Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Need some advice from the group on my first custom rifle build. I have a good idea of what I want, but would like some opinions on the best way to go about it. While I do not mind spending money for quality, I would like to avoid spending too much in areas that are not necessary to accomplish my goals for the rifle.

The chambering will be .257 Weatherby Magnum. It will be a carry gun for whitetail and I would like to keep things under 8 pounds scope included. As far as accuracy goes I would like to see 1/2 MOA, 3/4 MOA max.

Here are my thoughts on how to get there. Let me know what you think. Feel free to lambaste me if I'm way off base, I'm a noob and I know it. I wont take offense.

Action- Rem 700 is what I'm thinking because it seems like an easy starting point from what I have read. Couple of questions here. Am I better off buying a naked action or buying a cheaper model 700 complete rifle. If I buy just an action I would have to buy bottom metal and magazine components correct? Regardless of how I acquire the action, I plan to have my smith blueprint it for the sake of accuracy. I like a 2.5 to 3 pound trigger hunting and am not particular about triggers as long as it wont detract from accuracy goals. Would a tuned factory trigger be acceptable or is an aftermarket trigger a must?

Barrel- This would be the first barrel I have ever purchased and I am pretty much clueless here. From what I have read I know I should be getting a 26" to take advantage of the velocity of this cartridge. My initial plan was to take my gunsmiths suggestion on a stainless barrel that will suit my needs. I am thinking fluted to save weight. Gunsmith will be Tim Smith of Warren PA, not sure if anyone here knows of him but he seems to be very knowledgeable and helpful.

Stock- The best fitting gun I have ever picked up is my stock Remington 700 mountain rifle in 7mm-08. I would like to come as close as I can to duplicating this stock, only in synthetic. My thoughts are the McMillan mountain rifle stock in woodland camo. Not sure what fill I need. I know edge fill would be the lightest but I want to make sure I stay fairly balanced, maybe the standard fill would be ok?

Scope/mounts- Talley light weight mounts and Leupold VX3i 3.5-10X40mm is what I plan to use. I hunt mostly woods and have access to only one property where my maximum shot distance would be about 450 yards.

I do reload, and will be posting some questions in the reloading forum as I have never worked with Weatherby cartridges before. All opinions appreciated, let me know if I am on the right track.

BP-B2

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like a good build to me! For 8lbs total I'd go no bigger than a #2 if going 26". Could even go with a Rem mag contour dupe.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Thanks, forgot to include contour but #2 is what I was thinking.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm not too sure but a standard fill with a 26" #2 and a long action might crowd 7 lbs pretty hard without mounts and scope?

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Based on your parameters I'd call Melvin Forbes, depending upon your budget.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
IC B2

C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I've read about Melvin on this site and he certainly seems well respected. I don't have an exact budget nailed down, I have the extra funds, just don't want to spend where I don't need to. $2500 is fine with me as long as it is well spent.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Forbes will push closer to $4000. You could find s Colt light rifle in 7mm or 300 win. Send that to Melvin and he'll overhaul CLR, restock, bed, install a timney and Douglas barrel.

CLR - $500-700
Overhaul (include trigger and stock) - $650
Re-barrel - 600-800. I forget exactly.

Either way, under budget.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a NULA in 257WBY. It shoots bugholes with a large variety of bullets. I've only shot <100 rounds through it so far. I hadn't planned on selling it, but you never know.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
https://mcmillanusa.com/product/6031/
http://bugholes.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=88_89_93&product_id=511
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/2387/Remington+ACTION+700+LA+SS+MAG

Have Redneck cut barrel at 24", chamber in 7mm Rem, throat it for 180 scenars. Bed it yourself.
$425
$340
$400
Plus Redneck's costs. I like a 7mm way better due to the better bullet choices but if you really want a 257, just find a barrel in stock and rock on.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
croz2173,

I am thinking fluted to save weight.

Welcome to the 'fire.

Two things I will address. Twisted barrel fluted a barrel for me. I told him to lighten it as much as possible. He fluted with six straight flutes and reduced the weight by seven ounces despite it matching the lightest barrel Weatherby makes.

