Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I seem to gravitate to unusual guns. Have always been interested in O/U's. Had a Savage 24 in 22/20, but mistakenly sold it years ago. Regretted it ever since. Have a Double Badger in 22 mag/410, which is a fun gun. Decided I wanted something "larger". I really wanted a 12/308, but it seems the only ones available are the more expensive FinnClassic type. So, started looking at the Baikals. Couldn't find one in 12/308, but there were two in 12/223. Got one out of Texas.

First thing that surprised me was the fact the muzzle wasn't blued. At first I thought someone had tried doing something to the muzzle and then just filed it flat. Turns out that is how they come from the factory. I'll probably blue it at some point.

Off to the range with a variety of ammo, both 12 slugs and 223. Had a 1-3x20 Weaver scope I mounted with a set of QD UTG dovetail mounts. The 223 shot fine with that at 50 & 75 yds, but the 12's were high and a little to the left. Not too bad, but not as close as I wanted. Turned out the best shooting slugs were Remington Sluggers. I figured buckshot and other shot wouldn't be far enough off to worry about at the ranges I'd shoot them.

Back home to figure out how to regulate the barrels. There was virtually nothing in the manual on adjusting the barrel regulation. A cut section on the adjustment mechanism that really didn't show anything. Some research online and a couple of emails with Mr. Polecat and I figured I figured it couldn't be that difficult. I got the little "cap" off the end and was totally surprised at what the adjusting mechanism is. Nothing but different diameter pins to spread the barrels. Nothing sophisticated at all. I measured the diameter of the pin, and it was a hair over the diameter of a #10-32 machine screw. Another MP94 owner had regulated his vertically by using shims and the original pin. I had some 10-32 barrel nuts that came off what I think was an old High Point stock so my solution was to use a stainless 10-32 machine screw with the head cut off and the barrel nuts to hold it in. I wanted to regulate the barrels left to right a little closer. After looking at the blocks used for regulating it vertically, I thought I could make a mechanism to move the lower barrel left and right by using half washers on the machine screw.

Fixed those, and off to the range yesterday afternoon in the 92 deg heat. With the first shots, the two 223 shots were an inch apart. The slug was down about 4" and to the left at least 8". Thought that maybe I needed to reverse the half washers to "bend" the barrel the other direction. Decided to remove the half washers and start from zero. Again, the two 223 shots were about an inch apart (at 50 yds). Then, surprisingly, the slug was right on top of them. Hopefully, the photo will post. The second slug hole to the left was from the original shot.

I moved the target to 75 yards, which was the farthest I could, and shot two more 223 and a slug. They formed a nice triangle right at 4" on a side. Didn't take a pic of that, but pretty happy with the results. Tomorrow I'll be able to get to the 100 yd range and do some more.

I had changed the sights. Got a Williams 5D peep sight that mounts on a dovetail. Factory sights were used the first time I shot the rifle. All of this shooting was done with the peep sight.

All in all am pretty happy with this one. Will make a good field carry/truck gun.

Have to figure out how to post a pic.

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That is a nice solid gun you have there, it should do you good for a lang time. I don't big game hunt much any more and mostly focus on calling coyotes. I'm very fond of combination/drillings for most of my coyote hunting.

BRNO 12ga/22 Savage Highpower(5.6x52R) Leupold 1-4x20mm scope.

[Linked Image]

They can be very accurate also.

[Linked Image]

V. Bernardelli 12ga/5.6x50R Magnum Weaver V-3

[Linked Image]

The one thing nice about combos you can get away with a much lighter shot load in the shotgun because you have the rifle barrel for long range stuff. I've gone to just 1 1/4 ounce of NP BB's in my 2 3/4" 12ga's, easy on the shoulder and easy on the gun, puts the coyotes down under 50 yards.

Last edited by erich; 06/18/16.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have the Baikal in 12 gauge/.308 and I like it really well.

Stan in SC

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
741 members (10gaugemag, 222ND, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 80 invisible), 2,701 guests, and 1,363 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,690
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.