Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
G
garCH Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
This has probably been asked many times before and feel free to refer me to other threads/sites.

A hunting pal and I are hunting the eastern cape w kei river hunting safaris for plains game the last week of July. I've hunted the US for 40 years: scores of whitetails, one mulie, caribou, elk, black bear and moose. I've traveled internationally a lot, even capetown once but that was just for a conference. So this is our first African hunt and we'd like to minimize ignorant mistakes!

What Africa-specific advice would you offer? Especially eastern cape in July specific. Footwear/clothes, interacting w PH and other staff, shooting off sticks, expectations, tips, photos, taxidermy/shipping, etc etc.

We are mid-60s, fair but not great physical conditioning, no big health issues, reload and know our rifles, not looking for ego trophies but an enjoyable and successful experience overall.

thanks. garCH

Yesu ai zhongguo
BP-B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Well I was in Eastern Cape in early Jul last year. Lows were in the mid 40's -lower 50's except one night got down to 33. The daily highs were mid 60's to lower 70's except only to 54 the day after the 33 night.

You need rugged foot wear. The terrain is rocky. It rained a few times. The worst was that 54 degree day.

As far as tips ask the outfitter or owner. Our taxidermy came in below estimates given us by the outfitter. Head and shoulder mounts of Kudu, Black Springbuck, Duiker, and Impala plus skull and horns of Blesbuck was actual: $1,166.00 to JFK, $579.00 from there to my door - import fee, taxes, shipping etc. The taxidermy work was $2,503.00 again these were all actual charges the estimated came in higher.

I assume you know the import and travel requirements for your rifles and ammo. If you don't ask me again. I highly recommend pre approved permit from riflepermits.com

Last edited by sbrmike; 06/19/16. Reason: spelling

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
garCH, I'm hardly an expert, but have been 3 times. These would by my personal recs, so take it FWIW:

1. I you're unsure about booking tickets, use Steve Turner @ Travel With Guns. They will do your flights, gun permits, etc.

2. If you're comfy with doing it yourself and have to spend a night in J'burg upon arrival, I cannot recommend Africa Sky Guest House enough, and they can handle your gun permits as well.

3. If you only need rifle permit service, I hear great things about riflempermits.com

4. Use the same clothes you hunt with here in the US. I wear Carhartt stuff, leather boots, and it all works just as well over there as it does here.

5. Take hard candy for PH's and trackers. They love the stuff.

6. I rely on the outfitter to give advice on amount of tip to give. I do like tipping on the high side though because those people work their butts off for you. Mine has been in the $600 range the last two times.

Savor every moment. Africa is a special place.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Andrew Renton?

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by JGRaider
garCH, I'm hardly an expert, but have been 3 times. These would by my personal recs, so take it FWIW:

1. I you're unsure about booking tickets, use Steve Turner @ Travel With Guns. They will do your flights, gun permits, etc.

2. If you're comfy with doing it yourself and have to spend a night in J'burg upon arrival, I cannot recommend Africa Sky Guest House enough, and they can handle your gun permits as well.

3. If you only need rifle permit service, I hear great things about riflempermits.com

4. Use the same clothes you hunt with here in the US. I wear Carhartt stuff, leather boots, and it all works just as well over there as it does here.

5. Take hard candy for PH's and trackers. They love the stuff.

6. I rely on the outfitter to give advice on amount of tip to give. I do like tipping on the high side though because those people work their butts off for you. Mine has been in the $600 range the last two times.

Savor every moment. Africa is a special place.

All absolutely excellent advice.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You most likely will be shooting off of sticks. I told the PH at the rifle range that I never tried shooting off of sticks. After we confirmed my zeroes he had me take a couple of shots off of sticks. If you have some practice with them but if you don't be honest about it and they will most likely bone you up a bit before heading out. You are so steady with them it is almost like cheating!

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Andrew Renton?

G
garCH Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
yes andrew renton. experience w him?

Yesu ai zhongguo
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes

I will PM you first thing in the morning regarding Andrew Renton and Kei River Safaris

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
We had a great family (wife and three sons) trip with Andrew in 2012. He will treat you right in every way.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Bring medicine specific to your needs and potential needs. You should be past tick season but check with the PH. Ticks can be really abundant at certain times of the year. There no nasty tick born illnesses in the eastern cape but the pepper ticks can transmit what they call tickbite fever. Low grade fever and headache. Doxycycline clears it up fast.

The oft quoted more money and less clothes is also true.

If you don't have a good pocket camera get one. Takes lots and lots of photos.

The other comments above are well thought out.

If your PH and / or tracker get real excited about an animal that's not on your list seriously think about shooting it.

All the best.

G
garCH Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
appreciate all the input! thanks tedhorn for your report and congrats on your fine hunt!

my air tickets and overnite in joburg are already booked.

certainly if we encounter a good animal not on our list we'll go for it!

recommendations on taxidermy done there or in US?

Yesu ai zhongguo
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Make sure you have your SAPS paperwork in order, and consider having Afton House do your meet & greet. Almost all shots at game will be off shooting sticks, and we don't normally use them over here. Make a pair from a set of dowels and practice. Don't wear camo, it's for military only in most of Africa. Dark green or khaki is good. You'll drive and glass more than you'll walk, and they'll accommodate your capabilities. Don't bring lots of clothing, as they wash and iron every day....3 sets is fine.

