Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Way to fan the flames! Nice pictures.

Leaving Tuesday, zebra is on the list.

But then again, so is Oryx, kudu, impala.....

Have to see how the hunt goddess Diana smiles.

Arcus Venator
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
George, old stallions are usually pretty beat up especially the mane and tail. The biggest oldest mare is often bigger in body, and usually has nice mane and tail.

I'm not sure about the killing off of colts by a new male. In 25 years never heard that one. That's 100% true for lions but never heard it with zebras. I'm doubtful this is the case, but experienced enough to know I don't know everything.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

JJ, perhaps you can confirm something for me. My PH/rancher said to shoot the leading mare, an older, presumably dry animal. He told me they are the preferred animal over a herd stallion for two reasons.

The first was, he said, stallions are usually scarred up from biting, kicking, and general fighting amongst themselves. But more importantly, he claimed that when you down a stallion, the next one off the bench in their social order would kill all the dead stallion's foals impacting the herd all the more.

Anyway, it was probably the plains game hunt I enjoyed the most as they were very wary and even with all the bush it took several hours to get the shot.

George,
The killing of colts by new males are quite frequent in our area. We have found numerous colts dead, after receiving a kick to the head from the new stallion taking over the group.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Zebra rugs.
Now for something different.
A close pal went on his first African trip. He got excited and shot a young zebra. He got a lot of kidding in camp. However it was very good eating. Then the big surprise. He had it made into a rug. Since it was young it was small so he could use it in many places where a bigger rug would not have worked. In addition it was thick and lush...not a single mark on it. It was much more beautiful than 95% of the adult rugs.
I tried to get it from him but he wouldn't part with it.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
First Africa kill as well. The rifle? 375 H&H Model 70...OF COURSE. grin

[Linked Image]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'd say the 70 in 375 would have to be at least, if not more cool, than a sheep with 270 in an 70...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Has anyone here had shields made with any skins from their African animals?

That is what I am thinking of trying to do with any zebra/blue wildebeest I am fortunate enough to kill.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This topic has spurred some curiosity for me. I sent an email to a Wildlife manager acquaintance of mine in RSA, However I now find he is living in Namibia. He works with a film maker doing wildlife video and programs for television. Surprisingly he responded quickly, Figured would hear back about this in a few months! He reply:

No one knows for sure how common infanticide is in wild zebras. Research showed that infanticide has only been witnessed 3 or 4 times in wild populations and never filmed.

When infant animals are killed, it can also accelerate the onset of the mother’s estrus cycle. In which case the female can breed sooner, and the new male can maximize his chances of producing his own offspring. It's also noteworthy that only male off spring have ever been killed it seems. Probably so the stallion would have additional mates within the herd. This of course is assuming that the new male zebra has the mental capacity to think about all this while trying to survive.

Because zebra infanticide is so rare, we were utterly shocked when we came across this. It ranks as one of the more traumatic events we’ve witnessed in 2 decades filming in the wild.
-------------------------------------------------------------
So for me this seals the deal, it's real and it's much like the way lions handle offspring from another male. However, it's not a very common situation, and may be completely unheard of in fuller more stable populations where plenty of zebra exist.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
My partner took this Zebra a couple of weeks ago in Namibia, with the lowly 30-06 and a 180 Accubond.

[Linked Image]

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then think that half of the people are stupider than that" - George Carlin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

The Artistry of Wildlife owner Dennis Harris made this one famouse

[img:center]http://www.africahunting.com/attachments/img_0538_zpsksvgwx6q-jpg.47815/[/img]

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Here is the pic...fabulous!

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Another one that fell to a woman with the lowly .30-06.....180 TSX

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
Here is the pic...fabulous!

[Linked Image]

Thanks ingwe

Dennis is doing all of my 2014 animals and last year's bull elk. He has promised the Kudu wall pedistal will soon be completed

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
That is a unique and stunning mount, Ted!

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gorgeous! I didn't really consider a mount. I wanted a rug and now I am wanting a mount. So much for me having less taxidermy. whistle

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Nice looking animal Dan. I have never desired one and will likely pass when I head back next fall. Not sure why???

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I know what you mean Ed. Im the same way with giraffe.....

( but i will shoot and eat a zebra!)

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am with you on giraffe.

To be honest, zebra is not a must have.
But it is a classic African plains game specie.

This thread has got me excited about them, but with wheels up in 4 days, the excitement level is already through the roof.

Final pack was yesterday, with the weekend for double checking.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ingwe
Chris, thats a BIG 10-4 on the steaks.....definitely a favorite and Zebra hamburgers are the BEST!

Seems like for plains game, next to kudu, zebra offer the most interesting hunt.

Tell me if you've noticed, or think Im off my rocker.

Burchells zebra tend to rely on their buddies senses a lot. Often see them running with Eland, giraffe, or other 'alert' species.
Hartmanns rely on their own senses....doesnt make them easier to sneak on! grin

I agree 100%!

Seems like they are almost always near eland or giraffe when I hunt them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Ah hell. You guys got me to missing Africa so I had to hang a pic.

Here's one my youngest daughter, Ally shot. Oldest daughter, Rylie, pictured also.

First summer in about five years I'm not headed to Africa and damn I'm missing it.

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

473 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 34 invisible), 2,377 guests, and 1,067 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,837
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.