Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I am in receipt of several packages of elk backstrap grin

would welcome some of you elk-experienced experts to share your fav recipes.

The meat is very thinly sliced. TIA!

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thinly sliced?! Blasphemy! grin

Elk backstrap is so good, you don't generally have to do much prep with it to turn out a delicious piece of meat. All you need is a 1-1.5" thick piece, sprinkle some dry rub on it and let it sit 20 minutes, and then toss it on the grill. Don't cook beyond rare to medium-rare at the most.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Love a big thick grilled fillet extra rare. Thin sliced I might try making Fajitas or a Wiener Schnitzel. Either way don't over cook or you will regret it. If it is too thin to grill there is always chicken frying it.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

Elk backstrap is so good, you don't generally have to do much prep with it to turn out a delicious piece of meat. All you need is a 1-1.5" thick piece, sprinkle some dry rub on it and let it sit 20 minutes, and then toss it on the grill. Don't cook beyond rare to medium-rare at the most.
+1Tough to mess it up if you grill it.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Bingo!

Sometimes, we also marinate for an hour or so in lite Soy sauce, then grill to rare-medium rare, and serve with a dash of Worcestershire once on the table. It's really hard to screw up backstrap, unless you overcook it.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There is always confusion as to what "blackstrap" really is. Is it the tenderloin or the chops from the top of back. You would never slice up a tenderloin...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Elk tenderloins done right...

[Linked Image]

Last edited by shrapnel; 06/17/16.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One of my kids fav's- bacon-wrapped elk Mac'n'Cheese smile

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Light salt and pepper, ground sage, greek seasoning, spritz with olive oil .Cook on a grill on low.I like mind with just a tinge of pink

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
My friend from South Texas. You are , in my opinion, in possession of some of the finest wild game know to man. About the only way you can screw this up is over cooking. Keep it simple and serve with a bottle of dry red if that's your style.
Enjoy!

John

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Fire up the grill, season the steak about any way you like but go easy on the salt. Salt will make meat toughen up. Show the fire to the steak. DON'T put the steak on the fire.
It's done!
Enjoy!

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Gentlemen: thanks much for your input.

My favorite way for whitetail backstrap has always been chicken fried, with lots of cream gravy.

In this case, sounds like I need to break out the grill and proceed gently!

Should make for a happy Fathers Day! wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Don't just grill it, smoker grill it, you won't be sorry...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
shrap: sounds like a plan...and you may be right about it not being backstrap.

Just cause it's got a sticker on the package that says elk backstrap...who knows what lurks inside! smile

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Dang, that looks good! Was raised on the stuff, but dipped in flour and fried hot and fast. 'Cept for THIN T-bones broiled with garlic salt, that was the only way I recall ever seeing it until doing my own thing... Mouth watering - drooling as I type...

One of my kids fav's- bacon-wrapped elk Mac'n'Cheese smile

[Linked Image]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shrapnel
There is always confusion as to what "blackstrap" really is. Is it the tenderloin or the chops from the top of back. You would never slice up a tenderloin...

"Blackstrap", I believe, is molasses.😛

No elk hereabouts, at least not anymore, but lots of people use the word tenderloin to describe what's really the loin of deer. It's sacrilege, but a fair number don't even know about the real tenderloin, and many that do call it the "fish" for some reason. Those misguided people that take their deer to commercial processors stand a good chance of losing that best part to pilferage or burger.

That dinner you pictured in your second post appears to be pretty much perfect, except there's not quite enough elk on the plate!

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by southtexas

My favorite way for whitetail backstrap has always been chicken fried, with lots of cream gravy.

Thats just molesting good meat! shocked

Shrap has the right idea..

I'll often inject it with Teriyaki, cook it on the grill, then slice it into serving portions like Shrap. Medium rare, of course! Works on deer or elk, and sprinkling the outside with Montreal steak Seasoning doesn't hurt either! grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Grind together 1 and 1/3 TBSP dried juniper berries, 2 tsp black peppercorns, 1 tsp Herbes de Provence, 2 tsp kosher salt. Rub on the elk steak. Let the steak sit on the counter for a least half an hour before you cook it so it comes to room temp. I use a charcoal grill, so I do this while the charcoal is heating up.

Cook to rare or medium rare, but no more. Somewhere around 125 to 135 on a meat thermometer. Bring the meat in and let it sit on the counter for 5-10 more minutes if you can stand it.

Eat with blackberries as a side dish. You may want to stir the blackberries with a little sugar first if they aren't sweet enough.

This is my favorite way to cook elk. It's taken mostly from "Commander's Wild Side", a cookbook featuring game recipes from Commander's Palace in New Orleans.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
A good marinade is 1 cup olive oil, 1/3 cup each of lemon juice and soy sauce, and about a teaspoon each of black pepper, garlic powder, and celery seeds (whole not ground).

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Salt Pepper Knife Fork

Knife and fork optional.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

316 members (300_savage, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 32 invisible), 2,427 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,452
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.