Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Recon Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Thought you all might like to see this and perhaps give some feedback on my channel. Thanks everyone.

Last edited by Recon; 06/16/16.
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Wow. Not a shot I'd have taken at all, if you wanted comments. LOL.

Great video clip though.

I"ve seen a few come flying in like that, all young small bulls. But it was very rare the years we bowhunted, to see that. I never shot one, as I never got what I wanted for a shot, but my buddy did a few times.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by rost495
Wow. Not a shot I'd have taken at all, if you wanted comments.

Did you see the part where he said he was off to the right of the camera?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yes. I also saw a really hard raking shot that seemed to get about only half the arrow in there.

Obviously I may owe him an apology, but it sure didn't look like good penetration at all to me.

But then I pretty much shoot arrows heavy enough to expect the arrow to go away and through when I shoot.

But maybe it hit the off side shoulder.

Its the one thing I never liked about archery elk, you often had minor time to make a major decision and shoot if they were coming to a call.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
great video.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
IC B2

R
Recon Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Hey thanks guys. It was a tough choice to make in the moment when you see this nice 5x5 bull coming in to your calls. You saw the stand-off in the video. I was draw back about 30 seconds total.

It's 20 seconds from when he jumps back a little to when I shoot. Those 20 seconds were filled with a lot of thoughts and emotions. I waited and waited, hoping he would move into a little better position. Then my buddy says "shoot Mark" and I think that must have put me over the top to let it fly. I appreciate the feedback from everyone. I just thought it was a video that many would like to see.

Should have kept my monologue at the beginning to about 60 seconds. Oops. Less almost always seems to be more. Anyway, thanks for watching.

Mark

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Recon - the video is good. Never a bad thing to see a bull fired up and coming in.

Most of us hate to make arm-chair QB calls on these, it's too easy to slam down on a situation that we can't see but a micro- piece of.

Two things pop out to me:

First, your camera man appears to be fighting the camera set up, the frame keeps drifting right and he's continuously fighting to keep it on the animal. It looks like the movement is what caused the bull to alert, stop, and spin.

Second, If the animal was 20 yards away, and you are 10 or less yards to the right, you shot angle was in the nieghborhood of 30 degrees or less into ribs. Looks like the bull was pretty much butt on to the camera. A 30 degree shot on a large animal rib cage is tough shot for any archer.

I'm guessing this was your potential first bow kill of a big game animal, and that's working against you as well in having to make a snap decision. I've made bad shots as a new archer that I wish I could have back. But, you learn from each encounter, build your experience, and learn the tactical patience will will get you a clean shot to a quick kill.

I think your broad head choice is fine, draw poundage is good. I shoot a Slick Trick is a similar design and size, my buddy shoots Montec G-5s with no issues. You don't mention the weight of your arrows, most will argue that heavier is better.

Sorry you lost the animal, that's a sick feeling no matter what. But, good on you for the courage for posting and seeking feedback.

Last edited by AH64guy; 06/16/16.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yes. I also saw a really hard raking shot that seemed to get about only half the arrow in there.

Obviously I may owe him an apology, but it sure didn't look like good penetration at all to me.

But then I pretty much shoot arrows heavy enough to expect the arrow to go away and through when I shoot.

Its the one thing I never liked about archery elk, you often had minor time to make a major decision and shoot if they were coming to a call.

You sound very experienced, have you arrowed a lot of elk?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Did you recover the bull??

If so, pics man, pics!!

Last edited by 300MAG; 06/16/16.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'd of taken the shot.

Learn from it and hunt on.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by smokepole

You sound very experienced, have you arrowed a lot of elk?

]
Can't read very well today?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I can read fine. Arrowed a lot of elk then?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Then you know the answer. I can tell that this won't go well for whatever reason.

Never mind knowledge of archery and a few archery kills under my belt.

At least we have yet again another lottery winner today.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Then you know the answer. I can tell that this won't go well for whatever reason.

Why would you say that, it's going fine. The OP asked for feedback and got it. Everyone's entitled to an opinion, and he asked for them.

Personally, I couldn't see enough in the video to comment on the shot choice. Not being there and all. So if I was the OP and read your post questioning the shot choice I'd want to know your level of experience with the subject at hand.

If it's substantial I'd want to know that.

If it's zero, I'd want to know that too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
smokepole,

So if I was the OP and read your post questioning the shot choice I'd want to know your level of experience with the subject at hand.

Since you're not the OP why did you ask, then?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Since you're not the OP, why do you care?

I asked because the OP is new here, seems like a straight-up guy, and deserves to know the level of experience of someone who questions his judgment.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

A couple things:

I don't know the angle you shot from, but it does look too shallow from the rear, but if the angle was better than the video shows, I would have expected a better outcome.

I wouldn't show that video to the public for the reasons you mention. No one wants to witness a lost bull elk, it does happen, but critics are always above doing that...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
smokepole,

I asked because the OP is new here, seems like a straight-up guy, and deserves to know the level of experience of someone who questions his judgment.

He signed up and posted without your help. Do you think he is incompetent to do a followup if he wanted?

Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
No, I think he's a new guy I chose to help out by bringing to light the fact that the guy who questioned his judgement has never shot an elk.

Does that offend or otherwise concern you?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I answer you will not shut up.

Everyday Hunter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

669 members (160user, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1973cb450, 68 invisible), 2,959 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,263
Posts18,467,148
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.