Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
JoeBob Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I can't really warm up to ARs. Yeah they are nice, accurate, and all that, but I just prefer the ergonomics and wood and steel heft of a Mini. I find the new ones acceptably accurate until they really start to heat up. The only downside is that magazines are not as plentiful or cheap. But the good news for me is that mine loves the cheap Promag 20s, so there is that.

So does anyone else feel the same way?

ARIC

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Nope, I'm pretty sure you're the only one.

J
JoeBob Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by TWR
Nope, I'm pretty sure you're the only one.

Figured so. That's why I asked.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You're the first I've heard. smile

Islam is a terrorist organization.

J
JoeBob Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
The only AR style rifle I've ever liked is the M-16 a1 I had in basic. After that they've all been heavy, clunky, and rattled too much. Not denying that they are better in many if not most ways.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'll be damned if I can say the new ones rattle vs the old ones... never seen that at all.

I agree though, the AR hands down wins every category.

But I still love the feel of the M14/M1A over the AR, even though I"m so used to the AR shooting it competition wise since 89 to 04.

mini 14 first and last part of hatred for that gun is because its a ruger. Thats enough for me to never own one of them.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Just kidding, I really like the feel of the older mini's and some here have spent a chunk getting them to shoot.

I just moved on to AR's and have gotten used to them but I prefer light weights myself.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I felt that way once. I got a mini and spent a while trying to get it to shoot before getting tired of it. I had the same misgivings about AR's, but having gotten one recently I have found many things to like. Initial accuracy of the AR was enough to cure me of ever wanting a mini again.

Hell...Reloading/Shooting are still my favorite things to do,besides play in the box the kids came in.................
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Yep.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I do.
I use mine for pest control and prefer the mini30 to ar15 in 223 or 300bo. The feel is more traditional and natural for me.

I still like the AR and no question it shoots smaller groups, but I do like my mini more.

IC B3

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like mine and enjoy shooting it. For me that's reason enough to own it. Now if I had to pick one or the other the AR is an easy choice. Fortunately I don't need to choose.

Last edited by TC1; 06/18/16.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I do prefer the mini, although admittedly I've never fired one. I just can't seem to warm up to the ergonomics or manual of arms of the AR15.

End the end though, the mini's cons out weighed it's pros, so I ended up with an AK. I think I made the right decision.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Yes, I do and have for some time.

I have AR's too but I prefer the Mini for most uses.

Gary

Last edited by Dancing Bear; 06/19/16.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by TWR
Just kidding, I really like the feel of the older mini's and some here have spent a chunk getting them to shoot.

I just moved on to AR's and have gotten used to them but I prefer light weights
myself.

Never thought about it until I saw this post, but I used minis growing up before ARs became so popular and wondered if my fondness of the mini was just because of experiences. However, I think you just nailed it. The feel of the mini seemed to be more hunting rifle like than an AR. Now, I like the AR and use it for many different things but when I used to deer hunt with dogs, the mini was great for that purpose on our smaller deer in FL. Yes, it could be done with an AR but I remember the feel of the mini was seemingly better.

I sold the mini and have moved on to ARs but the minis definitely have a good place in my memory.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Every young red neck around here aspired to own a mini-14 and the lore about them being more reliable than an AR was spread throughout the countryside. I loved my first peep sighted mini-14 and kilt lots of critters with it.

Then shortly after I graduated in 82, I saw my first ranch rifle and had to have it. I guess ignorance is bliss cause after scoping mine I saw how inaccurate they were and bought several more over the years trying to find a "good one".

Finally gave the AR a chance and haven't looked back but I still like the feel of the older wood stocked mini's. And truthfully, they were accurate enough to do the job.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
My Mini and my NM M1-A were the most disappointing rifles I ever owned.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Years ago I liked the idea as I"ve mentioned before.

But then I shot a few friends had and they sucked for accuracy. Ball ammo didn't help any..

A good friend and mentor suggested just spend a bit more, and get an M1A. M1A shot MOA right out of the box with the right loads. Then bedded and tweaked and life got even better.

But in all honesty, the AR was just different when we started but having fired likely close to 200,000 rounds in ARs over the years those guns just flat fit me now and feel just like a glove and second nature. I never have to think when I grab one. Almost like you load, carry and shoot it without thinking.

