Print Thread
Hop To
D
dale06 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Thinking of having a Rem 700 338 Win mag made for deer, elk, possibly Africa.
Whats the pro and con of the Mcmillan hunter stock and the HS Precision stock that is for the LA BDL?
Thanks

Last edited by dale06; 06/15/16.

NRA Patron
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got a Hunter on a 700 in 9.3x62. Handles recoil nicely. Can's speak to the HS as I don't have one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
dale06,

There is another option in stocks. MPI in Portland, Oregon. Made my last stock. I really like it.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
That's some funny [bleep] right there...😂

IC B2

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I will never own a HS Precision or Troy product. Ever. Period.

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Had a couple HS...worked but felt like a club. The bell and Carlson medalist is basically the same stock but slimmer and better recoil pad.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I like the McMillan Hunter alot. They balance particularly well with 700 CDL-SFs and their 24" barrel.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I can't even imagine trying to realistically compare the two. McMillian....end of discussion.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jakelly

[Linked Image]

Yep. [bleep] HS. Hope karma bites that [bleep] horiuchi in the ass.....

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I've had only one HS Precision and now I'm up to four McMillans.

The HS Precision was pretty terrible. The felt recoil from the 30-06 was a marked increase, maybe the stock just didn't fit right. Then the finish (thicker than paint) began chipping off. If I were going to buy an aluminum bed stock again I would save the extra $150 over the HS and get a Bell and Carlson.

I have had a McMillan I didn't care for, a Hunter's Edge. I didn't like the comb drop, just never felt right.

Every other McMillan I've had has been pretty awesome. Thin grip, strong, light (I especially like the edge versions), stiff, etc.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Own both. Haven't had problems with either. Also don't see a difference in thickness/ heft.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
If you want "light" get an edge fill McMillan. If you have a hard kicker, I'd get an HS. The ergonomics and extra weight really help an HS stock soak up the recoil. At least for me. Have one right now on a sporter weight Rem 700 .30-06. No recoil issue with 200gr loads.

I like the thinner wrist on the HS stocks. I wish their fore arms were a little more petite. Have never personally had to have an HS stock bedded to improve accuracy.

Would be hard pressed to take another B&C stock if it was given to me...

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
It will come down to which model stock and how well it fits you. HS first came out with a stock that was a combo tactical/sporter/varmit rifle and that is where the clubby reputation comes from. It was made to take up to a #5 contour barrel. I have the SAKO model and like it. Not a light weight but good for Magnum rounds 300 and above. I like that the chasis makes it function as a take down if needed. The light weight they almost over did the reverse angle on the comb.

McMillan again will vary with style and how it fits you. I like all their classic styles. You will want to go standard or magnum fill and when you do the weight difference is not as great but the McMillan will still be a couple of ounces lighter.

Try before you buy if you can. It would be worth eating postage to try the stock first. This should be possible on the HS and maybe McMillan too if they had what you wanted in stock.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

[Linked Image]

Exactly... mad

The HS stuff I have, I traded for or got second hand. No new HS stuff for me.

DF

Edited to add, the FBI promoted Lon Horiuchi after his inappropriate action cost the govt. a $3 mil court settlement to the Weaver family. They made him their point man, sent him to the vendors of FBI sniper ware, so those vendors could kiss his azz, in effect exonerating the FBI, just to get those fat govt. contracts.

That's the way bureaucracy handles mess ups, they promote and make the offender a hero, which tends to white wash their administrative snafu. That's my beef with HS, they took the bait, put Lon's picture in their catalog with notes about what a great guy he was. They caught a LOT of negative feedback.

No thank you HS, hope you make a lot of money selling rifles to the govt., you won't get a cent from me.

And, compared to McM, HS stocks are clunky, heavy and awkward.

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 06/27/16.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have 5 HS stocks and they are good stocks, but heavy. McM is better simply due to the vast amount of designs and various fill options.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

[Linked Image]

Exactly... mad

The HS stuff I have, I traded for or got second hand. No new HS stuff for me.

DF

Edited to add, the FBI promoted Lon Horiuchi after his inappropriate action cost the govt. a $3 mil court settlement to the Weaver family. They made him their point man, sent him to the vendors of FBI sniper ware, so those vendors could kiss his azz, in effect exonerating the FBI, just to get those fat govt. contracts.

That's the way bureaucracy handles mess ups, they promote and make the offender a hero, which tends to white wash their administrative snafu. That's my beef with HS, they took the bait, put Lon's picture in their catalog with notes about what a great guy he was. They caught a LOT of negative feedback.

No thank you HS, hope you make a lot of money selling rifles to the govt., you won't get a cent from me.

And, compared to McM, HS stocks are clunky, heavy and awkward.

Interesting. McM it is. Many of my plastic stocks were bought in the 70's and 80's. I'll be looking at McM. Thanks df.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[bleep] HS. Why own [bleep] when you can have a McMillan for a few bucks more? They make a [bleep] product and obviously have zero conscience. [bleep] them and their poster boy Horiuchi.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Traded for this HS SPL .240, would never buy it new for reasons covered already. It was heavy, even though SPL stands for Sporter Light. The HS stock is clunky, heavy, thick and ugly. I got a Hunters Edge, in fact had to send the barreled action to McM. They had a CNC program for the HS 2000 action, not the SPL barrel. Well, now they do...

The HS stock weighs 42 oz, the Edge, 26 oz. I got the McM unpainted, did the bedding, glassed in the bolt handle notch, cut it out for perfect fit. Then, sent it back to McM for paint. I had to tape the bedding to save $28, the paint was no extra charge, including return postage.

My version of this gun is WAY better than the HS version. To their credit, they do make fine barrels, not too unlike Brux and Kreiger, cut rifling. This gun is half MOA as previously posted.

It now wears a VX-6 2-12x42 instead of the 6500 Bushnell shown.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 06/29/16.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (219DW, 160user, 204guy, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 48 invisible), 1,840 guests, and 1,059 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,182
Posts18,465,649
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.