Also I would suggest Hasting Micro-cell recoil pad. Mine is 1.26" thick and weighs 2.9 ounces. Thaat's about half the weigh of other pads. It's been there three or four years and been on lots of hunts in different states and still looks good.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Whose #2 contour? Hard to find a maker that makes a #2 blank to finish at 26".

Last edited by butchlambert1; 06/15/16.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
A 257 weatherby with a 26" barrel for hunting woods...seems like a poor choice.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Welcome to the fire!

If I were you I'd find a CLR in 7RM and rebarrel.

If you're really trying to spend money on stuff that'll improve accuracy I'd put your flute money into a trigger.

Also for handling and weight a 24" barrel will sacrifice a mere 100 fps or so. No deer will know the difference but you will when you walk it through the forest. As mentioned above, it's tough to find a #2 that'll finish out at 26".

A 22" 25-06 could be even better yet. Kimber makes one at 24".

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 700 rifles have only entry level features with ordinary plain quality.

Look at more 700's before you order anything and take a close look a Kimber rifles, pre 64 M70 rifles.

See the control round feeding that the others have along with necessary three position safeties.

Control round feeding.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I vote 270 Weatherby throated for Berger eol 170s.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I'd also go Remington magnum contour dupe. Remington Hunters Edge adl trigger guard, and l'd lose the Talleys in favor of a Nightforce direct mount. For the barrel I'd go with benchmark, Bartlein, Kreiger, et al, whomever could fill the order fastest. Since you'll be getting a 1:8" 270 barrel 😉 it probably won't be in stock.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 30338
http://bugholes.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=88_89_93&product_id=511
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/2387/Remington+ACTION+700+LA+SS+MAG

Have Redneck cut barrel at 24", chamber in 7mm Rem, throat it for 180 scenars. Bed it yourself.
$425
$340
$400
Plus Redneck's costs. I like a 7mm way better due to the better bullet choices but if you really want a 257, just find a barrel in stock and rock on.

The better solution is just to buy a Kimber Montana in 7mm-08 and put a good scope on it. Way less money and the way I'd go if shooting righty.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Could just buy a tika lite in 257 wby.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by croz2173

Action- Rem 700 is what I'm thinking because it seems like an easy starting point from what I have read. Couple of questions here. Am I better off buying a naked action or buying a cheaper model 700 complete rifle. If I buy just an action I would have to buy bottom metal and magazine components correct?

If you're going to use a rem 700 then buy just the action, you'll end up throwing everything else away anyway. You wouldn't want to use the factory bottom metal if you're trying to save weight, go with aluminum instead. Magazine box, spring & follower are cheap.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Smith is a excellent smith and ive known him for years.
Listen to him.
I like my 700s to lock the bolt handle down so I avoid the new ones.
There triggers can be worked over and be very good.
I'd just find a M700 rifle and use the parts you want.
dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Hunt whitetails mostly in the woods but want a 257Wby?

You already know you really like the mtn rifle stock, settles that.

I'd go 6.5CM, 23" fluted #3, McM mtn rifle Edge fill, Timney trigger. You'll be well under 8lbs scoped.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
M700 is fine...just depends on how much cash you are going to dump into it. There comes a point where you're better off with a custom action. Seems like all the smiths want you to recut the whole action. $$$

C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

I realize this wont be an ideal woods gun. I have plenty of rifles to suit my hunting needs in the thick hills. Im interested in the cartridge, and this wont be my only build.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by croz2173
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

I realize this wont be an ideal woods gun. I have plenty of rifles to suit my hunting needs in the thick hills. Im interested in the cartridge, and this wont be my only build.

Works for me. smile

I have a custom in 257 Wby very similar to what you're proposing. With a #3.1 @ 26" in a Bansner Sheep Hunter stock - and the same scope/rings you're pondering, it's a wee shy of 8lbs IIRC.

A #2 in a regular fill McMillan might get you close to your target weight but I'd not bet the farm on it. FWIW, the camo gel coat you mentioned is not an option with an Edge fill.

A #2 fits nicely in a MR stock but I can't say how a Rem Mag or #3 contour would work.

