Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
again, deer live a LOT longer than folks think they do.

Folks are amazed when they witness it. IE the 4 shots to the elk.

Generally most animals run off and by the time you get all your stuff together and go look they've died.

But the ones that don't run.... you see it.

Even if you bang flop one, you are still gathering gear, and so on, such that you don't realize its down but its still dying.

I've brain shot a LOT of animals over the years... DRT... yeah, well given some time that is true.

I've been able to shoot a few just to see, and as soon as the gun goes off I"m heading their way, and you can still see the blood pumping, a few times felt the heart, and obviously at some point minutes later the hair goes through its reactions to death by standing up on end and then relaxing.

There is no point to my post, other than DRT only really mostly means they won't move as they die.

To answer the topic... doesn't matter to me.. I've shot em with literally about everything you can shoot em with. I've seen em drop to tiny rounds and run like hell when punched with the 50 bmg. And about everything in between.

I tend to fall back to mid to heavy barnes almost exclusively for game these days. And the exception is running heavy berger target bullets in my 308. Even that gun is tuned for 168ttsx for some jobs.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by andrews1958
What do you think works better on deer 200 yards or less?

A fast lite bullet built for deer hunting or a larger caliber with a 150 grain or bigger.

Which one do you think would drop a deer quicker its tracks?

I prefer shooting over the heart, while saving the heart for table fare. Any chambering/load combination causing excessive damage, is bad and a no go in my book. There are numerous great combinations that do work exceedingly well, for inside 200 yards. Using a 270 Winchester as a single example:

My best results came from a traditional 150 grain round nose. The long straight length in the bore is inherently accurate and easily results in great loads, and inside 200 yards is extremely effective, while resulting in a clean, quality meat yield. Light and fast combinations in this chambering tend to cause excessive damage that ruins too much edible meat.

Such good combinations can be found in numerous chamberings.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
100gr 25 cal Hornady @ 3700+. over forty deer from 25 yards to 350 and not one has taken a step. Speed kills..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
22 responses and not a single "Hammer of Thor" reference? laugh laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The Hammer Of Thor is definitely a 270 Winchester FWT with 130 grain BT...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yikes, I must have been typing when the critic was announcing the lack of "HOT"

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Thank gawd there are still signs of intelligent life in this place. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Aside from CNS hits...speaking of busting lungs/heart only:

Light bullets with thin jackets drop them fast.
Heavier, stouter cup and cores not as fast as above.
Light or heavy monolithic's not as fast as either of the above.

This.

Bullet construction matters more than what is on the cartridge head stamp. With deer, I've found 90-150 grain bullets such as Nosler BTs to be about as good as it gets out of 243s to 30-06s and about every cartridge in between. They get it done on deer..

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by shrapnel

my personal favorite,

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I think that a 220 gr from a 06 or a 160 gr from a 264 mag is the ticket, so I'm in the heavy and slow

IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I tend toward the heavy for caliber mind set. The exception being the 270 Win. In the 270 Weatherby and WSM,I'll take the heavier pills. As far as dropping deer in their tracks goes,sever the spine close to the head. If you plan to shoot them in the body,don't expect a lot of them to drop on the spot. Here are a couple deer from my past that bucked the system.

One was a big old breeder doe. Range was just shy of fifty yards. Took her right through the pump with a 200g 338 Win mag bullet. She pulled her legs up and bounced when she hit the ground. Little if any edible meat was harmed. Pretty unexciting wound channel.

Number two is a similarly sized doe,close to your 200 yard criteria. Same shot. Right through the heart. 130gr 270 Weatherby mag. She made a mad dash for fourty or fifty yards soaking the brush with blood. The entrance wound was as big as my fist.

One would think the fast explosive bullets would yield quicker on the spot kills. Not necessarily.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by andrews1958
What do you think works better on deer 200 yards or less?

A fast lite bullet built for deer hunting or a larger caliber with a 150 grain or bigger.

Which one do you think would drop a deer quicker its tracks?

You are on a quest that will yeild unconclusive results...and the expendature of needless dollars. Have fun!

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Thanks for all the great information!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Give me speed w/a decent bullet. powdr

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
How about a meaningless math problem? A westbound F-350 with a pallet of bricks lumbers into a blind corner. At the same time, an eastbound crotch rocket heads into the same corner at full throttle, cutting the corner as he makes the turn. Because of the bike's high speed, both the bike and the truck carry the same kinetic energy. They meet headlight to license plate. Who wins the game? Because of it's much higher momentum, the truck will win in spite of the bike's equal KE.

Obviously, the only way this can be compared to the bullets is if the fast, light bullet and the slow heavy bullet meet head-on in which case the light one will probably be obliterated. It has no relation whatever to what happens when either hits a deer. I'm just showing that you can play math games all day long and not get even close to the right answer.

Crotch rockets are highly frangible...

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Speed and construction.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Yep!!

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Both, thats why I like the TTSX's.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Shot placement trumps all else.

That said, a fast-opening bullet that also has enough azz to punch through and leave two holes for leaking blood is very helpful, as is the spray of tissue and blood and hair that gives solid evidence of a hit at the spot where the deer was standing. Also helpful are holes low enough on the body that blood accumulating in the chest will begin to drip out and leave a trail. There are lots of bullets that can do the job now and weight need not be much of a factor, except maybe for straight cup & core designs.

The buck I killed in 2011 was hit center-chest, tight behind the shoulder with a 130gr Hornady IL, which didn't exit, but did knock a clump of hair off the far side of the chest. The deer ran about 150 yards without leaving a drop of blood even though his lungs were totally souped. A lower hit or a pass-through would have given me a blood trail to work with instead of just tracks in the leaves.

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
15 years ago if a man even thought about shooting a deer w/a .224 caliber rifle he'd of been thought of as a low down cacklin heathen. Today w/the advent of the tsx it's common practice. powdr

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

663 members (1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 1234, 19rabbit52, 1eyedmule, 1badf350, 59 invisible), 2,806 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,694
Posts18,456,642
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.