Have fun...I leave for my 16th time in early July...Zambia this time!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Biggest/Most Expensive mistake American hunters make on African PG is shot placement. Virtually every PG species have the broadside "vital triangle" that is forward of the front leg. African PG species front leg bone structure is just a bit different than WT and the heart is farther forward in the chest than American WT. Most American hunters that have shot a lot of deer "tend" to shoot "in the crease just behind the front leg" on full broadside shots. If you do that on African PG you are likely to hit nothing but lung/liver/guts and have a long and uncertain tracking job ahead. Can be very expensive if you don't recover it.

General "rule of thumb" on African PG on full broadside is straight up the front leg, 1/3 of the way up the body. If you're a little low, you hit the lower part of the heart. Dead on, you'll center the heart. A little high, you'll take out the arteries at the top of the heart. If you're a little higher still, you'll likely "spine" it. Just don't hit behind the line of the front leg. Of course you need to adjust for quartering shots and use the same "rule of thumb" but use the "off side" front leg.

16 trips, one down this year (Apr) and two more on the books (July and Sept) and PH school in KZN in 2011.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Chapstick and sunscreen. Their winters are like those in the US desert southwest....dry and low humidity.

He went over yonder way
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
More money... Beg , borrow or steal... smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Take a target pre-shot at 25 and 100 yards for post-flight check comparison. Keep track of any scope changes made due to PH instructions (so you can move them back if you don't believe the scope moved). Some PH's check at 25 yards. Also, practice off short sticks -- seated vs. the usual standing tripod/sticks.

Keep extra glasses in take-along pack. Sun setting while you have sunglasses on doesn't work, and the sun sets fast!!

Drink water from the time you get on the plane. Keep a small bottle in your pants pocket and work it during hunts. Refill from your room supply. Bottled water only!

Take soft guncase/sleeve along for time rifles spend in gun racks during transport.

Hunt, don't shop a list. "Take what the bush provides."

Photos are all you will have in hand for a year afterward. Taxidermy can ruin the experience -- separate that from the hunt,

Money for tips, M&M's for friendship.

Last edited by agazain; 06/20/16.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
garCH,

Congrats on your upcoming hunt booking! Wish I were going again.

You have already gotten some good advice. I have been to Africa 4 times, once on a bow hunt. Here's my 2 cents worth-

Don't overpack. Laundry service is almost always available, two or three sets of hunting clothes is usually plenty. If hunting in July, a sweater, vest, or warmer jacket and light gloves is not a bad idea, as it can be cold at that time. On our last trip to SA, one morning we had to scrape heavy frost off the vehicles. A good pair of hiking boots work just fine for hunting.

Be sure to take along all of your meds if you take them, as well as any stomach aids you might anticipate needing, like Rolaids, Pepto, etc., in case some foods don't agree with you.

If you take your cell phone with you, make sure you have an International plan set up with your provider, and fully understand how charges are racked up on that phone, like if data roaming is left on. It is possible to chalk up hundreds, and thousands, of dollars on unneccessary charges if you are not careful.

The first trip over was a disaster in terms of paperwork- I tried to do it all myself. I highly recommend using one of the many good services to handle SAP paperwork, permits, etc. I have used Gracy Travel, and was highly impressed with how smoothly things went.
Many people have given up taking their own firearms, due to the hassles involved. I do not recommend this- I did it once, with near-disastrous results. IMO, the advantages of using a firearm you are totally familiar with outweigh the disadvantages. Sounds like you are going to use your own stuff, anyway.

Do yourself a favor, and do lots of shooting off of sticks before you go. I usually use a rifle like .223 or .257 for practice, and like shooting at gongs at 200 yards. You will be shooting off sticks in Africa!

I usually take along a lot of small envelopes for distributing tips. Most outfitters really appreciate it if you personally tip the staff, trackers, cooks, etc.- it takes some of the burden off them. Don't be afraid to ask your PH or outfitter about their expectations regarding tips, and use them as guidelines.

Take lots of photos- in this digital age, it doesn't cost any more to take lots of them, and they help preserve the memories of a very special hunt experience.

Wish I had some good advice on the best avenue for shipping heads, hides, etc. back to the states. I have never had a problem eventually getting everything, but on a couple of occasions, there were hangups do to a lack of communication. Unfortunately, the cost of getting your stuff here continues to skyrocket, so much so that I doubt I would send anything home in the future for mounting. (plus the fact that my house is so full of stuff that there's no more room.) I have always used my taxidermist here in the US, as I can communicate directly with him as to how I want things done.

Lastly- if you have enough travel miles built up to upgrade to Business class flight, by all means do so. It makes a world of difference in how you you feel once you arrive at your destination.

Relax and enjoy your hunt!

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
G
garCH Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
continued thanks. shooting sticks are usually bipod not tripod style? just tied together? wanting to know how to rig a set for practice.

i love my ecco trak 6 hiking shoes/boots, come up just over the top of the ankle. sufficient? goretex, good tread, solid and comfy.

Afton House already arranged.

apparently taxidermy can be a nightmare.

Yesu ai zhongguo
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The PH sticks I have used in Africa have been wood, tripod style. I use a Bog Pod tripod, for my practice and for hunting here in the US.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
666 members (163bc, 06hunter59, 09wingates, 007FJ, 160user, 77 invisible), 2,671 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,605
Posts18,398,367
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.