Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
JoeBob Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I can't really warm up to ARs. Yeah they are nice, accurate, and all that, but I just prefer the ergonomics and wood and steel heft of a Mini. I find the new ones acceptably accurate until they really start to heat up. The only downside is that magazines are not as plentiful or cheap. But the good news for me is that mine loves the cheap Promag 20s, so there is that.

So does anyone else feel the same way?

GB1

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Nope, I'm pretty sure you're the only one.

J
JoeBob Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by TWR
Nope, I'm pretty sure you're the only one.

Figured so. That's why I asked.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You're the first I've heard. smile

Islam is a terrorist organization.

J
JoeBob Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
The only AR style rifle I've ever liked is the M-16 a1 I had in basic. After that they've all been heavy, clunky, and rattled too much. Not denying that they are better in many if not most ways.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'll be damned if I can say the new ones rattle vs the old ones... never seen that at all.

I agree though, the AR hands down wins every category.

But I still love the feel of the M14/M1A over the AR, even though I"m so used to the AR shooting it competition wise since 89 to 04.

mini 14 first and last part of hatred for that gun is because its a ruger. Thats enough for me to never own one of them.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Just kidding, I really like the feel of the older mini's and some here have spent a chunk getting them to shoot.

I just moved on to AR's and have gotten used to them but I prefer light weights myself.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I felt that way once. I got a mini and spent a while trying to get it to shoot before getting tired of it. I had the same misgivings about AR's, but having gotten one recently I have found many things to like. Initial accuracy of the AR was enough to cure me of ever wanting a mini again.

Hell...Reloading/Shooting are still my favorite things to do,besides play in the box the kids came in.................
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Yep.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I do.
I use mine for pest control and prefer the mini30 to ar15 in 223 or 300bo. The feel is more traditional and natural for me.

I still like the AR and no question it shoots smaller groups, but I do like my mini more.

IC B3

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like mine and enjoy shooting it. For me that's reason enough to own it. Now if I had to pick one or the other the AR is an easy choice. Fortunately I don't need to choose.

Last edited by TC1; 06/18/16.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I do prefer the mini, although admittedly I've never fired one. I just can't seem to warm up to the ergonomics or manual of arms of the AR15.

End the end though, the mini's cons out weighed it's pros, so I ended up with an AK. I think I made the right decision.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Yes, I do and have for some time.

I have AR's too but I prefer the Mini for most uses.

Gary

Last edited by Dancing Bear; 06/19/16.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by TWR
Just kidding, I really like the feel of the older mini's and some here have spent a chunk getting them to shoot.

I just moved on to AR's and have gotten used to them but I prefer light weights
myself.

Never thought about it until I saw this post, but I used minis growing up before ARs became so popular and wondered if my fondness of the mini was just because of experiences. However, I think you just nailed it. The feel of the mini seemed to be more hunting rifle like than an AR. Now, I like the AR and use it for many different things but when I used to deer hunt with dogs, the mini was great for that purpose on our smaller deer in FL. Yes, it could be done with an AR but I remember the feel of the mini was seemingly better.

I sold the mini and have moved on to ARs but the minis definitely have a good place in my memory.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Every young red neck around here aspired to own a mini-14 and the lore about them being more reliable than an AR was spread throughout the countryside. I loved my first peep sighted mini-14 and kilt lots of critters with it.

Then shortly after I graduated in 82, I saw my first ranch rifle and had to have it. I guess ignorance is bliss cause after scoping mine I saw how inaccurate they were and bought several more over the years trying to find a "good one".

Finally gave the AR a chance and haven't looked back but I still like the feel of the older wood stocked mini's. And truthfully, they were accurate enough to do the job.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
My Mini and my NM M1-A were the most disappointing rifles I ever owned.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Years ago I liked the idea as I"ve mentioned before.

But then I shot a few friends had and they sucked for accuracy. Ball ammo didn't help any..

A good friend and mentor suggested just spend a bit more, and get an M1A. M1A shot MOA right out of the box with the right loads. Then bedded and tweaked and life got even better.

But in all honesty, the AR was just different when we started but having fired likely close to 200,000 rounds in ARs over the years those guns just flat fit me now and feel just like a glove and second nature. I never have to think when I grab one. Almost like you load, carry and shoot it without thinking.

Evidence you can get used to and find an affection for anything almost it seems if used enough.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have always loved the Mini 14 and have had a couple of great ones. http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/2008_10_01_archive.html

I eventually swapped them for something more valuable. Now they're over $700 and I don't see myself paying that for one.

I wanted a Mini 30 really bad until I sighted in a couple for friends, who had just put scopes on them. My WASR 10 shoots better 200 yard groups with irons, than either Mini 30 would scoped. Then there's the issue with misfires using Combloc ammo...

Last edited by SargeMO; 06/19/16.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
One in 6.8 SPC2 that shot 3 inches at 100 would work for my hunting. It's a nice little gun plagued with an inaccurate barrel and operating system. I guess it is the best Ruger can do with it. Shame you cannot buy a Ruger mini 14 firing pin and have to send the in th gun in to get the easily broken pins replaced

J
JoeBob Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
If I don't shoot groups, it seems to work just fine in that I usually hit what I'm aiming at.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (007FJ, 1eyedmule, 160user, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 56 invisible), 2,683 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,568
Posts18,453,832
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.