Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
RWE Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Dad and I went to the American Legion ball games Sunday.

Got there at 11am, stayed for 3 games, in the same seats under the bleachers.

For the first time it appears Dad has gotten past some of his personal apprehension about discussing his military service.

For about 7 hours of good baseball, he talked about all sorts of stuff he hasn't mentioned in 40+ years.

And it wasn't sorrowful, counseling type speak. It was plain, stoic narrative of a lot of the stuff he'd seen and did, Germany, Korea, France, Stateside, Vietnam, Antarctica.

maybe he was letting me know why he wasn't around through my childhood.

A lot of things in common though. He wasn't too clear on some specifics, but other things he was crystal on.

He relayed getting in a scuffle with the west German Police prior to vietnam, that almost earned him a summary, but was eventually dropped entirely.

remembered in detail his "21 day" boat ride to Vietnam, because the ship had engine issues, and they had orders not to divert for repairs.

Couldn't remember the name of the Brig Gen that bailed their ass out of an ambush from the Cambodian side, by calling in an arty strike despite the "neutral zone infraction", but he remembered the longhorns on the front of his chopper and the general landing and allowing his ships to be used to evac wounded while the general personally helped secure the perimeter.

He recalled burning the craphouse cans with napalm, just because he could (Dad had a chem sgt MOS)and pushing back a little jungle with some accidental overspray from a flame thrower.

Dad reaffirmed liking the M14 and the 30 carbine over the M16, but relayed that one of his first combat deployments he was issued an M-79, with buckshot rounds and a 1911 (we have this in common).

Talked about the nuke plant we set up in Antarctica. Of winter weather that would make some of us cry like babies.

Of poker games and side games of hi-lo where pots were so large, guys were apprehensive to bet on a Queen-3.

How to distill booze when its 30 below.

How to make napalm from common household chemicals.

You know, father-son stuff. I never asked him what he got his medals for valor for - I've always been curious, but not enough to break the moment.

It was a good day, and I can't help but tell any of you that still have your Dad's around - make time to sit, before its over.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
make time to sit, before its over.

This.

Glad you did.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Very cool.
Wifes uncle[that doesn't much like discussing this stuff either]did tell me one late evening about finding out that he had led his squad?? about 5 miles into Cambodia by mistake once. I love to hear stories of the times that I cannot imagine living through.

FJB & FJT
RWE Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
He talked about providing security for an Artillery BN, and the cannon cockers having to level the bores and fire cannisters because of the VC charging their position. That was hair raising.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Glad he's still with you savor all the time you can.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
Glad he's still with you savor all the time you can.

This.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

184 members (12344mag, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 35, 257 roberts, 2UP, 22 invisible), 2,216 guests, and 876 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,711
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.