Evidence you can get used to and find an affection for anything almost it seems if used enough.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have always loved the Mini 14 and have had a couple of great ones. http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/2008_10_01_archive.html

I eventually swapped them for something more valuable. Now they're over $700 and I don't see myself paying that for one.

I wanted a Mini 30 really bad until I sighted in a couple for friends, who had just put scopes on them. My WASR 10 shoots better 200 yard groups with irons, than either Mini 30 would scoped. Then there's the issue with misfires using Combloc ammo...

Last edited by SargeMO; 06/19/16.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
One in 6.8 SPC2 that shot 3 inches at 100 would work for my hunting. It's a nice little gun plagued with an inaccurate barrel and operating system. I guess it is the best Ruger can do with it. Shame you cannot buy a Ruger mini 14 firing pin and have to send the in th gun in to get the easily broken pins replaced

J
JoeBob Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
If I don't shoot groups, it seems to work just fine in that I usually hit what I'm aiming at.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I had a mini that I sent to Texas and it came back shooting 1/2". Murdered some coyotes with that one.

LOL
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
There have been more than a few minis that have ended up with a shilen tube and some work on them that shoot.

Its not unlike doing the accuracy mods to an M14 I suspect. I say suspect because while I know what to do with an M14 I've never pulled a mini apart to see how closely they compare.

They are supposed to be a clone, IE the name...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I know people that prefer the overall feel and ergonomics of a mini. I don't know anyone who preferred the accuracy of a mini over an AR though. I killed my first few deer with a mini 30 so they have a spot in my collection. However, I just can't like inaccurate rifles and don't find myself grabbing one to take shooting or hunting.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think the Mini gained popularity when the AR still had a spotty reputation for reliability. And yes the ergos do suit some people more than the AR.

I had one in the early 90's that would put 5 in an inch at 100 yards. I wasn't smart enough to keep it, unfortunately. I've also got Dad's 180 series, which has the super-skinny barrel. I've never run it seriously, but if it will shoot 3 or 5 accurately from a cold barrel, that's plenty good for a predator rifle. It will get some use, for sentimental reasons if nothing else.

Not everybody is free to pick what they want for rifles, so in those cases the Mini isn't a bad option. But except for artificial constraints the AR will do just about everything better.

One thing I noticed when I had a Ruger .44 carbine; those silly slick plastic buttplates that Ruger used for years on Minis, .22's, and .44 - play hell with accuracy; the gun slides around on your shoulder when firing. A rubber buttplate is much superior.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hated my M-16 during my time in USMC. I could see the bullets tumbling if the light was right and trying to put it on paper was a waste of time. But the bullets that hit the paper were often sideways. I suppose they were more lethal that way frown.

When I got out, I bought a Mini-14. That was over 40 years ago. They were not so accurate, but much more accurate than that damn M-16.

Now, I own a AR-15, heavy barrel. It is one of my prairie dog guns. Generally I still have this deep down disgust for anything that looks like that damn M-16.

My M-14 in the USMC was much better and I have a fond feelings for those M-14's.

Last edited by Bugger; 06/19/16.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Where's that BS flag?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I hate those damn slick 'carbine' style butt-plates myself. Ruger adding a rubber pad to the 580 and newer Minis was something they should have been done long ago.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by TWR
Where's that BS flag?

+1

V
V
I agree with the op. I've owned 2 AR platforms and never really cared for them. I will be the first to admit, most AR's will out group a mini pretty easily. The mini I have now shoots a minute-of-barn door group. But I've got several bolt guns that will shoot under a minute, so that really wasn't my concern. I wanted a reliable, simple, high volume truck and plinking gun. Everybody I hand that mini to when we go shoot loves it. Theres no teaching them how to run it, where the buttons are, it's just rack and go. There are alot of reasons why my AR's left, and the mini never will.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by 117LBS
I felt that way once. I got a mini and spent a while trying to get it to shoot before getting tired of it. I had the same misgivings about AR's, but having gotten one recently I have found many things to like. Initial accuracy of the AR was enough to cure me of ever wanting a mini again.
That's pretty much my path, too, but I've had AR's for a while now. Probably about 15 years. I understand the Mini's shoot better than they did 15-20 years ago, but AR's still win the day on too many counts for me.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can't speak as to the Mini 14. I've only owned one, and for a VERY brief time. Only 3 weeks. Never fired it. Bought it from someone that hated the thing. It had an original factory wire folding stock on it.