If doing mine over, I'd find a SS #3 or Rem Mag contour in whatever brand is readily available (#2B if Bartlein), bob @ 25", drop it in a Classic stock with Edge fill and go slay critters. On second thought, if doing my 257 Wby over, it'd probably be a 7mm mag. laugh

Good luck with your project!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

$425
$340
$400

The better solution is just to buy a Kimber Montana in 7mm-08 and put a good scope on it. Way less money and the way I'd go if shooting righty.

If you happen to want a 7mm-08 Kimber, let me know. Local store has one (2015 model w/o threaded barrel) on clearance for $1000. I'm sure they would transfer to a store in your area. Shoot me a PM for details.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'm also thinking HARD about a straight 270 win. If the new numbers RL-16 is putting up are true, it's tough to pass. A 130 Berger with .496 BC moving at 3200 FPS is nothing to balk at.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
http://www.smithscustomguns.com/index.htm

I pretty much detest all things Weatherby.
...long story.
Factory rifle.
Worthless..
But I will give the 257 its due as a good deer killer.
Run monos instead of that exploding Berger crap.
dave

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by dave7mm
http://www.smithscustomguns.com/index.htm

I pretty much detest all things Weatherby.
...long story.
Factory rifle.
Worthless..
But I will give the 257 its due as a good deer killer.
Run monos instead of that exploding Berger crap.
dave

Laughing.. Dave cuts to the chase. Gotta love it! grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hi Bob,
I like my meat unleaded.
http://huntingwithnonlead.org/lead_in_meat.html

dave

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by dave7mm
Hi Bob,
I like my meat unleaded.
http://huntingwithnonlead.org/lead_in_meat.html

dave

We don't want to be seen as alarmist on this issue because no evidence currently exists that shows that any person has gotten actual lead poisoning from eating game meat.

David

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I agree on lead free for meat huntibg. I'm not paranoid, but I have 2 girls under 3.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I'd personally go 3+ on the bbl contour based on a bad experience with a #2 and several well known Smith's advice to stick with 3+. Sure, smaller can work and does for many, it's just hard to shake a bad experience. You can easily make your weight goal with a 3 or even a 4. You'll hear bad "balance" claims, but that hasn't been my experience(I don't call rigs that balance at the front action screw "bad"). Anywho, I built a 257Wby that weighed 8 with the following components: Borden Timberline, Fluted Rock #4 at 25", Rem metal, McM Hunter in edge fill(26oz), TLWs, Swaro Z5 3-18x44. That's quite a bit more than your budget, just trying to show a 2 is not needed for 8lbs.

Just about to send parts to Lee for another 257wby and anticipate it being a bit over 8 due to optic choice and lack of fluting: Blueprinted PTG SS 700, PTG one piece bolt, .187 PTG lug, Rem metal, Rem trigger, Rock 4 at 25", BC Ak Ti, TLWs, HD5 3-15x42. You could go #3 and your Leupie choice to bring that below 8lb if needed. That build is well less than your budget.

I wouldn't worry about fancy triggers for "2.5-3lbs," the Rem triggers will do that with ease. I've never had one that wouldn't and I have a decent supply laugh

I can see your wants for the cart, there's just something simple about 100s at 3700 for 400 and in point and shoot capability.

Good Luck with your new rig.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Thanks guys, some very helpful replies so far. Good to know a lot of smiths recommend at least #3 barrel, ill be asking all the same questions of my smith, but you all will have helped me be a little better informed and more confident going into the discussion.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
As Butch mentioned just naming a particular barrel contour/taper has ambiguity. You should probably decide how big a barrel, then find a barrel that matches it.

A Bartlein #3 will be too heavy. A Bart #2B would probably work.

A Hart or Shilen #3 will probably be good. Rock Creek #3 would work.

A Lilja #2 would be good also. A Pac Nor #2 would be fine. A Pac Nor #1 might be good.

Otherwise, if I were you I would get an Edge fill McMillan. Keep the barrel shank to 1 inch in front of the receiver. Crown at 24 inches. ADL or BDL, both are fine. Use a Timney, Shilen, or Rem trigger, they will all get to 2.5 lbs with a good pull.

