Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I have always spent 21-28 days in Africa to maximize the experience but also the amount of time on a plane is a beating to me. Now I am rethinking my stance on this and wonder if others are doing it as well? I like to hunt buffalo and with kids in collage and my hectic work world I cannot get awhile for a normal for me safari any time soon. I like Africa and if I could only hunt one animal in Africa it would be buffalo. I am contemplating a 5 day buffalo hunt and I admit that getting away from work for a week to go to Africa again and hunt buffalo excites me more than I would have thought.
I am the only crazy one to think about taking advantage of opportunities to do this now?
For me getting to go to Africa for a week is an option I will consider over waiting another 3 years and hope things in Africa are where I can go do a normal hunt then.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I never pass an opportunity to go.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Compromise and make it seven days. Try to schedule your trip over a holiday like July 4th or Labor day. That way it's only one extra day away from the office. If all you can do is five days do it. Five days in Africa certainly beats five days at work.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You only live once....go

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I've done trips as short as 6 hunting days and as long as 21 hunting days.

For me, unless it is a specialized hunt, 9 days seems to be the best for me from my experience.

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Just because of travel time and jet lag, my preference would be to hunt for a week with the weekend before and after for travel.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
With hundreds of clients over the last 20 plus years, I have a pretty strong opinion on this. It comes from watching the struggle of the hunters that come for 5-7 days.

You're typically going to need 2 days to acclimate to the time change 100% ..... well maybe 80%!
Many guys travel the two days here, (6-9 hours lost in time change depending upon east or west coast departure). Then arrive with the urge to sleep during the day and be awake at night. Napping in the afternoon the first couple days is a bad idea, just prolongs the sleepless nights!

Ive watched them struggle with this for a couple days, now they are on day 4-5 of the trip. By Day 6-7 they are energetic and happy ready to rock and roll. But on the 7 day hunt they are leaving two days after that. They hunted 5 days and were 100% conscious for maybe 3 of them!

I've found that ten days of hunting, with 3 days of travel ( you make up the time going back to the states that you lost coming the South Africa. So it's a 2 day trip approx getting here and only one day approx going back.

With this schedule in mind you have a whole day when you return to the states to get your things together before your work commences. The time change when you're back in the states is an easy transition. Travel going west is always easier on the body then travel going east. Gaining those hours is much easier then losing them.

So when I try to work out the plans for a fellas trip, this is what we work towards. 2 weeks off from work, 10 days of hunting and three days of travel. If this cannot be managed then as close as you can get to this schedule the better off you will be.

Now with all this said, if you could only hunt for 5 days, or not go at all...... I would still opt for the 5 days! Speak with your family physician and he will supply with with the prescription for Ambien. This is the magic drug that will erase your time change jet lag problems. It will let you sleep better on the flight, and usually ( for most folks) gets you to sleep 7-8 hours your first night in Africa. Without this many of the visitors toss and turn the first couple nights not having proper sleep. This becomes an issue when trying to hunt hard during day.

When you sleep through the night the first night your hunting improves by 100% that first day, by the second day it's as if there was no time change at all. The time change is different for everyone. Many people struggle with it a lot. Some never seem to take notice. Most have never experienced a 9 hour time change from one day to the next. It if often a crippling situation for people to stay focused.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
You're typically going to need 2 days to acclimate to the time change 100% ..... well maybe 80%!
Many guys travel the two days here, (6-9 hours lost in time change depending upon east or west coast departure). Then arrive with the urge to sleep during the day and be awake at night. Napping in the afternoon the first couple days is a bad idea, just prolongs the sleepless nights!

Ive watched them struggle with this for a couple days, now they are on day 4-5 of the trip. By Day 6-7 they are energetic and happy ready to rock and roll. But on the 7 day hunt they are leaving two days after that. They hunted 5 days and were 100% conscious for maybe 3 of them!

Very wise words. And to add to that there is the additional pressure to shoot a buffalo early, it takes me a couple of days and stalks to really learn the PH (and vice versa), and everything would be rushed in general, all of which distract from the experience. For me hunting is far more than shooting an animal, especially in Africa. Figure out a way to hunt at least 7 or 8 days with an extra day or so in town prior to the hunt.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would much rather do frequent sprints than occasional marathons.

