Hop To
#11248334 06/14/16
X
xxclaro Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
X
What do you guys prefer for hunting? I've been shooting a TruBall Spitfire dual jaw for years, but thought maybe I'd see if there was something better. I picked up a TruBall CenterX this weekend and while I really like the trigger and the way I'm shooting with it, I wonder if its really suitable for hunting. The hook is much more closed in than most hunting releases and I worry that it could cause issues. I'm thinking of taking a file to it to open things up a bit on the non-moving side, but might wreck it in the process...

Any advantages to single caliper vs 2-jaw vs the hook type? Not sure what I should try next if this doesn't work out.

GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by xxclaro
I really like the trigger and the way I'm shooting with it

I think you answered your own question

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Fletch Hunter or Scott Little Bitty Goose

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I was shooting a Tru Ball hook. It induced a little bit of torque. I found the Scott a much better solution.

Go to you pro shop and shoot some. Only you will be able to tell which is a better fit for how you shoot.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I've tried quite a few.

Scott has been by far my favorite, I have three of them right now.

Personally, I do not think the Tru Ball is near the quality of a Scott.

Just my opinion.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Scott Little Bitty Goose for me. Mixed in with a Scott Longhorn hinge back tension release to remind me to aim, float and use back tension and not trigger the shot....

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I use a Free Flight C-10. It's more like a glove. I prefer it because the release isn't flopping around on my wrist. Just personal preference, that's all.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
I use a Free Flight C-10. It's more like a glove. I prefer it because the release isn't flopping around on my wrist. Just personal preference, that's all.
That's what I use as well. That said, I'm thinking about going back to a thumb release. While hunting I prefer to keep the release attached to the bow. I got extreme sticker shock when I saw what some of the new thumb releases cost!

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Fletcher..........Fletchunter.
Specifically the 3D shorty

Yeah they don't advertise. Yeah they don't show up on TV shows. Lots of folks have shot a while and never heard of them.

I got a bud to try it, he bought one.I have shot Fletcher since '85. Beat a lot of other folks using different smile

Buddy (with his new 3D shorty) and I visit a 3D range/shop. Owner laughs at us. I loan him my release and he goes nuts.
Starts carrying them.
Buddy won the IBO Triple Crown that yr, with the 3D shorty.

Yeah.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I set mine with a kinda heavy trigger.
Pulling a little into the stops as I pull that heavier trigger, kinda works like a back tension deal.

Another bud tried my release, was having form/shooting issues. He stabbed at the trigger and it didn't go off, but in his head it did so he collapsed. Got all crappy, cussed me.

I told him up front it didn't have a hair trigger, and that I thought one was supposed to aim throughout the shot sequence.

His lightbulb came on.
15 yrs of shooting, having taken various big game
He shortened his DL and increased his release trigger weight and now shoots the best he ever has.

I see too many punch the damn release. It's the HIV of archery.

Last edited by hookeye; 06/18/16.
IC B3

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Using a Carter Evolution currently to try and learn that surprised release via use of back tension .
Been using wrist strap up to this point and pulling the trigger.
I'll likely go to a Carter Wiseguy thumb release when I feel I have it down.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Using the trigger on a Fletcher like I have, it is a surprise but does get learned to the point it can be done rapidly with smaller surprise wink

I know guys running Carters and Stans, high $ stuff, go to Vegas and other. That's a whole nuther level/game.

No need to go that route IMHO unless you're shooting for 60 X's indoors every week.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Visually, I never liked more than a single spot target.
So with kickouts I never hit 300.

Everybody likes things a little different. Half the fun is finding out what works best for you.

Can get damn expensive in archery.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I made the switch to a handheld last year. Wont be using a wrist strap again. For the guys that talked about torque....if youre a righty shooting a handheld, the top d loop knot needs to be pointing at your face and not at the cable guard. I have been using the Stan SX3 but am awaiting delivery of the new Tru Ball Blade Pro. I certainly love the hand helds. Run same release for 3d as i do critters.

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I've been using the same Fletchunter concho release for over 20yrs and it's still going strong. I've used it so much that it have formed to my hand. I picked up another just like it cheap on ebay to have a backup in case this one ever stops working.

Life's Tough, God's Good, Pray Hard!
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Yeah, they get silver and purple from use (anodizing).
I got an old one for my kid (freebie). Had some homemade wrist strap that was junk.

Took all that off and it cleaned up fine.

I prefer a wrist model, and the newer version.
But they all are good smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I shoot with a True Fire Hardcore Max. release. It has a hook which I like and the head travels along the line of force so one can mot torque the release.

http://www.bowhunting.net/2012/08/gear-review-trufire-hardcore-max-release/

The land of the free because of the brave.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I shot a wrist strap for a long time and the Tru-fire Hardcore Max was the best I found.

I'm currently shooting a Carter Chocolate and enjoying the change but I haven't see a huge change in overall accuracy.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Back when I was on a manufacturers national shooting staff? Back tension was the only way to fly, even for hunting.

My body, the tendons in my arm, can no longer handle pulling 60lb bow back with with just a few fingers so it is punch-o-matics for me now.

I prefer Carter with single hook for ease of hooking up to the loop.

Last edited by wyoelk; 07/01/16.
C
CBB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
On a Trufire Hardcore now. Just ordered a Chicken Wing to test.
Have a bad case of target panic to beat.

Hunt...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

630 members (10Glocks, 160user, 1973cb450, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 65 invisible), 2,765 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,256
Posts18,467,051
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.