Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
It is “Milky Way” season again. The best time to view and photograph the “center” of the universe is from around the beginning of May through the end of October. I really like photographing the night sky and the Milky Way, especially with a great foreground object. During my recent trip the southwest, mainly Utah, Arches NP and Canyonlands NP were my main focus for the evening or morning shoots. The moon set around midnight to 2 a.m. on the days we were there which allowed several hours of great shooting.

I used the Tamron SP 15-30mm f2.8 Di VC USD lens for all of my night sky images. I have come to refer to it as “the Milky Way Slayer”, because as one of my fellow shooters kept saying, it was killing it. Using the Tamron SP 15-30mm f2.8 Di VC USD lens on a Canon 5Diii made for some great hi resolution, low noise images. The lens allowed it to capture tack sharp stars and sharp edged foreground objects as well. On the lens, my setup was simply to turn off the VC since I was doing a long exposure on a tripod, set the lens to manual focus and on the infinity mark. It seems that right in the center of the mark is best.

On my camera all the images were shot at ISO 3200, Manual Exposure mode, 30 seconds, and f2.8. I occasionally shot at f4 but rarely. I shot on a tripod and used a cable release to minimize any shake. I didn’t do any light painting but with the shot of Mesa Arch there was a little light from my fellow photographer’s phone for a few brief seconds. I did lighten up the shadow area of the shot of Mesa Arch as well. In Lightroom I simply kicked up the Vibrance, set my WB to about 3400K, moved up the Contrast and Noise Reduction and lastly moved the Dehaze slider to about +25.

To me, I have found the perfect lens for shooting the night sky, it is the Milky Way Slayer, I mean the Tamron SP 15-30mm f2.8 Di VC USD lens. If you like shooting the night sky or any wide angle landscape, this is the lens for you. Give Joel a call up at Camera Land and get your lens ordered today. As always mention you are a member of the Campfire for the best pricing available on all of your photography needs.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Great photography is not about being in the right place at the right time, it is about putting yourself in the right place at the right time.
GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Your pics are stunning.
Thank you for sharing

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks! Digital photography makes shooting the Milky Way fun!

Great photography is not about being in the right place at the right time, it is about putting yourself in the right place at the right time.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
As usual, great stuff and thanks for the tech hints. Looking forward here to next summer's solar eclipse.

Last edited by 1minute; 06/01/16.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A friend really likes his Tamron 15-30. He combines it with a Canon 5dsR and an AstroTrac for pinpoint stars. I still use the 600/mm=seconds rule to minimize star trails, when I can hear the alarm to wake up in the middle of the night ;-)

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks 1minute. Doug this was the first time I had tried them with the Canon 5Diii and was very impressed. I am going to shoot some with my Nikon D500 that I just got from Joel when I have a clear night or next weekend in Arches. I am going to try a few at ISO 6400 and ISO 12,800 to reduce the shutter speed to 15 seconds and 8 seconds to see what it does.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Nice pics. I 'almost' wish it got dark here now!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Nice pics. I 'almost' wish it got dark here now!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Wait a couple months...right?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Late-night in Sept. (moose season) it isn't too bad if it's clear. (Ha!)

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Stunning pics. Great info. Thanks for pistibg

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks cv540. ironbender, how are the Northern Lights in September, if it is clear of course? It is on my list for the next year to get up there, just trying to decide when is best. Bears, Eagles, and Northern Lights.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Love these, especially the first with the almost disturbing awe that the Center brings along with the mysterious happenings on the horizon.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Not a resident but I've been up after moose/caribou in September and witnessed some awesome lights.

1Minute
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks 5thShock. We had hoped to see some of the lights from northern Wyoming this past week but the clouds stopped any chance.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

707 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1234, 007FJ, 69 invisible), 2,898 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,486
Posts18,451,978
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.