Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Last edited by JGRaider; 06/12/16.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Whiptail

Time to take up public hunting. I've had some great experiences in places that most Texans don't even know exist.

Me too.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'm in for a spot that I can hunt 140" plus deer for $50. Can anyone pickup my NR license?

Thank You or Kiss my ass.... Just in case I ever forgot.

Skane too.

David also - everyone named David....

And most Texans. And all-you-all that put me on ignore 'cause I said I think Weaver rings look like chit cause I really meant it! Thousand dollar rifle and a set of stamped metal rings - Geebus!

And anyone else I forgot to acknowledge, positively or otherwise, Thank You or KMA!

Carl

Reckon that pretty much covers it.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by powdr
The amount you guys spend for a tag wouldn't buy the gas a Texas guy spends going back and forth to their lease in the off season. powdr
Exactly the reason I'd never live in that shythole. People like to rag on those of us who live in NY because we have shytty politics and bad gun laws but I've hunted 41 seasons here, killed multiple deer every one of them and never spent a dime on lease/trespass fee's. Never will either. We have six million acres of public land and 10's of thousands of acres of it are within a 15 minute drive in any direction from my home. There are also still landowners here who will give permission to hunt for free. I have permission on 326 acres of private land just across the road from my house and another 148 acres 2 miles up the road. I have several more properties if I want to drive a ways but rarely do anymore as I don't have any trouble filling my tags right here at home. If you want to drive to NY in November I'll show you some places where you can set up camp and hunt till your hearts content.

Sounds like a win-win. You don't want to be in Texas, and with that attitude, we don't want you here.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Steelhead
The amount you guys spend for a tag wouldn't buy the gas a Texas guy spends going back and forth to their lease in the off season. powdr
Exactly the reason I'd never live in that shythole. People like to rag on those of us who live in NY because we have shytty politics and bad gun laws but I've hunted 41 seasons here, killed multiple deer every one of them and never spent a dime on lease/trespass fee's. Never will either. We have six million acres of public land and 10's of thousands of acres of it are within a 15 minute drive in any direction from my home. There are also still landowners here who will give permission to hunt for free. I have permission on 326 acres of private land just across the road from my house and another 148 acres 2 miles up the road. I have several more properties if I want to drive a ways but rarely do anymore as I don't have any trouble filling my tags right here at home. If you want to drive to NY in November I'll show you some places where you can set up camp and hunt till your hearts content.

Plus stupid property taxes, stupid people (see above) the the willingness to give YOUR money to people that want to destroy the Constitution.

Brilliant.
Stupid people are obviously abundant in the South too. Pay lower taxes but then have to fork over $2500.00 for a hunting lease where you're stuck on the same piece of property and probably even in the same few stands overlooking the same feeders day after day. How exciting.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
We don't pay stupid lease fee's like you Southern retards do.

That's a shame. I bet you're a blast to have around in deer camp.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JGRaider
We don't pay stupid lease fee's like you Southern retards do.

That's a shame. I bet you're a blast to have around in deer camp.
I notice none of you proud Texans have offered to show the OP a place where he can set up camp and hunt for free.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I'm Texan. I pay $48 for an annual public hunting permit and hunt public land. There are designated camping areas at most of the WMAs where public hunting is allowed. Of course, you'll have travel and camping costs, but otherwise, that's it. The largest hurdle to overcome, really, is scouting and familiarizing yourself with the land available to hunt. A guy who is retired should have the advantage of free time to do a lot of that during the off season.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
powdr and I have had deslings with each other and it worked out fine for both of us.

I'm sorry I can't let him hunt my place. I don't lease it out, but the ones that want to come hunt start calling in September. My wife has to schedule them in on the calendar so their hunts won't overlap. Not complaining, because we enjoy the company. I can only hunt so many folks a year because I have a small place and can only harvest so much game.

I truly believe in my heart, if powdr will build himself a good hog trap, put an ad in the paper "I trap hogs" --- he will be welcomed with open arms on many ranches, and some old rancher will let him shoot a deer or two. And, on the plus side, you can even pick up some pocket change and some new friends.

If you don't like Robert E. Lee, you won't like it on this ranch. JGM
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by oldgunsmith
if powdr will build himself a good hog trap, put an ad in the paper "I trap hogs" --- he will be welcomed with open arms on many ranches, and some old rancher will let him shoot a deer or two. And, on the plus side, you can even pick up some pocket change and some new friends.

This is great advice. Offer something in return.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Tejano
Originally Posted by oldgunsmith
if powdr will build himself a good hog trap, put an ad in the paper "I trap hogs" --- he will be welcomed with open arms on many ranches, and some old rancher will let him shoot a deer or two. And, on the plus side, you can even pick up some pocket change and some new friends.

This is great advice. Offer something in return.

I agree.

Of course many ranches won't welcome a hog trapper. Care to guess what works at most every place?

Cash!

Yes, that's right cash! Cash earned from a few piddling hours of work per week will buy a kingly hunting spot even in Tx. I suppose that begging on a street corner may be even more profitable. I've never tried it, but I hear those guys make $. Powdr should try that.