If I were you I would get a Lilja #2 barrel, your choice of receiver, McMillan Remington Classic Edge or Echols Shrike Edge, 1 inch red pad, grey paint, your choice of scope rings/mounts, and either a Leupold 6x36 LRD or a 3.5-10x40. With a 700 I think you'll be around 7.5 lbs scoped.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Also just looking around this morning. One of Ruger's No. 1 Distributor Exclusive this year is at Lipsey's. It's chambered in 257 Weatherby.

It has a 28 inch barrel, but that's fine on a No. 1 as you don't have the receiver to worry about.

If I wanted a 257 Weatherby that'd be a good place to start!

Last edited by joelkdouglas; 06/17/16. Reason: typo
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Instead of going the custom route I would buy a Winchester model 70 pre 64 in 264 mag and doll it up to what you want it, ballistic are close enough, some guy's wait years to get there custom rifles back from the gunsmith,and when you get tired of it you can't get your money back that you put into it, at least with the Winchester you can.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not sure who your using,but im sure I wont be using, who your using..
Tim Smith of Warren PA. is a excellent gunsmith and he wont be waiting...

dave

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Bought the first piece last night. New Rem 700 LA MAG, SS. Looking forward to seeing Tim again and talking barrel options.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
See if he can talk you out of a 257, and into a 264. smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
About as good as a 257WBY build gets...if I ever get to do one this will be my guide.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...s/1619783/Lightweight_257_Weatherby_Mag_

Duplicate that which you need/fits your budget and omit what you don't.

What about guns?When do we get guns?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Taco280AI

I'd go 6.5CM, 23" fluted #3, McM mtn rifle Edge fill, Timney trigger. You'll be well under 8lbs scoped.

Solid advice here.^^^

*Master of random precision*
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had two 257wby rifles and never could warm up to the long barrels, as I hunt from blinds a lot. Tough to maneuver. I've grown to like a 23" on a short action or a 22" on a long action as the longest I want to put up with.

Now with even more aplomb
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by twofish

Solid advice here.^^^

I agree but would consider the hunter stock or classic because I like a little more stock for that much barrel is all.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'd build a 1-8" 22-250 on a Howa action.

Sako Hunter in Edge fill.

Talleys.

6X42 with LR reticle.

Timney trigger.

Douglas (stainless) in #2. 3/4" shank, cut to 20".

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by tarheelpwr
I agree on lead free for meat huntibg. I'm not paranoid, but I have 2 girls under 3.

Lead concerns are a fugking sham.

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by tarheelpwr

Lead concerns are a fugking sham.

Dave

That's fine ... I'm not telling you to use them. I always forget people can't have their own opinion on here.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Just trying to save you the trouble.

Dave

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I would tend to agree with you if I was the only one eating it, but my daughters are 16 mo and 2.5 yrs. That's the only reason I'd err on the side of caution.

Just one of those things I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Originally Posted by twofish

Solid advice here.^^^

I agree but would consider the hunter stock or classic because I like a little more stock for that much barrel is all.

Agreed

*Master of random precision*
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Start with a custom action from Borden or Defiance. THey are Rem 700 clones and way more gooder than buying a Rem action and having all the work done on it.

www.bordenrifles.com
www.defiancemachine.com

Buying once is one of many benefits of custom actions.

If I could go back in time, I'd have built a custom with aftermarket parts, chambered it in 308 Winchester & been happy for the rest of my hunting days.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
My first custom is basically what you described.

Remington 700 action
25" 1:10 #2 barrel
Bell and Carlson Stock
[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
These folks are hard to beat on prices, if you are looking at a blueprinted Rem 700 action.

Northwest Action Works

You will already be one step ahead of the game, and it should cut your cost a bit as well.

Last edited by slickyboyboo; 07/10/16.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I think that you would have been more satisfied in the end by simply buying one of the Rem700 CDL Stainless Fluted Limited Edition that they offered a couple years back in 257Bee.

That would have been simply and elegant with pretty much all you want in one package already.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am with Dogcatcher; Custom building a great antelope caliber to hunt in the woods doesn't make sense for me. I would choose a heavier caliber .284 to .308 and go with the WSM if you are a H.V. man as i am. The shorter action will also help keep the weight down.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very similar build here......7lbs 10oz
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

X-VERMINATOR

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
689 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 70 invisible), 2,773 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,846
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.