Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by wareagle700
Originally Posted by reelman
With all the different height one piece mounts available why go with a rise and rings? All I see that doing is adding one more joint to possible loosen.

That would make it too easy.

this was pretty tough to arrange and will probably fall off...but i'll deal with it to get ER and ring spacing latitude.

[Linked Image]

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Unless you swap optics between AR's and bolt guns, the picatinny rail that's on your upper receiver is the only base you need, just get the correct mount.

What rings give you enough forward placement of the scope to get proper eye relief on an AR?

Mine sit at least 1 3/4" - 2" ahead of the charging handle.

Last edited by BarryC; 06/19/16.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by rost495
With all the different height one piece mounts available why go with a rise and rings? All I see that doing is adding one more joint to possible loosen.

Hmm, most bolt guns. Reciever. Bolted down base. Rings bolted to base.

ARs Reciever. Riser bolted to base. Rings bolted to riser.

Somehow it works on bolt guns mostly.

YEs it does work and it will work with the AR's also but there is always a chance of it loosening and with the quality selection of AR mounts I just don't see the need. I like the concept of Ruger and Sako bases made right into the receiver.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Maybe you guys have me on ignore but he's already tried the Armalite mount and it was too high for him. In my experience, that means an extended riser and rings to suit.

Unless you guys know of a lower one piece mount. Anyone?

Toad that is a whole lot of screws to bolt together, I don't know how you did it... LOL

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
How about just rings that fit the Picitiny rail instead of using a riser and rings? Say using medium or high mounts right to the picitiny rails on the gun?

IC B2

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Doesn't get the scope far enough forward.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BarryC
Unless you swap optics between AR's and bolt guns, the picatinny rail that's on your upper receiver is the only base you need, just get the correct mount.

What rings give you enough forward placement of the scope to get proper eye relief on an AR?

Mine sit at least 1 3/4" - 2" ahead of the charging handle.

Off the top of my head, ADM makes one, the Recon X. LaRue makes one also, the SPR-E. There are others but those two are the ones I am most familiar with.

The standard Recon and SPR mounts have worked for me though. I haven't found a need for a extra long one. Most of my optics sit just forward of the charging handle with a standard AR LOP.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TWR
Maybe you guys have me on ignore but he's already tried the Armalite mount and it was too high for him. In my experience, that means an extended riser and rings to suit.

Unless you guys know of a lower one piece mount. Anyone?

Toad that is a whole lot of screws to bolt together, I don't know how you did it... LOL

As mentioned, Badger Ordnance makes one. ADM and Nightforce make them also. I'm sure there are more that I'm missing.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
How about a link, I sure can't find one any lower that retains the forward shift.

Remember the Armalite is 1.25" to center line of scope.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
1.25" is low, real low.

http://www.badgerordnance.com/unimounts/34-mm-1-piece-unimount-extra-high-1-3-high-4-625-long.html

https://www.triadtactical.com/Badger-Unimounts.html

The Nightforce is 1.375" to center line.
The ADM recon 1" is 1.380" to center line.

Last edited by wareagle700; 06/20/16.

IC B3

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
That's all I could find as well so he's out of luck on one piece mounts if the Armalite is too high for him.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah, thats odd for that mount to be too high. I'd be interested to see a picture of him shouldering the rifle.

Last edited by wareagle700; 06/20/16.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rost495

Hmm, most bolt guns. Reciever. Bolted down base. Rings bolted to base.

ARs Reciever. Riser bolted to base. Rings bolted to riser.

Somehow it works on bolt guns mostly.

YEs it does work and it will work with the AR's also but there is always a chance of it loosening and with the quality selection of AR mounts I just don't see the need. I like the concept of Ruger and Sako bases made right into the receiver.

I never said it was nirvana, just pointing out its not going to be any worse than other setups....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I know a Troy BUIS won't fit under one without modification.

But I have had people ask me about lower mounts before and I just didn't know of any. Although I think it's more due to an unusual height over the bore compared to a bolt gun than a fitment issue with most.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by TWR
That's all I could find as well so he's out of luck on one piece mounts if the Armalite is too high for him.

Armalite at 1.25" works just right for me. Perfect height. To add to the confusion... Armalite now makes a 1.5" high version.

I have never handled the 1.3 or so models, I do know that the SSALT is too high for my face/head.

I generally end up prone at the dairy farm shooting ground hogs so maybe that adds to my experience... I dunno.

Thanks a million for all the feedback.

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bob, I think these high mounts must be for close & fast shooting, because they sure ain't any good for prone. Maybe there is some other reason (co-witnessing, etc) that doesn't have to do with ergonomics.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BarryC
Bob, I think these high mounts must be for close & fast shooting, because they sure ain't any good for prone. Maybe there is some other reason (co-witnessing, etc) that doesn't have to do with ergonomics.

When 90% of the good AR mounts are close to the same height, you would think they were on to something. I'm sure if a 1.25" height mount were "ideal," then LaRue, Badger, Geissele, and Nightforce would offer one.

I guess if you are trying to shoot NTCH with a scope you might run into some issues with mounts though.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
It's funny that the irons are 1.4" above the rail same as LaRue mounts and most others.

But yes they do fine with close and fast shooting. smile

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
"When 90% of the good AR mounts are close to the same height, you would think they were on to something."

HA!

Without doubt I am an odd duck; on more than one count too! LOL

Aero Precision has monolithic mid length uppers in stock right now and I am sorely tempted to pull the trigger on one or two.

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
sight height has to also be related to head/face structure to an extent and to how you mount the gun etc...

I have a couple guns with only extra high rings on hunting guns, and no riser and I do just fine with them. Not ideal but still do just fine.

a lot like an 870 fits a LOT of folks for pull/cant etc... its certainly not for everyone.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 1234, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 19rabbit52, 51 invisible), 2,283 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,090
Posts18,464,038
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.