I had another buddy that found out about the Mini 14 and made me an offer that I could not refuse. I paid $350 for the rifle, and he paid me $1,000.00 Not bad on the turn around price since I had not even placed it up for sale or told too many people that I owned the darn thing.

As for AR15's. I only own one at the present time. A LMT lower and a Model 1 upper with a Lothar 20", 1" diameter stainless barrel. 1:9 twist. It shoot's MUCH better than I can. It's not something that I'd want to carry afield very long because it's heavy, but it does shoot very well.

As for a true M14. I have a friend that served in Viet Nam. He carried an M14 chambered in 7.62x51.

To this day his go to big game rifle is a Springfield M14 in .308 Deer, elk, bear. Does not matter. He shoots it well, and is comfortable with it.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TWR
Where's that BS flag?

You may not have had the pleasure of getting handed down a M-16 that had been fired on fully automatic for a few years with bores that looked like gravel. I applaud your luck. Our platoon was handed POS's. Lucky you.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Bugger
Originally Posted by TWR
Where's that BS flag?

You may not have had the pleasure of getting handed down a M-16 that had been fired on fully automatic for a few years with bores that looked like gravel. I applaud your luck. Our platoon was handed POS's. Lucky you.

They are out there. And good ones too. But I can tell you a smoothbore mini ain't going to shoot any better...

Comparing a pristine Caprice to one with 300K miles ain't fair...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Varminthunter243
I agree with the op. I've owned 2 AR platforms and never really cared for them. I will be the first to admit, most AR's will out group a mini pretty easily. The mini I have now shoots a minute-of-barn door group. But I've got several bolt guns that will shoot under a minute, so that really wasn't my concern. I wanted a reliable, simple, high volume truck and plinking gun. Everybody I hand that mini to when we go shoot loves it. Theres no teaching them how to run it, where the buttons are, it's just rack and go. There are alot of reasons why my AR's left, and the mini never will.

RE knobs and such... if folks can't find the buttons on teh AR, they likely won't find the safety on teh mini either....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can't say I prefer the Mini, but I don't hate on it like some do.
It was my first semi 5.56, fun to shoot, with good ergos.
It's still in the safe and gets used occasionally.
It's a good starter center fire for the young'uns.
And as someone said earlier, it seems to be accurate enough to get the job done until you bench it and shoot groups.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
J
JoeBob Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
One thing I've ALWAYS hated about the AR is the lack of a conventional charging handle on the bolt. If you learned how to shoot in the Army and/or the AR is the first center fire you really shot, I doubt you think much of it.

Last edited by JoeBob; 06/21/16.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I was never in the military. AR is far from the first thing I ever shot, in fact it was WAY down the line after lots of other guns.

Didn't take more than a glance at the gun to figure it all out.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Army passed their warn out M16's to USMC. I believe due to the war being run by Westmoreland General US Army.

But there's people that have no knowledge yet they still have opinions.

Those worthless M16's went to training too.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've had a brand new M16A1 upper that would do 1.5 MOA without any trouble. It was accurate enough that I floated it and tried to wear it out. Shot and owned enough pencil barrels to know your original statement didn't hold water. Thanks for clarifying.

Basing your opinion on a worn out barrel has done you no favors.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Bugger
The Army passed their warn out M16's to USMC. I believe due to the war being run by Westmoreland General US Army.

But there's people that have no knowledge yet they still have opinions.

Those worthless M16's went to training too.

When you say gravel for bores, I read not accurate at all. If your POS comment meant junk all around, you are still comparing worn out to non worn out. IE if you were handed a mini that had a million rounds down it...

I've never owned a mini, but I"ve had more issues from real M1As over the years ever than from an AR.

