-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wish my local BPS stocked St. Croix well. Just a few on hand.

Hear great things on them.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by haverluk
Depends on what your are looking for but I use Lamiglas and G. Loomis rods.

Their mid to higher end rods are still made in Washington State.

When I break one... they replace or repair it at little or no cost to me. Every time!

.. So does St Croix.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 65BR
Wish my local BPS stocked St. Croix well. Just a few on hand.

Hear great things on them.

65BR, St Croix's are awesome rods. BassPro doesn't stock St Croix. Not sure why. But you can order them online through Cabelas, which is what I do. I own a few Tidemaster Saltwater Series spinning rods of varying lengths and weights, but close enough they can pull double duty, if needed.

When in buy mode, try to watch for the convergence of rebates (St Croix or Cabelas), free shipping, and Cabela's codes when you can. It'll save you a couple bucks for beer and ice money.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My local BPS has the Avid, Premier and one other in a few sizes/powers, but not a large variety.

What rods would you put on a Shimano 1000 Symetre and Ci4+ Stradic 2500:

Future plans to use a 1000 for panfish and possibly light bass

2500 more for larger fish i.e. Bass, possible Redfish/Flounder/Speckled Trout, possibly Walleye and similar.

Will likely use 6lb mono/flouro and/or 8 or 10lb braid on the 1000

The 2500 will either run 8 mono/fouro and/or around 20lb braid.

Thoughts are something around 6 - 6'8 or so in Light or possibly ML with fast tip on the 1000, and more likely ML if not Medium power fast tip for the 2500. Figure the larger fish need a harder hook set.

Thoughts/feedback by experienced Spin fisherman appreciated. Any recs on rods, and/or line appreciated. Using P-Line CX often, and have some 10# PP. Hear good things about 832 Suffix. Anyone using other P-line? Know the CXX is stiffer and likely not good for spinning.

On Rods, thoughts on the Avid and Premier line if it matters. Want lightweight and sensitive....as one might imagine which is why I am looking at St. Croix.

I did handle a Shimano Crucial Medium/Fast at BPS, felt good in hand, but all else equal, rather spend on US mfg.

Thanks in advance.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I can add my 2 cents in here.

Mostly fish for smallmouth and walleye with the spinning gear. Crappie, perch, white bass and goldeye once in a while. I would pair the 1000 size Shimanos with a St. Croix Avid AVS63MLXF or G. Loomis WJR761S for walleye jigging and smallmouth tubing. For the 2500 size, my current set-up uses a St. Croix Avid AVS70MLF. I use Fireline on all my spinning reels, 10# test in these sizes w/ 8# fluorocarbon leaders for walleye and 10# for smallmouths. You can get the rod specs. from the St. Croix and G. Loomis websites. They both make basically the same power/action rods in various materials depending on your budget. The Avid from St. Croix and GL3 from G. Loomis are both pretty good bang for your buck, with my preference being the Avid.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great info thanks much. I've thought that a 6'3 or 6'6 rod would be a great length.

As to the Flouro leader, do you use an albright knot, and any reason for the 8 vs 10? Any preference on the line or does it not make much difference given it's short? On leaders how long do you like to make them?

Appreciate the input very much. Looks like the XF is for lighter lures while the F on the larger rod matches those weight lures best. Makes sense.

Thanks again.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I like to use the lightest line I can get away with. Always used 8# w/ walleyes before the "superlines", but 10# makes me feel a little safer for bass. I use Berkley Vanish, mostly because it's cheap. A 125yd "pony" spool lasts me about 1 season. I attach the flouro leader w/ back-back uni-knots. They go through the guides well while casting. Usually starts around 4' and gets replaced after it gets down to 2'(gets shorter due to retying to clean up the last abraded parts of the line). If vertical jigging for walleyes is the only thing on the menu, the leader is only 18" or so.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I appreciate your info Sir, not used leaders but need to with Braid it seems, to maximize my strikes.

Thanks again.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by fishdog52
when graphite came on the scene 20+ years ago, virtually all blanks were made in Korea. When that plant burnt, production moved to China. About the best you can do in todays world, without spending several hundred dollars, are rods finished in the USA on Chinese blanks. Good grips and guides, important to me, are to be had. Look at Temple Forks Outfitters (TFO), Santiam, and some local craftsmen have made some rods that have proven to be good stuff. I'm sure there are several other sources if you look around.

Are any blanks still made domestically?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
My local rod builder told me that St. Croix built a plant in China to make their blanks. Still assembled here in the US. There are a few fully American companies still making rods. I believe Loomis and Phenix both make their blanks domestically. I just looked at a Denali rod (Arkansas I think) that is a domestic rod. Any custom rod maker can tell you where they are sourcing their rods. I know the guy I deal with gets his stuff from Batson.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

IC B3

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pretty sure G Loomis was bought by Shimano.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by pal

That is unfortunately correct frown

Semper Fi

B
B
Falcon makes great rods in several price ranges, from cheap to very expensive. I hold one for a living and they get the job done well.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have and use more Loomis GLX's than any other rods.

I really like them!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mmgravy
I have and use more Loomis GLX's than any other rods.

I really like them!

I understand why! smile

Shimano does a good job with G. Loomis. Haven't found anything I like better.

Last edited by BobinNH; 06/26/16.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have been using St. Croix ultra light spinning rods, their performance and quality have set a new standard for me. Last year I added my first Falcon rod, a LFS-3-166 Finesse Spin to the collection. Quality seems to be very good. I would buy another.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pal

Actually they are an excellent company. Their high end salt water reels, like Trinidad and Talica, are amazing works of art.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by pal

Actually they are an excellent company. Their high end salt water reels, like Trinidad and Talica, are amazing works of art.

They make a great reel and I use their reels exclusively. I haven't had the best of luck with their warranty department since the transition. Last August, when I called the Customer Service Department for my most recently damaged G Loomis Escape rod the called was placed to Irvine, CA. Some "bro" answered and gave me the run around about products and policies that he clearly wasn't familiar with. He insisted that I go through the store I purchased it from for any warranty claim rather than deal with Loomis or Shimano directly. Before, I could call or drive to Woodland and the problem would be fixed in a fraction of the time by local people that care.

Semper Fi

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I break a Loomis rod, I bring it to the biggest Loomis dealer in the area. They pack it, ship it,send it back to Loomis and call me when the new rod shows up.

When you cycle through a large dealer, you get more attention. Just a fact of life because they are dealing with each other daily and the leverage is in the large dollars and high volume of rods.

It does not happen often but the past two years the handle on an NRX slipped and an IMX broke. They were both replaced free of charge.

Hard to complain about that kind warranty service.

Last edited by BobinNH; 06/27/16.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
For the money, I like Scheels Outfitter Tournament and Guide Series rods. You brake one and they will trade you right over the counter for a new one. I can't feel the difference between a loomis and a Scheels rod.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

430 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 10ring1, 163bc, 34 invisible), 2,432 guests, and 1,031 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,824
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.