Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#11252775 06/16/16
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Has the 300WSM become popular enough that ammunition is expected to be found most places? In other words, is this a travel rifle chambering "guranteed" to find ammunition on the shelf if your ammunition goes missing?

David

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sounds like you better take your 30-06...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

wink

David

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

And put a box of WSM in different bags so at least some makes the trip.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by jwall

Jerry

Hmmm

This is starting to sound like a "no".

David

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Jerry

Just for clarity. I would have no idea about 300 WSM am availability because I don't have one therefore I don't look for the ammo.

I was making a suggestion for alternatives.
Good luck.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C

Jerry

Just for clarity. I would have no idea about 300 WSM am availability because I don't have one therefore I don't look for the ammo.

I was making a suggestion for alternatives.
Good luck.

Jerry

Jerry,

I don't have one either. I have a few big game rifles that I am very happy with, the closest to a standard chambering is my 6.5 CM. I've done some nice travel hunts in the past, mostly driven (as opposed to flying), never had a problem.

In the next few years, if the creek don't rise.... , these kids will be out of school and I might be able to do a little more travel hunt wise. My oddball chamberings will be making the trip, but it occurred to me a back-up rifle in something common makes a lot of sense. 30-06 seemed like the first choice, but I have a wandering eye.

I might want to shoot a Nilgai at some point,,,

David

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wouldn't say there's any guarantee of finding 300 WSM on the shelves but a lot of that probably depends on location. I've had a 300 WSM since 2004 which pretty much sees nothing but handloads. I see factory ammo around but the availability is nowhere near that of the old standbys of 30-06, 270, 243, etc.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I wouldn't count on finding ammo out there at all.

I bought a 300 wsm rifle hoping it wouldn't be a big issue to find ammo. I'm realize it's way more hassle than I want to deal with. Maybe you can find some ammo but when you do will it be worth the premium some places put on it. When I found some ammo it wasn't worth the price since I just wanted to sight the rifle in. I did find some ammo for a decent price online but it was a sale on top of a discount. I doubt I'd see that regular. In fact most of the ammo I found on line was more expensive than similar calibers and shipping sent it way over the top. Especially when have the convenience of finding the other calibers locally on a more regular basis.

I'd rather do 300 wm, 30-06, or 308. In fact the only reason I still own the 300 wsm rifle is because I haven't decided what to get next.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
no problem finding WSM ammo in these parts....many farm supply stores got it on the shelf.....

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
308 Win is the go for all round availability here, as far as big game cartridges go.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Not exactly an answer to your question, but if you fly Delta in the U.S. your ammo can go in your gun case, unless that policy has changed since November. I think I checked a few other domestic carriers and same same. I've never flown a gun overseas so can't help you there... pretty sure most of Africa they have to be separated though.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by sdgunslinger
no problem finding WSM ammo in these parts....many farm supply stores got it on the shelf.....

Yup, see it everywhere around here. WalMart carries it regularly too.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Plenty of powder, bullets and primers around here.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by lazi

I bought a 300 wsm rifle hoping it wouldn't be a big issue to find ammo. I'm realize it's way more hassle than I want to deal with. Maybe you can find some ammo but when you do will it be worth the premium some places put on it. When I found some ammo it wasn't worth the price since I just wanted to sight the rifle in. I did find some ammo for a decent price online but it was a sale on top of a discount. I doubt I'd see that regular. In fact most of the ammo I found on line was more expensive than similar calibers and shipping sent it way over the top. Especially when have the convenience of finding the other calibers locally on a more regular basis.

I'd rather do 300 wm, 30-06, or 308. In fact the only reason I still own the 300 wsm rifle is because I haven't decided what to get next.

You make some good points. I don't know the countless number of $60.00/box of 300 WSM ammo my buddy has burned up trying to get his EW to shoot, but it's been many (he's burned up 10 boxes at least). It's times like that, that I'm thankful I load my own. I'd hate to discourage anyone from buying a good rifle. I've had 2 excellent 300 wsm rifles and love the cartridge, just don't like some of the quirks that go along with rifle/cartridge combination. I think a lot of us have tried them, and then went back to the old tried and trusted 30-06 after we've had our fill...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by lazi

You make some good points. I don't know the countless number of $60.00/box of 300 WSM ammo my buddy has burned up trying to get his EW to shoot, but it's been many (he's burned up 10 boxes at least).

MidwayUSA shows over a dozen 300 WSM loadings for under $40/box. I've not shot a 300 WSM yet, but my 7mm WSM worked well with the Federal Fusion loads in that category - they were very accurate, and the brass is pretty good.

It's times like that, that I'm thankful I load my own.

That is an improvement!

I'd hate to discourage anyone from buying a good rifle. I've had 2 excellent 300 wsm rifles and love the cartridge, just don't like some of the quirks that go along with rifle/cartridge combination. I think a lot of us have tried them, and then went back to the old tried and trusted 30-06 after we've had our fill...

It's tough to beat the 30-06, but the 300 WSM is good too and seems to have a large following. Plus you can get a little bit lighter and handier rifle...

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
At one time it was questionable. But in recent years I've not seen any store that carried 300 WM that didn't carry 300WSM also. It may be a regional thing. But 308, and especially 30-06 are going to always be easier to find, cheaper and with more options. I don't think there is any danger of the round becoming obsolete. It is too popular for that. But since I hand load it is all pretty much even for me.

I have a 300 WSM. I really don't need it, I find my 308 does at least 95% of what I need a rifle to do. But I just like that rifle and have come to respect the round.

The problem is that very few rifles are being made to best utilize the rounds advantages. Depending on bullet weight you can get 200-400 fps more speed than 30-06 and come within 50-100 fps of 300WM. But with recoil that almost exactly splits the difference. You can put together a 7-7.5 lb 300 WSM that won't beat you up too bad. A 300 WM much under 8.5 lbs is starting to get my attention when I pull the trigger.

But no one other than Kimber is building 300WSM's any lighter than a typical 300WM. And you have to ask,do I really need the extra 200-400 fps?

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
There are plenty of places here in Colorado that stock 300 WSM. Sportsman's Warehouse has several brands and bullets weights on the shelf as well as Wal Mart.

I am just back from Craig Colorado scouting my elk tag area and all the stores I visited there have tons of 300 WSM on the shelf.

I purchased an FN PBR back in 05 from CDNN as a barreled action in 300 WSM and stocked it with a McMillan Model 70 Super Grade style. Rifle shoots like a dream and I have fired many rounds through it. I see not problems with the cartridge.

I don't see any problems finding the ammo anywhere you choose to hunt.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
When I travel around the country, I see it quite often..

Molon Labe
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Seems to be plenty of 300 WSM around.

If you want a slam dunk getting ammo anywhere get a 30/06.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

141 members (257 mag, 163bc, 007FJ, 44mc, 10Glocks, 14 invisible), 1,683 guests, and 888 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,236
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.