That 5 day buffalo hunt is an attractive diversion! laugh

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
A 31 day hunt for leopard, cape buff and ALL manor of available plains game, coupled with Wifeys chartered shopping trips to and fro would be heaven and hell all on the same wonderfully exhausting trip.smile

Trump Won!
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
JJ hit the nail on the head, at least for most of us. I generally prefer 14 days, as by that time I've had plenty of fun and am starting to get just enough homesick not to regret heading back.

I've done safaris ranging from 7 days to a month, and prefer something in the 2-week range. My first was one of the 7-day trips, and while it worked out OK, as Jim said, I wasn't really right until a couple days in, even after spending the night in Joburg on arrival. Did another 7-day safari for bird-shooting in 2013, which was also OK.

A month was fun, but too long for me. This was before cell phones could be used to call the U.S., but I was e-mailing my wife every day or two, and she's used to me being gone for a while now and then. However, one of the other guys had rented a satellite phone, and kept insisting I use it to phone home. About halfway through the month I caved. When she answered I said, "This is your husband." She immediately yelped, "WHAT'S WRONG!?" Had to talk for several minutes just for her to calm down. Haven't made that mistake again.

Did try a 5-day safari once, a cull hunt in South Africa. My companions and I arrived in Joburg, then almost immediately flew to Kimberley, where the PH's picked us up and drove three hours to the lodge. Got in close to midnight, dragging severely, and got a good night's sleep even though it was the "wrong" time, and wasn't too lagged the next day.

But during the 5 days the head PH (who owned the company) and I hit it off so well he invited me to stay for another week at his home, 200 miles away, and do some more hunting around there. He'd just started operating in South Africa after spending his life in Zimbabwe, and didn't have anything else scheduled. I e-mail my wife and tell her not to expect me for another week. She was fine with it, especially since I didn't phone.

I'm one of those lucky people who sleeps easily on planes, and in fact am often snoring even before take-off here in Montana. But my wife isn't, and the Ambien Jim suggested works very well for her.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I like 12-14 days like these other guys...
JBs story reminded me of a trip I took ti Zim in 2000. No cell phones, no SAT phones, no computer...but there was a FAX machine. Got into a prolonged dust-up with a leopard on day one...and I just KNEW the story would work its way home before I did ( 17 days later) so I FAXed my wife and told her, regardless of what you may hear, no one got hurt.
Sure enough the story got home better than a week before me, and it had lost nothing in the telling!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
flying to AK is not nearly as bad as Africa

We do it every fall.

There is no way we'd not go for a full two weeks(all the vacation we are allowed)

The only way, is if it was an emergency run for something other than pleasure.

Pleasure vs the plane ride etc.... calls for two weeks.

There isn't a way I'd fly there for a 5 day hunt and turn around unless there was a really valid reason.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I was just wondering if any one was as crazy as me for considering this. I understand the ramifications as I have been there multiple times. It's an old friend that I would love to make a couple of stalks on some buffalo with him while time allows. I would have to wait at least 3 years to do a proper safari and by then as all things Africa goes the situation may not allow for us to do that safari together. Like I said I would have never considered it before but getting away for a few days could be a nice but tiring break. I would probably arrive a couple of days early and stay a day or two after but in the end I am basically doing a 5 day hunt. I have never had an issue with finding a buffalo if I need to shoot one so I'm not worried if I get one or not. The excuse to drag a double around for a week instead of working appeals to me right now. I guess my real world has gotten too far out on the edge for me to consider a break like this to get away from it.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Well, if you are going early and staying late, its not a 5 day flip.

But there are still reasons I'd hop a plane to AK in an instant, if I had enough vacation, to help a friend on a short hunt!

Life is short, you have to decide, but in general I try not to do short ones when travel takes time... a day to fly to AK more or less by the time we are done, another day to drive to where we are going, and then recover...
I remember falling asleep in a tent in the afternoon, once.. after a long flight and a long drive. Was going to rest.. but was told moose are all around camp, GO... I did.. got camp set up, it drizzled around 3pm... I woke up before daylight the next morning.

Gotta get enough rest at our age. LOL. And I shoudl say that I generally take something to make me sleep when we board the plane both times... so that I'm sleeping most of the way...if not, leg cramps get me.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Jim, that is excellent advice. I did that, more or less, on my 2015 safari. Ten days, with Ambien on the plane over and back, 13 days total.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I'd do it. I'll sleep when I get home.

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then think that half of the people are stupider than that" - George Carlin

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 66 invisible), 2,469 guests, and 1,149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,543
Posts18,453,223
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.