm or 270wsm chime in with their internal mag length? I want to shoot the 200r Accubond as I have a few hundred of them, and would like to be able to do this without having the bullet eat up all the case capacity. Also, it would be nice to be able to get near the lands and magazine feed.

I'd have to tool up with new dies and brass but thats not so big of a deal. Lastly, does anyone know if the barrels are the same standard contour (.620 muzzle dia.) and simply fluted, or whether they use a thinner profile to begin with?

You only live once.
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have a Finnlight in 30-06 and other model 85's in Magnum and had one short mag action. I wouldn't want a Finnlight in a full size magnum action. If you want magnum performance in a FL the wsm is what I'd get. For my uses I'm happy with the 30-06 and would consider a 308 length action if doing over.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I have a sako 85 finnlight in 270 wsm, my mag box length is 2.930"

Muzzle diameter at 24" is: 0.630"

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
good move,love mine.308 so I can't answer your question.Have fun.

Sorry,I drank the Sako-Aid.My opinion may be biased.
bh444
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Before you drop your $$ on a Finnlight due a google search on "Sako ejection problems". Lots of folks are having problems. Expecially with the long action calibers. A friend of mine bought one in 7 Mag and ejected cases kept hitting the scope and dropping back into the loading port. Beretta won't help with the problem. He sent his down the road and bought a Tikka. He's very happy with the Tikka.

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Labman, thanks. The Beretta sales rep for my region happens to be a personal friend, so if my rifle doesn't eject, it goes back to beretta. I'm well aware of the issue though. A friend had a .223 varmint that shot like a demon, but wouldn't eject. Had the same issue. He received a refund and built a custom on a 700.

At any rate, here's hoping mine is trouble free from the beginning.

You only live once.
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I had a 85 in 204 shot very well, had ejection problems.

MOLON LABE
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
My Sako 85 Finnlight 300 WSM cycles fine. It is a very accurate rifle with several load recipes & shoots them all into a 2 MOA aggregate @ 100 yards. It is the most rifle you'll buy off the shelf.

Magazine internal is 2.945.
OAL with Accubonds is 2.369 measured case base to ogive with Stoney Point Comparator

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Reloder28
My Sako 85 Finnlight 300 WSM cycles fine. It is a very accurate rifle with several load recipes & shoots them all into a 2 MOA aggregate @ 100 yards. It is the most rifle you'll buy off the shelf.

OAL with Accubonds is 2.369 measured case base to ogive with Stoney Point Comparator

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thank you so much. Now i know that all chambers/throats are different even in the same model of rifle, but how far off the lands is the 200gr Accubond at that length? I'm assuming it still fits in the magazine. Thanks again

You only live once.
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have had several model 85's and a few had ejection issues (very common for Sako 85 as you already know) and it is true that Beretta wont do chit to help you, I found out the hard way....hopefully your new rifle will function fine.....good luck....Hb

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If you re going to use a scope with large windage turret, You will likely have trouble with ejection. This is common on 3 lug bolt guns due to the location of extractor between lugs. The angle of the case during extraction is too steep and hits the turret. Something to think about. This problem is why Cooper went too a Spring loaded plunger extractor.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
You won't find many other guns with a 6:00 standing ejector. There's a reason for that. The 85s I've had hit scopes wouldn't have been helped by smaller turrets. They already had small turrets and hit the bottom of the scope tube itself.

I've had the most consistent ejection from guns with plunger ejectors. The Xbolt is a 3 lug similar to Sako but plunger ejector. Ejection angle is perfect on the 3 I've had.

Im also a little tired of folks belittling 700 type actions as not being reliable enough for dangerous game. Nobody told the Army or Marines. When I was younger and only shot 700s I never knew what ejection problems were. It wasn't until spending $1500-$2000 for boutique rifles that I heard my first ping of brass banging a scope tube.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I would second the above about the Tikka. I stopped by Cabela's on my way through this week and handled a Finnlight WANTING to love it. The Tikka Superlite felt better in my hands. It's lighter and just fit me better.

