Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I suppose some of y'all have been down this road before. How did it go? My face must be different than most because most one piece mounts are too high for me.

I suppose it is best to have a cantilever extended riser and not lock up the reciever with rail?

I've looked hard at the Aero precision one-piece upper monolithic but I wonder if they flex with a tight sling too?

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
GB1

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
There are extended risers that let you attach rings to suit you. Back in the day an ARMS #5 rail I think was pretty popular.

Today there are better choices from Precision Reflex used on the first SPR's to John Burns' extended rail.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Robert_White
I suppose some of y'all have been down this road before. How did it go? My face must be different than most because most one piece mounts are too high for me.

John Scandale is making one that is lower. It's the only one I'm aware of that is lower than 1 1/2" above the deck.

I suppose it is best to have a cantilever extended riser and not lock up the reciever with rail?

I've looked hard at the Aero precision one-piece upper monolithic but I wonder if they flex with a tight sling too?

You only attach them to the upper receiver, not the handguard. They will flex if you attach them to the handguard.

I'd just buy a $10 Gunbroker 5" extended rail and $10 rings. That way you can adjust the height perfectly for only $10 a try.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm not sure what you mean by, "not lock up the reciever with rail?"

GS-1 is 6061 T6 with full clamp bar, two SHCS, and thread inserts. As a mounting base, it functions great for ring spacing (wide) and scope height. Not sure how well it will hold up long-term though. Seems fine, but I haven't used it enough yet.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 4th_point; 06/17/16.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Depending on scope (ocular), the GS-1 might not get you as low as you want. Their Scout rail might work though.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Robert-What ARs and mounts do you currently own?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There are several manufacturers that make good one piece mounts that will get you under the 1.5" height.

Badger is one I would look hard at.

Last edited by wareagle700; 06/18/16.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
This one:
Armalite 1” scope mount assembly, medium

$89.00

Armalite’s Scope Mounts provide outstanding, repeatable engagement with all MIL-STD 1913 rail systems, placing the scope centerline at the same position as the iron sights of a model A2 Rifle.

Medium height and accept up to a 50 mm
Fits on AR-10®, M-15, AR-30, AR-50
1.250″ from top of upper receiver to center of scope rings (approx.)
Torque on the 1913 rail screws: 40 inch lbs.

The 1.25"/high fits me fine but I am not too too crazy about the bolts that hold it together. I also have the sWFA/SSALT but it is too high for my liking.

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by TWR
There are extended risers that let you attach rings to suit you. Back in the day an ARMS #5 rail I think was pretty popular.

Today there are better choices from Precision Reflex used on the first SPR's to John Burns' extended rail.

Found the Burns doodad:
http://wyomingarms.com/product/wyo-lok-optic-riser/

The WYO LOK Optic Riser was developed to overcome the shortcomings of the more traditional cantilever optic mounts for the AR-15/ AR-10 style rifles. By utilizing a full length rail clamp and 7 cap screws the design offers improved strength and added versatility when attaching an optic to the AR style rifle or other types using a M1913 Picatinny rail.
•6.375 inch length
•0.500 inch rise
•Machined from 7075 T6 Aluminum Billet
•Type III Hard Coat Anodize
•Lightweight
•7 locking cap screws spaced for optimal mounting versatility
•Patent Pending
•Specifically designed to rigidly lock and align upper to free float tube
•Specifically designed to allow optic to be mounted forward for proper eye relief
•Made in Cody Wyoming USA
•Allows multiple optics to be switched without affecting weapon

.5" rise in this.

This looks interesting.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I am thinking I might get the Leupold PRW's in medium.

Use the PRW rings when a cross-slot format is desired or necessary but detachability isn't. Leupold PRW solid steel rings secure directly to the base with two screws for rock solid dependability.

Technical Information
Material: Steel
Ring Height: 1" Tube (measured from base of ring to bottom of scope tube)
•Low: .230"
•Medium: .350"
•High: .480"

Ring Height: 30mm Tube (measured from base of ring to bottom of scope tube)
•Medium: . 350"
•High: .480"

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have the Wyoming Arms riser and am happy with it. A riser / ring setup is heavier than some single piece mounts, but the WA riser is built like a tank.

It's also less expensive if you're switching different glass on the same rifle. A few years ago I used the same gun to shoot a sniper match one morning and then carbine and 3Gun matches that afternoon and next day, by switching between a 3-9 and a 1-6 on the same gun. All I needed was a set of rings rather than an entire QD mount for the second scope.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm using Burn's riser you linked above and the Leupold QRW 30mm. Before that I had the one inch PRW. I like the set up and it has held zero.

While I like the riser and ring set up a lot, for another rife I have, another option I'm considering is adding a Magpul cheek riser to the CTR stock so I can use the Aero mount. This should still give me the cheek height I want and allow me to keep my MBUS on.

The Aero mount and Magpul cheek piece would be five ounces. The Leupolds and the Wyoming riser are 10. (Weighed on a cheap kitchen scale.)

Here is a link to an old thread with some good info in it:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/8610282/1

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
http://shop.hahn-precision.com/BUIS-Cut-Scout-Rail-ASRCO2O5.htm

I have one of these. Worked great for what I needed it for - being able to move and use a known scope mounted in QRW rings for loading testing on a couple of different AR's.

I no longer have any use for it - if anyone's interested just pm me.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
What about the Aero uppers that have the tube connection forged as a solid part of the upper? Surely that is going to be help keep things straight, especially where you would be mounting the forward part of the scope rail. Less flex there.

http://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/ar15-m4e1-enhanced-upper-receiver.html

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by TXRam
http://shop.hahn-precision.com/BUIS-Cut-Scout-Rail-ASRCO2O5.htm

I have one of these. Worked great for what I needed it for - being able to move and use a known scope mounted in QRW rings for loading testing on a couple of different AR's.

I no longer have any use for it - if anyone's interested just pm me.

I looked at the picture, looks like a longer version of the ARMS SWAN mount. But in the picture it does not show how it it locks to the receiver; no cross bolts etc. How does it work?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
With all the different height one piece mounts available why go with a rise and rings? All I see that doing is adding one more joint to possible loosen.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by reelman
With all the different height one piece mounts available why go with a rise and rings? All I see that doing is adding one more joint to possible loosen.

That would make it too easy.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I don't know of a one piece mount lower than the Armalite he is using now. Do y'all?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by wareagle700
Originally Posted by reelman

That would make it too easy.

Hmm, most bolt guns. Reciever. Bolted down base. Rings bolted to base.

ARs Reciever. Riser bolted to base. Rings bolted to riser.

Somehow it works on bolt guns mostly.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Remember the AR already has a base built in unlike most bolt actions. Of course, you could make it work either way but they make mounts specifically for the AR that vary in height and have enough offset to get correct eye relief with most scopes. Unless you swap optics between AR's and bolt guns, the picatinny rail that's on your upper receiver is the only base you need, just get the correct mount.

For me, AR mounts with a 1.4" height (from top of receiver to center of scope) is about perfect.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

437 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 39 invisible), 2,025 guests, and 1,099 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,746
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.