Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Does anyone have the Lyman Mag 25 furnace and if so how you like it.

My old Lyman furnace purchased in 1971 gave up two years ago. I purchased a Mag 20 and it has not performed well, freezing spout, poor temp control, real pain in the butt.

I'm considering a Mag 25 but have not been able to find much feedback.

Thank, AJ

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I had a similar experience AJ. The issues you are having with the Lyman Mag 20 are the same ones I had. I never had any problems with my old Lyman 10 pound pot, so I was surprised.

I solved the problem by going to a 20 pound RCBS Pro Melt stainless steel lined pot. After I used it about 15 years, the thermostat went out. I sent it to RCBS and it came back good as new. But I STILL LIKE the Lyman mold guide better.

I have not used the Lyman Mag 25, so I don't know how it works. All the best.

Despite what your momma told you, violence does solve problems.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Spout freeze on the Mag 20 is common. Go with the RCBS, you won't be sorry.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have the Lyman Mag 25 - I'd say good enough when bought right - there have been concerns about the electronics over heating especially on heat soak after shut off with a full pot of hot lead. I haven't had any such problems and maybe like a lot of off-shore products QA is left for the customer? At the same price I would have bought the RCBS. On sale the Lyman is a bargain in the field.

Depending on the molds used, all the more with hollow point plugs and the rest it may be necessary to modify the mold guide.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am kicking this one back to the top to see if we can get a little more feedback.

I had a small cast bullet business about thirty years ago and used two Lyman Mag 20's with no problems while casting maybe around a million bullets. I eventually sold my business, and the furnaces were still going strong. I am reading here and elsewhere that a lot of folks were not as lucky as I was pertaining to the serviceability of the Mag 20, now replaced by the Mag 25.

I am about to invest in another furnace and it pretty well comes down to the Mag 25 and the RCBS Pro-Melt. I know that Creeker prefers the Pro-Melt, but I am interested in why? My experience with the Lyman furnace was good but I don't want to buy a potential problem. On the other hand, the Pro-Melt costs about $120.00 more than the Mag 25 in real world money. Is it worth the difference? And why?

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i've had the lyman mag. 25 for quite awhile has always worked perfectly.

Ed

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I don't use the Lyman furnace, but have noticed quality of pretty much everything else they make has really gone downhill lately (maybe the past 10 years or so?). I'd be surprised if their furnaces were not included in that. Quality of their bullet molds has gotten especially spotty.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bought one a couple months ago to replace a lee 10 Lb. pot. Only poured 500 or so bullets so far but it worked fine. I do need to modify the guide to fit my NOE mold.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I know that Creeker prefers the Pro-Melt, but I am interested in why?

Once upon a time I did a poll of my customers, many of who cast, & asked them which furnace used. I also asked on various forums. The RCBS was preferred by far over the Lyman. The foremost complaint with the Lyman was spout freeze. It's my understand this problem was addressed.

And to my friend in Western Kentucky I wouldn't discourage you from purchasing a Lyman as my poll is old enough [mostly 2003-2007] it may not be relevant. And for truth in advertising I've owned neither. My first pot was a 10 pound Saeco/Redding & my present pot is a 40 pound Magma.

If you chose the Lyman please give us a full report. Being you once operated cast bullet business & know of what you speak your opinion would carry a lot of weight.

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Bought the Lyman Mag 25 a couple months ago to replace my old Lee 10# pot. Has been great with zero problems.

Don

NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for your reply, Creeker. My use with the new furnace will be to cast maybe 30,000 bullets a year at the most. Due to my age (73) I may not have to worry about wearing out either the Pro-Melt or the Mag 25, but trouble free would be nice. Also, due to a fixed income, price is also important. I think I am going to try the Lyman for that reason as well as a few other features. I will definitely report back after use.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks Doug.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just got the new Mag 25 furnace from Lyman. I have spent the last two days melting pure lead (about 125 lbs.) and pouring into ingot molds. Gonna alloy with some tin and Rotometal's Super Hard added (as per USSR1991's suggestion. Then I'll cast a couple of thousand 250 grainers out of the new furnace. I'll give a little feedback afterwards.

Doug

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

631 members (06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1936M71, 64 invisible), 3,249 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,591
Posts18,454,313
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.