I'm also a young guy and plastic does not bother me though. Materials have come a long way. Plastics offer several advantages over metal, but that's a personal thing. I liked the reduced weight of the Tikka. It is noticeable in the hand.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by reloder28

Originally Posted by Below_par
you so much. Now i know that all chambers/throats are different even in the same model of rifle, but how far off the lands is the 200gr Accubond at that length? I'm assuming it still fits in the magazine. Thanks again

I have only loaded 150, 165 & 180's.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks Reloader 28.

Interesting comments about the Tikkas. I own two already, and absolutely love them. Have some FN made M70s in the safe also, and considered an extreme weather but they are just a little "clubby" when handled.

It makes absolutely perfect sense to buy another Tikka, but I've wanted a finnlight for a long while, maybe just because they are "nicer" than a Tikka. Superficial I know, but I guess were all a little looney in our own ways.

I'm happy to take the gamble on ejection. if its problematic, shell be replaced.

You only live once.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
As far as Sakos go, I like the A series, the 75 is my go to hunting rifles in finnlight and stainless synthetic. As far as Sakos being a boutique rifle....not sure about that. Never had ejection problems from a 75 or earlier rifles. Have heard of this from 85's. It will be a fine rifle. I've not run into too many situation where I had to jack shells out feverishly to kill the game I was after. One shot should do it......

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers with the boutique rifle suggestion. Just how I refer to mine. I lump any of the small production premium rifles in too. Kimbers, W MkV, etc.

Any design has trade offs or unintended consequences. The key is finding what features one feels are most important and grab up that model.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Horseman
Im also a little tired of folks belittling 700 type actions as not being reliable enough for dangerous game. Nobody told the Army or Marines. When I was younger and only shot 700s I never knew what ejection problems were. It wasn't until spending $1500-$2000 for boutique rifles that I heard my first ping of brass banging a scope tube.

My first Sako, an 85 Bavarian in 6.5x55, is on it's way, and I pick it up on Friday. I'm crossing my fingers it won't have any ejection issues, especially since my Nightforce NXS has wide turrets.

It's funny how a single incident can really turn you off a company. When I went to buy a new bolt action this time, a Remington 700 didn't even cross my mind. My last Remington 700 I bought new a few years back was a LTR. On my first trip to the range with it, I was firing normally, in the prone position, closing the bolt and the bolt handle literally fell off in my hand. I don't mean that I jammed the bolt closed and it "popped off", I mean I gently closed the bolt to chamber a round and the handle literally fell off into my hand. The gun had never been dropped or damaged. The welding marks on both the bolt and handle looked horrible. I called Remington and the customer service rep called me a liar, and said I must have been smashing on the bolt handle with a hammer to get a too-hot case out. I asked to speak to his supervisor, and in the end they replaced the bolt and I sold the rifle. I'd way rather have an ejection issue than have a bolt handle fall off. At least the rifle will still fire with the first issue.

Now don't get me wrong, I know that the vast majority of the thousands of Remington 700's are great rifles. I got a fluke. I know that it's not logical to swear off them, or to think that they are crap. But logic aside, I can't help myself. I have a sour taste and would never buy another one. It could be the best shooting Remington 700 in the world, and every time I shot it I'd wonder if that was the day the bolt handle was going to fall off. All guns are mechanical devices, and you can get a bad one or a great one. Like I said, I'm hoping my new Sako 85 will be a great one. Time will tell.

Last edited by Jedi5150; 06/19/16.
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
After all the deliberation,

I got onto a deal I couldn't pass up. Got a brand new M70 extreme weather 300WSM for less than half the price of a new 85 Finnlight.

Already have two FN M70s which belonged to my late father. They have been flawless since new, so i'm confident this new one will be also.

You only live once.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Great choice!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, 35, Akhutr, 7x57Hunter, 10Glocks, 8 invisible), 1,575 guests, and 731 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,563
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.