Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
What you can find when you wander through Bud's warehouse...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRy5z_k7tGc

How many road signs can a .375 H&H shoot through?

Last edited by OlongJohnson; 05/22/16.
BP-B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Those empties sure don't clear well.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Those empties sure don't clear well.

That's because he didn't give the rifle a slight tilt to the right as he worked the lever. I've used Ruger #1's for years on hunts and have them ranging from 22 Hornet to .416 Rigby.
Dunno if you can find it but quite a few years back I did a post on this site on speed loading the Ruger #1. Don't remember what the original subject title was the question came up on whether or not one could reload and take a second shot fast enough should it be necessary.
That tilt is so the empty will not bounce off the safety and end up back in the chamber which is what happened in the video. Some people Walther the front part of the safety but I've never bothered.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Tough to beat that as a selling point...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just what you need when them deers is hiding behind the Deer Crossing sign.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I've owned one for a few years. It used to belong to our friend, "Mule Deer" John Barsness. He took it to Africa and hammered a bunch of big game. I've only used mine on three black bear here in Washington State.

Oh, and an unfortunate rockchuck that showed itself on the range one day...

Love the rifle! I don't think the recoil is bad at all. Heck, I shoot it prone, sitting and standing at 300 yards, and do pretty well ringing the gong.

Yup, I surely do like the Ruger Number One in .375 H&H!

Regards, Guy

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Just what everyone needs, a single shot rifle in a dangerous game caliber. At least double rifles shoot twice.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Borchardt
Just what everyone needs, a single shot rifle in a dangerous game caliber. At least double rifles shoot twice.

And a double will cost about 10x as much. Besides hunting, big guns can be just a lot of fun to shoot.

Single shots are a different mindset. I also ride a motorcycle without a helmet. Not for everybody,.... I dont recommend it either. I am just saying we are not all cut from the same cloth.

Hunting CAN BE more than just dead animals and riding can be more than point A to point B.

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
How many double rifles do you own?
Ever hear of a Farquharson rifle or even a Hawkin?

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by fourbore

And a double will cost about 10x as much. Besides hunting, big guns can be just a lot of fun to shoot.

Single shots are a different mindset. I also ride a motorcycle without a helmet. Not for everybody,.... I dont recommend it either. I am just saying we are not all cut from the same cloth.

Hunting CAN BE more than just dead animals and riding can be more than point A to point B.

Hunting, by it's very definition, is killing animals.

IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by ireload2
How many double rifles do you own?
Ever hear of a Farquharson rifle or even a Hawkin?

If you're going carry more than 1 round of ammo into the field it might as well be in a magazine.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A practiced hand with a single shot equipped with a ejector can probably keep up with the average goober with a bolt gun. Most shooters lower bolt actions at least part-way when racking the bolt.

I recently read about a PH school in Africa that keeps a Number One on hand for the students that fail the shooting test because they can't run a bolt rifle properly. The same students often pass with the single.

Phil Shoemaker, who knows a thing or two about stuff that bites (and shoots) back carries a nice customized Ruger quite a bit. He also has at least one double.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GuyM
I've owned one for a few years. It used to belong to our friend, "Mule Deer" John Barsness. He took it to Africa and hammered a bunch of big game. I've only used mine on three black bear here in Washington State.

Oh, and an unfortunate rockchuck that showed itself on the range one day...

Love the rifle! I don't think the recoil is bad at all. Heck, I shoot it prone, sitting and standing at 300 yards, and do pretty well ringing the gong.

Yup, I surely do like the Ruger Number One in .375 H&H!

Regards, Guy

I really like my 375 #1 as well, (and I had just as much fun watching my 15-year-old sling lead with it this summer!) The #1 is very well balanced as a bare rifle IMO and is more pleasant to shoot than either the M70 or the M77 I have in the caliber. It's also considerably friendlier than either the lighter 9.3 or 45-70 #1-S versions. And I have had no trouble killing bears or moose with those, nor have quick follow-ups been an issue. Setting the tension on the ejector correctly is a very simple way to take care of whatever ejector issues one might worry about, and of course familiarity with the rifle (practice) doesn't hurt either.

[Linked Image] (9.3)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

[Linked Image]

This picture is worth 1000 words. Excellent!

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I have a 375 and a 45/70 no 1. They both balance extremely well. My 375 has a trigger that rivals any rifle ive shot and will make pretty cloverleafs at 100yds all day long. Honestly the 375 recoils a gid bit less than the 45/70, but the 45/70 carries better. Id love to have a stainless 375 H&H with the 1s barrel profile and length with a 1-5 leupy on top. Be pretty much the ultimate bulletproof rifle for anything that walks. Mine are too pretty to beat up, but they still see some action in the woods.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That swinging hammer has worked flawlessly in the deep cold too, something a bolt gun design needs more attention with.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Phoneman
[Linked Image]

Nice .45/70.

Where'd ya get it? grin

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a red pad .375 with a great piece of burl walnut on it. Now if I can just figure out how to get the salt out of the wood... blush

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Klick - seeing the photo of your sons, the grizzly, and the Ruger always brings a smile to my face. OUTSTANDING!

Guy

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
692 members (10Glocks, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 16penny, 73 invisible), 2,768 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,627
Posts18,398,735
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.