David

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Ask Santa for a lease and some MD 20 20 wine to go with it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, leave it to guys like Skane who can hunt for the cost of a tag to get his peter all bent out of shape. He's still mad cause I didn't say thank you for a worn out sling he sent me one time. God I wish I had his address so I could send the sum bitch back to him.

Or ole Big Ed, while switching between his summer cottage and his other seasonal home...poor bastard, wants to give financial advice to someone on a different scale. I feel for ya Ed. powdr

Good ol' Class Warfare alive and well even here on the Fire....

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rick,

I surely hope I didn't come across that way. I was merely trying to illustrate that a guy with limited discretionary income might need to prioritize.

What makes the campfire great is the abundance of fantastic folks - mostly strangers, that would seemingly give one another the shirt off of their back simply because of a shared interest/passion. Three people above have shown the OP cannot appreciate or at least acknowledge even the smallest acts of kindness.

The OP might be shy on funds but seemingly rich in time-on-hand due to retirement. Yet no offering to go above and beyond to move/fix stands, fill feeders, camera czar, process deer, reload ammo, trap hogs, yada, yada, yada - simply, "I'm looking to pay less".

I don't excel at many things but I am pretty good at reading sign. And past performance is indeed indicative of future results. wink

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
[video:youtube]uCB42DDDXPI[/video]

David

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I don't have a dog in this hunt. However, he asked about "reasonable" not free hunting. What is reasonable in one part of Texas might not be in another part. For example, if I was not a landowner, I would never be able to afford South Texas where I hunt. Why because it is not reasonable to hunt based on my salary, and I make a very good salary. Do I hunt in the same blind each year with the same feeder each year, yes I do and more then happy to. And I take a deer each year at least 140 pound and at least the same score. I really don't care about the rack anymore, I have so many of them, its pointless, its more the weight for me. My family also had some "hill county" land, that I hunted when I was a child too, but that sold. If the deer was more then 80 pounds, that was a monster. There were so many deer in the area that a year round lease was cheaper then the taxes on the property, but that was years ago.

Quite frankly if you are not making better then 250k a year (based on south Texas wages), you are priced out of South Texas. Would I never lease for deer, never. For hogs, it was not for the liability and the lease permits, etc., that's a different story. I wish rancher's would stop managing hogs trying to make money on hogs and just get every kill every last one of those things.

Last edited by wesheltonj; 06/28/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SKane
Rick,

I surely hope I didn't come across that way. I was merely trying to illustrate that a guy with limited discretionary income might need to prioritize.

What makes the campfire great is the abundance of fantastic folks - mostly strangers, that would seemingly give one another the shirt off of their back simply because of a shared interest/passion. Three people above have shown the OP cannot appreciate or at least acknowledge even the smallest acts of kindness.

The OP might be shy on funds but seemingly rich in time-on-hand due to retirement. Yet no offering to go above and beyond to move/fix stands, fill feeders, camera czar, process deer, reload ammo, trap hogs, yada, yada, yada - simply, "I'm looking to pay less".

I don't excel at many things but I am pretty good at reading sign. And past performance is indeed indicative of future results. wink

I wasn't referring to you. Powdr's post seems to reflect some jealousy about what others have.

I could be wrong. smile

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by wesheltonj
I don't have a dog in this hunt. However, he asked about "reasonable" not free hunting. What is reasonable in one part of Texas might not be in another part. For example, if I was not a landowner, I would never be able to afford South Texas where I hunt. Why because it is not reasonable to hunt based on my salary, and I make a very good salary. Do I hunt in the same blind each year with the same feeder each ymkear, yes I do and more then happy to. And I take a deer each year at least 140 pound and at least the same score. I really don't care about the rack anymore, I have so many of them, its pointless, its more the weight for me. My family also had some "hill county" land, that I hunted when I was a child too, but that sold. If the deer was more then 80 pounds, that was a monster. There were so many deer in the area that a year round lease was cheaper then the taxes on the property, but that was years ago.

Quite frankly if you are not making better then 250k a year (based on south Texas wages), you are priced out of South Texas. Would I never lease for deer, never. For hogs, it was not for the liability and the lease permits, etc., that's a different story. I wish rancher's would stop managing hogs trying to make money on hogs and just get every kill every last one of those things.

No he didn't - he said he couldn't afford to hunt and was looking for a place to go for a "modest fee" - in other words he's willing to pay less than it's worth. It's a con plain and simple. Hunting is nowhere close to a necessity - it's a luxury. If you can't afford a luxury you do with out. This is exactly what's wrong with this country - nobody is interested in equality of opportunity, only equality of outcomes.

In other words, he wants what "you" have but doesn't want to pay for it - you should give him yours. It's only fair. Sounds like you've got a good thing going for yourself, you gonna give him yours? Or were you thinking somebody else should? Somebody "rich"?

Disgusting.

The number of people that think it's OK is disgusting.

David

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Really got a burr under your saddle, don't you.

If this issue is "disgusting" you must lead a tortured life.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I've personally never had a problem helping another man, if I feel the man is worthy. You reap what you sow.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1lesfox, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 54 invisible), 2,920 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,355
Posts18,468,899
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.