Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
None were as good as the Nosler Partition.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
None were as good as the Nosler Partition.

And that's the absolute truth.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
"Of course, I live maybe a dozen miles from the Montana ranch where started hunting in the West, know exactly where it was, and have taken plenty of game in the area."

Mule Deer:

I know you live not far from Elmer's old ranch in Winston, but have you ever hunted much around Ovando? I'm re-reading "Hell, I Was There" for about the 100th time and got curious about Ovando, and Wolf Creek and such places where a young Elmer packed for government survey crews and hunted elk.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Have fished far more around Ovando than hunted, including a couple of streams Elmer fished, but back in the mid-80's a couple friends and I did a drop-camp deal in the mountains north of Ovando during the early "backcountry" season, starting on September 15th. A local outfitter packed us in about 15 miles, and we spent a week in a couple of his wall tents.

We didn't kill any big game--turned out there wasn't much in that country at that time of year, and it got worse a few days into the trip when the nice weather changed drastically, and we ended up hunting in snow almost up to our knees. Luckily we had all brought the right clothing, but no elk or deer were stupid enough to be up there! Did get some nice photos that looked like we were hunting in the general season of November, and in fact one is on the cover of my book BORN TO HUNT.

the camp was right on the border of the early backcountry season and the "regular" Montana bow season, so I also brought along a bow and killed a few blue grouse with it the first day of the hunt, which was fun and improved our diet. We also caught some trout in a nearby lake, and during one of my longer hikes out of camp, desperately looking for elk, was on a trail with fresh grizzly tracks, and wolverine tracks on top of them! One of my buddies and I also got caught in a thunderstorm during the blizzard, while crossing the ridge into camp. So it was an interesting trip, to say the least.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
No Peter Crapstick? grin

Last edited by cdb; 06/07/16.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For me it was Ross Seyfried.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by cdb
No Peter Crapstick? grin

Oh, come on ? grin
It's 'Chapstick. ! whistle

Since I'm not a G W I haven't answered the OP.
Per cdb - Capstick was/is entertaining and IMO not so instructional.

However--I think he's right about NOT spearing a C Buffalo. laugh

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Not a gun writer but one from the "industry", one of the writers mentioned was quite iritating to be around and to hunt with. I've not read much of his writing due to his nasty reputation.
Chapstick's "Death in the tall grass" put African hunting in my "bucket".

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
This was a great read.. I really enjoy hearing all these opinions.. While I am not a writer, I liked O'Connor as a kid, but as I got older Elmer and Bob Hagel were my favorites. Met Elmer a couple times, and Bob once.. Elmer was easy to visit with.. While Bob was very friendly but not much on conversation..

moosemike, I think the great difference in Jack's success with the older bullets and Elmer's was the game they were after.. Jack seemed to hunt often with guides, and in more open country.. Bullet placement was easier.. Read some of Elmer's stuff and he was concerned a great deal with elk in heavy timber..While Elmer took many fine trophies, he was a meat hunter.. He depended on that especially in the early years to balance the budget!! He wanted success at any angle..

I have one of Elmer's books from the 50's or 60's.. In it he favored big bores, but he was not so dogmatic about it as in his later work.. I think his feud with Jack had more to do with hating the .270 than the caliber itself..
I liked Elmer's life style, although I would not have wanted to endure the hardship he did.. Not only that, but he was a deadly shot with rifle, sixgun, and shotgun.. Something very few of us every achieve..

As far has his typing, he never corrected, he only typed.. I think he replied often to 150 letters per months.. I have some of his letters. I must put these with his books.. I also have a book with letters Elmer wrote over the span of his life.. There is one handwritten one and the spelling is almost perfect, if it isn't perfect.. I think his skill with the typewriter was much of the problem..

This as mentioned was a great read and very informative..Thanks..

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I have some of his letters. I must put these with his books.. I also have a book with letters Elmer wrote over the span of his life.. There is one handwritten one and the spelling is almost perfect, if it isn't perfect.. I think his skill with the typewriter was much of the problem..

Cherish them! What a treasure!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
652 members (1234, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 71 invisible), 2,951 guests, and 1,386 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,658
Posts18,399,290
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.