And again, I prefer the feel of the M1A, but if I can get used to an AR being an extension of my body, then almost anyone should be able to.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had them both. I still have them both. They both have their time and place. It would be cool if someone would come up with an affordable and fool proof side charger for the AR's. I'm sure in due time they will come. for folks in the banned states, the Mini is about the best you can do.

I certainly hope Ruger has stepped up their game with the 583 series and are making the Mini's worth the money for those folks who have few choices.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I got a side charger, port side.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Side charger is simply a preference, over the many years we shot them all, side or rear charger never made a bit of difference to us.

J
JoeBob Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
A side charger on the right side is better for lots of reasons. It's easier to operate, to clear, and in a pinch you have a straight pull bolt action if you need one. You can get a lot more leverage on it too.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I fell in love with the mini about 20 years ago or more but found out she is a faithless whore! Won't group no matter what.

I used to cuss AR's but they sure do grow on you over time.

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No love for the Ruger, but I love my M1 carbine if I want to plink. The AR still gets the nod for more serious or accurate work.

Who is John Galt?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a factory folder in the 80s. I put a scope mount on it, and it was pretty clear it could not hold a good group. I tried working with it but it never shot well. I traded it on a Colt HBar in 1986 when they came out with 1/7 twist. I don't regret that trade.
Back then, Ruger was supposed to make a real M14 clone in 308. It was cataloged, but never sold.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The only thing 'wrong' with recent iterations of the Mini 14 is the price. I've never seen one that was picky and they will in fact feed ammo that will choke an AR. This 580 Ranch Rifle was a tack driver with loads it liked. In this case it was Sierra’s 65 grain BTSP ‘Gameking’ #1395 bullet over 25.0 grains of H4895, with Winchester Small Rifle primers and an OAL of 2.250”. The first three rounds of the 65 grain Sierra load made this 100 yard, 3/4” group. I was certainly glad to see it, but suspected it might be a fluke…
[Linked Image]

I cranked the scope down a couple of clicks and fired another...

[Linked Image]

Needless to say, I used that load on several coyotes, groudhogs and one button buck at about 170 yards. It killed everything I turned it on and a second shot was rarely needed. If you like the Mini and don't mind the tariff, by all means buy one. They are great utility guns that feel like an actual rifle when you sling and shoulder them. Unless you're one of these guy who thinks he needs six 40 round magazines to go to the mailbox, you'll be happy with it.

J
JoeBob Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
As to the price argument, I agree. But, then again, what do other wood and steel firearms cost today? In that respect, the Mini is pretty much right on target. We've been spoiled over the last few years by a plethora of cheap ARs. The AR is really benefitting these days from economy of scale and the fact that they are so easy to manufacture.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The newer Mini's have the heavier profile barrel and they group much better. They'll still typically be 2MOA rifles, but honestly what will you be shooting at with a Mini that 2MOA will not do the job? And if we're being honest, most rack grade military AR's are 2-2.5 MOA, and no one ever seems to complain about them.

This notion that everyone will shoot 1MOA in the field just doesn't match reality.

The Mini isn't a military rifle, and you shouldn't think of it as such. It's a civilian sporting rifle that just happens to be the absolute best non-military sporting semi-auto out there, so it can double as a defense rifle in a pinch, and it will do it well. You just can't expect to pump 500 rounds through it in 30 minutes without any issues.

For a general purpose semi-auto rifle, the Mini is just fantastic. The traditional layout means it's slim and thin. The AR's and other military style rifles are really tall height wise, which makes them less convenient to slip behind the seat of a truck and stuff like that.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I think the newest Mini's with the flush mount five rounder and factory irons are some of the coolest little rifles ever built.

But their price is excessive at this point.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My 188 series Ranch Rifle has been turning in top flight performance since the nineties. I have never had a failure with it. It eats milsurp ammo, Godless Commie steel case ammo, and hand loads, with equal ease.
It will give two inch or less accuracy all day long. Cold or hot. Back in the day, it killed a number of turkeys, and a lot of hogs.
Yeah, I have AR rifles also, and really like them too. I would not feel under gunned in a pinch, with either.
[Linked Image]

Sam......

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
257 members (12344mag, 257 mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 10Glocks, 23 invisible), 1,705 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,932
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.