Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#11248045 06/14/16
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
My zebra pedestal mount is coming along nicely!
[Linked Image]

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
very nice....my zebra was the first animal I took in Africa.....will never forget.....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AFTERUM
very nice....my zebra was the first animal I took in Africa.....will never forget.....

Mine also. 301 yards in Namibia.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Mine was my third African animal, at 18 yards with a bow. The second zebra was abou my 12th animal, bow at 30 yards.
They are an awesome and tough animal.

NRA Patron
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My Zebra taken in Namibia was of the Hartmann's Mountain variety- hunting these animals in the arid, hot, rocky mountains of Namibia was a great hunting experience.

[Linked Image]

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I don't know who this skinny young sprout of a boy is, but he is one handsome devil! Posing with his first zebra, a Hartmanns, in 1987...

[Linked Image]

Notice the scope.....oh, to have young eyes again!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by ingwe
I don't know who this skinny young sprout of a boy is, but he is one handsome devil! Posing with his first zebra, a Hartmanns, in 1987...

[Linked Image]

Notice the scope.....oh, to have young eyes again!

They had color film back then...??

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
It was colorized on photoshop. grin

Didn't think it would matter cause the zebra was in black and white.

Last edited by ingwe; 06/15/16.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Mine, in Namib also. Played cat and mouse with a small herd led by this old mare; it was a very challenging stalk.

BTW, that is a 24HCF ball cap. wink

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Great pics. My Hartman's hunt was one I will never forget, a real ballbuster on my first day of my first Namibian hunt. 8 hours, 8-10 miles later I finally put one down.

It is a must hunt for those visiting Namibia IMO. As a bonus, as Ingwe told me before I went (and I didn't really believe him, honestly)the steaks off this zebra were magnificent eating......some of the best.

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Some very nice disco donkey's!

I absolutely love hunting zebra, one of my favorite animals.

I have several rugs and also have a pedestal mount in the works like Mr. Dan.

Cool stuff, guys.

Those zebra steaks have my mouth watering JGRaider!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Chris, thats a BIG 10-4 on the steaks.....definitely a favorite and Zebra hamburgers are the BEST!

Seems like for plains game, next to kudu, zebra offer the most interesting hunt.

Tell me if you've noticed, or think Im off my rocker.

Burchells zebra tend to rely on their buddies senses a lot. Often see them running with Eland, giraffe, or other 'alert' species.
Hartmanns rely on their own senses....doesnt make them easier to sneak on! grin

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Have hunted them in Namibia, RSA, and Zim.
Probably my favorite trophy to have in my home. I have a couple of rugs.
Yes, as a trophy in my home, even better than sheep or big kudu.
Great eating if yellow fat removed before cooking. Yum.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
My first African animal was a zebra as well. I was there for buff first, kudu and eland second, and didn't care if I shot anything particular after that, but my PH want to see me shoot some kind of game before he'd cut me loose on buff, understandably. So I had my choice of wildebeest or zebra, and as I have no interest in hanging a gnu on my wall, I chose zebra.

We spotted a large mixed herd from the hunting car and then stalked in on foot half a mile or so. I was surprised at how much fun it was. I shot my stallion dead at about 150 yards, and we skinned him out for a rug.

The Redhead is really looking forward to getting that rug, as am I. But when I went down to the taxidermy shop to see my heads/skins when they came in last month, I saw several zebra shoulder mounts that were absolutely beautiful. Now I have another animal I need to go back to Africa for... I gots to have a zebra shoulder mount in my study, and probably another zebra rug for the den, since the first rug is going in the bedroom...

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I enjoy hunting zebra with my clients. It's the one animal the Foreign hunters can track alone. All the cloven hooves tend to look the same or too similar for the hunters to make sense of most of the time.

However, once on the zebra track I can let them go in front of me and track themselves. Zebra are often quite chatty as well, adding to the foreplay of getting closer. Sometimes after tracking for an hour or so we hear them 200-400 meters away and know we are closing in.

I think the American Hunters tracking and hunting this way enjoy this hunt at least as much as anything else we go after. For those who tell me that they just cannot shoot a zebra because it's like a horse, Well the decision is theirs, however I know they miss out on one of the true stalking adventures they can do all by themselves and make this a true hunt on there own. I'm just along for moral support when tracking and hunting zebra!

It's also not possible to sex them 100% so I don't even care which one they shoot. Anyone is as good as another. If you're going to try and explain to me the way to sex them...... well I welcome the entertaining opinions but it's simply not possible to do 100% of the time.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
That's a dandy Dan, congrats buddy.

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

JJ, perhaps you can confirm something for me. My PH/rancher said to shoot the leading mare, an older, presumably dry animal. He told me they are the preferred animal over a herd stallion for two reasons.

The first was, he said, stallions are usually scarred up from biting, kicking, and general fighting amongst themselves. But more importantly, he claimed that when you down a stallion, the next one off the bench in their social order would kill all the dead stallion's foals impacting the herd all the more.

Anyway, it was probably the plains game hunt I enjoyed the most as they were very wary and even with all the bush it took several hours to get the shot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I went to SA--the zebra was the one animal I wanted the most. To me it says "Africa".

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I took Zebra $$$ to RSA in 2014

But couldn't pass up this brute

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Much as I have about zero Africa desire, I do think zebras are cool.

They have them around here off and on, some ranches, always neat to see them.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

338 members (1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 264mag, 270winchester, 29 invisible), 2,475 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,452
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.