Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
For you 162 Amax fans.... I've been messing with the 162 ELD-X and seeing very good things.... 100-yard groups from my heavy 7 WSM are in the .35" range center to center, consistently, and to frost the cake, the POI is exactly the same as the 162 Amax.

The ELD-X is their new long range hunting bullet.... G1 BC is .630. It has the AMP jacket but with an interlock ring.

162 Amax on the left, ELD-X on the right.

[Linked Image]

My long range spot has a logger infestation at the moment but I hope to start LR testing "soon".

Anybody else messing with these?

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I shot some this morning. Out of this Tikka that really likes the Amax. I shot the rifle as shown with the bipod and rear bag. It has a SS 3-9 on it.
[Linked Image]

I started low and worked up with everything the same as my Amax load(except the bullet of course). I know I need to go back and shoot more, but right now the velocity is the SAME with the ELD X and the Amax. This is the ELD with my regular Amax charge. (2645, 2656, 2635.)
Three into .6. The wind was moving me and the board or I think it would be tighter.
[Linked Image]

My POI is low and right. A little of the right could have been the wind, but not all of it. (Wind switchy from about 10:00.)

This is what it did at 500 yards (2.25 inches. And yes, I know three shot groups are inconclusive, but this is just a trip to check things). I was aiming at the blue tape square. I'm left because I held too much wind (.8 mil.) I know this isn't really long range, it's just a start, but the new bullet looks promising. I just hope it woks on game as well as the Amax does.

[Linked Image]

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
ELD looks to be longer - particularly base to ogive. Or is that a trick of camera angle?

Me

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks for the info, glad to see they are shooting well for you.

I may not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by teal
ELD looks to be longer - particularly base to ogive. Or is that a trick of camera angle?

That's what I see.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

IC B2

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Check out the increase in bearing surface.

Dave

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
JeffhomO, awesome post as usual. Thanks for putting it in the LR forum. A crappy pic of a bullet, and a fictional account of the groups you've achieved at a staggering 100 yds.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
^^ How about just ignoring him instead of polluting up the forum?

Those bullets do look a lot different.

Gerry.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
To my eye all Hornady did with the 162 ELD-X was raise the price 25% and go back to their 2nd generation design. I've been shooting the 162 Amax in my 7RMs for past 22 years and this new bullet looks exactly like the Amax circa 1994.

The bearing surface/boat tail of the older Amax was longer and provided a significant increase in BC over the 3rd incarnation of the 162 Amax.

Unless they changed the jacket thickness/lead alloy content/hardness, I'd say they took a step backwards and increased the price. Whats old is new again.

Of course I've been labeled as a speculator, but here is a photo comparing 2nd vs 3rd generation 162 Amax.

SD

[img:center][Linked Image][/img]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Other than adding a magic tip and an IL ring too far forward to be of much use, I'd say you're right!

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by gerrygoat

cause some folks get off on calling others names and such.... the downfall of the country continues to show itself around this place. But history showed that shooters.com did the same, 24 is headed the same way.

But I digress

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by SD65
To my eye all Hornady did with the 162 ELD-X was raise the price 25% and go back to their 2nd generation design. I've been shooting the 162 Amax in my 7RMs for past 22 years and this new bullet looks exactly like the Amax circa 1994.

The bearing surface/boat tail of the older Amax was longer and provided a significant increase in BC over the 3rd incarnation of the 162 Amax.

Unless they changed the jacket thickness/lead alloy content/hardness, I'd say they took a step backwards and increased the price. Whats old is new again.

Of course I've been labeled as a speculator, but here is a photo comparing 2nd vs 3rd generation 162 Amax.

SD

[img:center][Linked Image][/img]

Seems to me it was around 94 that they had some 75 amax issues too... wonder what was with all that....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Just to make sure we are all on the same page, the replacement for the Amax is the ELD Match. I have not tried those yet. I still have 500-600 Amax's.

The bullet I'm talking about is the ELD-X. It has the same BC as the new ELD Match @ .630.... older Amax were .625 if memory serves. Anyway, the ELD-X. It still has the AMP jacket (I.E., soft?) but they added an interlock ring to supposedly keep the bullet from coming unglued. Here's the box.

[Linked Image]

All I know so far is that they shoot great at 100 yards and to the exact same POI as the 162 Amax, but those two things make it real interesting to this high-volume 162 Amax consumer. smile

On the topic of the ELD-Match, the designated Amax replacement, on another thread it was said that Hornady told the poster that they were identical save for the new tip. I have no idea. The have changed the 162 Amax at least twice. I have some old ones that are really different than the more recent ones. I'll take a pic.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by rost495

cause some folks get off on calling others names and such.... the downfall of the country continues to show itself around this place. But history showed that shooters.com did the same, 24 is headed the same way.

But I digress

Feel free to put me on ignore. JeffO is a god damn liar, bleeding heart liberal and Obama supporter. Give him a hug after you lose more of your gun rights.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah gotta wonder why they put the interlock ring so far forward. Doesn't make much sense.

Of course, there was nothing wrong with the Amax, but I digress....

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

But I digress

Feel free to put me on ignore. JeffO is a god damn liar, bleeding heart liberal and Obama supporter. Give him a hug after you lose more of your gun rights.

Maybe you should put Jeff on ignore as he seems to cheese up your twat without really trying..
smile

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Nrut,

I get a kick out of how easy some can get their hooks into another person, even when they don't even know it.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Yeah gotta wonder why they put the interlock ring so far forward. Doesn't make much sense.

Of course, there was nothing wrong with the Amax, but I digress....

I've always been sceptical of the value of the Interlock ring, especially the version used on the SST. The SSTs I sectioned revealed the ring was so tiny as to be almost impossible to discern.

In fact the Interlock ring on the 150g version of the .277 version was so small I couldn't even see it. It wasn't there.

I reckon a slightly harder lead alloy in the core trumps any mechanical locking device short of a Partition style design, if you want lead core bullets to stay together.

Back on thread, the ELDX sounds a lot like a sleeker version of the old SST, without a cannelure.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

But I digress

He has his rights just as you and I do. He knows I think he was dumb to think the way he did. Doesn't mean we can't still converse and exchange knowledge.

Hell I think he is stupid to do weed too.

But life goes on, and there are much larger battles to fight than Jeff O. The fight is in another place.

And the name calling is flat pre K childish.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
The BC matching the Amax/ELD Match would be the salient point... at least in my rifle, the POI at 100 yards being the same means in theory a drop-in load that matches established drop dope...

...... that's the dream anyway! smile

I've been playing with the 7mm 195 Bergers and while they shoot great, and look good on a ballistic chart (though not THAT much better than a 162 Amax), they do require both a windage and elevation adjustment "offset" from the 162's since they don't share the same POI. That is workable but hurts my brain.

BD, I have seen a 162 Amax come unglued on a deer shoulder at 200 yards. I mean it killed the crap out of the deer but IF the ELD-X really does have a .630 BC I'm for thinking a little tougher bullet than the Amax is a good thing.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (160user, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 02bfishn, 66 invisible), 2,450 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,224
Posts18,466,544
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.