Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Anyone have firsthand experience with these?

I saw one at Cabelas today that looked like new, 28" barrels choked F/M, and felt good in my hands. I can't tell whether it is built on a 20g or 28g frame. I've been looking for a 28 to try but have mostly looked over Franchi 48's and Benelli's. OU's and SXS's really have not been on my list mostly because of cost, but this one may fit the bill!

Any opinions are appreciated. A layaway trip may be in the plans for tomorrow morning!

BP-B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Not a 28ga, but had one in 12ga, and currently a 505 in 12ga.
Had to have the older 12ga stock cut down a tad for me, and it was a truly reliable waterfowl gun, wonderful shooting.
Still have the 505 in the safe, pristine, as I have gone to a 20ga these days trying to save my shoulder/ rotator cuff.
I know its not exactly what you're interested in. But as to the brand SKB, its a great shotgun.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
IIRC, the M500 is the 'field grade' line and was built all on the same frames. That changed when the "-85" series came out; the skeet sets, for example, were on a slightly smaller frame.

First SKB I bought was a M500 and it served me well for years. The Blue Book shows a 25%+ factor for the 28 ga., so if it fits you OK I'd grab it quick - depending on what they're asking for it.

SKBs are indeed very well-made shotguns, with innards easily compared to any of the Citoris and 725s.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Thanks for the replies! It does not seem like there is too much info out there on these SKB 500 28's.

I put it on layaway to buy me some more time about the purchase. They are asking $900 for it and it is in 98-99% condition... just a couple of tiny handling marks on the wood. It sounds like SKB quality is solid like other Japanese firearms of that era (Miroku).

I also found another shop that has a CZ Ringneck SxS (pistol grip stock) in 28 gauge on the small frame with screw in choke tubes also in about 98% condition for $550.

I have both SxS's and O&U's but probably shoot the SxS's a little bit more. The little CZ felt good for sure but I can't help but think the SKB 1960-1970's quality would not be a little bit better than the Turkish CZ. The SKB feels good in my hands as well so that is not really an issue.

Tough decision...

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I share the previous posters respect for the SKB guns, but I will share two other opinions on the above subject. I have three friends with the CZ sxs guns. Two a re 28s and one in 20. They are actually pretty nice and they have been very reliable. The 20 ga is the one I'm most familiar with and it has been hunted over the past 10 years w/o a bobble. Our new Cabelas had a Skb o/u in 28 and i noted that it shared the same frame as the 20 ga next to it thus it was slightly but noticibly heavier. $900 is a good price but IMHO why bother with the higher shell cost and heavier gun just to say you have a 28 ga. Unless you want to shoot skeet vs hunting. Again just my opinion ymmv but for hunting since you like sxs guns go CZ.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by lundtroller
The little CZ felt good for sure but I can't help but think the SKB 1960-1970's quality would not be a little bit better than the Turkish CZ. The SKB feels good in my hands as well so that is not really an issue.

Tough decision...
Not really.. Have the buttstocks removed so you can ogle the innards..

You'll be totin' that SKB home forthwith.. smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I am picking up a SKB 500 12g tomorrow that looks almost mint. Has been in the shop for at least a couple months so I'm hoping they will negotiate a bit but it's coming home tomorrow regardless. Has a price tag of $850.00 Cdn.

I have been watching for a few weeks and it finally called my name this AM so I held it, caressed it a bit to maybe....
Anyway, it fits me like and extension of my body.

I have had a CZ Mallard for a couple years now, also 12g, that I really like. Fit great, shoots very well. Quite light as well but you don't notice recoil much, at least
I don't. While not top of the line, they are good guns IMO.

I suspect the CZ will become my mountain shotgun and the Ithaca will be my pheasant and sharpie gun. Wish it was a 20g but its too nice to pass up. If you can swing the 28g I say go for it. The SKB's are very nice guns from my reading about them.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
123 members (257 mag, 6mmCreedmoor, 160user, 35, 6mmbrfan, 10Glocks, 13 invisible), 1,779 guests, and 823 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.