Print Thread
Hop To
D
donsm70 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Normally, when I think of elk hunting, it would be in the fall with the bulls bugling and a rifle in my hands.

This weekend, I had a very different "elk hunt".

The Keystone Country Elk Alliance (KECA), in conjunction with the Pa. Game commission, conducts an annual field survey in North Central Pennsylvania to locate and ear tag new born elk calves. The elk are free ranging animals that live in 5 county area, with Benezette, Pa., being the central location. Elk are abundant in that area and are nut hunted during the fall, in this particular area.

The opportunity to join in was afforded by a raffle drawing at each one of 12 fund raising banquets, whereby one winning ticket is drawn and that person is allowed to take one guest. I chose one of my grand daughters.

There were a total of about 35 or 40 of us in attendance, including the winners, guests, KECA personnel and Game Commission representatives.

The activities kicked off Friday evening with a barbecue dinner and a short presentation of what to expect Saturday morning. The Game Commission Biologist explained that we would be looking for single cows in open areas that were reluctant to leave.

He explained that according to previous surveys, that June 3rd and 4th are the highest elk calf birth rate days, which follows a gestation period of 255 days.

We met at 7:00 AM Saturday, and car pooled to a very popular elk sighting area. Sure enough, we saw a lone cow that did not want to leave. We formed a straight line and walked slowly toward the cow, keeping our eyes on the ground. When someone spotted the bedded calf we would form a circle around it just in case it got up to run.

[Linked Image]

The biologist had told us that this method is very effective with calves from one day to 5 days old. After 5 days, the calves will run and no one can catch them.

When the calf is being held, the biologist comes in the do his survey. The animal's eyes are covered and the calf is examined for sex and weight. An ear tag is added to aid in future encounters. New born calves weigh about 35 pounds and gain approximately 2 pounds per day in the first 5 days.

[Linked Image]

We were then allowed to take some pictures. Elk do not have the baby bird syndrome and the mother, who paces back and forth at a distance of 10 to 30 yards during the process will immediately re unite with the calf.

[Linked Image]

This is my grand daughter (on the left) with a friend and the biologist with one of the calves.
[Linked Image]

Over the course of 3 hours and 3 miles, we located 3 new born calves. We say a fourth, but it was a runner.

There were also a couple of unexpected treats when a hen turkey went out right at my feet and when I looked at where she had been nesting, this is what I saw;

[Linked Image]

It was a great weekend and quality time spent in the outdoors with my grand daughter. Those are life long memories.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Very cool story Don. When I see this kind of stuff, it makes me think of where my dad grew up: Benezette is only 80 miles from my dad's home town. Were those elk transplanted there? And if so, from what state? Thanks buddy..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Neat Stuff cool cool

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
You don't see that every day. Excellent.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Very cool story Don. When I see this kind of stuff, it makes me think of where my dad grew up: Benezette is only 80 miles from my dad's home town. Were those elk transplanted there? And if so, from what state? Thanks buddy..

The elk currently residing in Pa. are descendants of 50 elk that were purchased in 1913 and brought by train from Yellowstone National Park and the Jackson Wildlife Refuge. An additional 95 were purchased and shipped in 1915 from the same source.

There are now approximately 1000 elk living within 5 counties in Pa. (The Pennsylvania Wilds, as they are called) and the game commission now offers a yearly hunt with about 110 tags issued. There were 27 bull tags and 81 cow tags issued in 2014.

donsm70

Last edited by donsm70; 06/05/16.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great experience, thanks for sharing.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks for the info Don. I also did an internet search earlier and saw that same information. I also ran across a cool story about a guy that got a "once in a lifetime tag" for a cow hunt. Cool stuff. I'm glad to see those elk thriving in that area. From what I hear, they all but dwindled away in the 30's. According to what I read, only 1 bull was taken in 1930. Elk numbers had dropped to around 200 animals at that time..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for sharing the photos and story!

Last edited by 24mileboy; 06/05/16.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
smile cool

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Good stuff. When tagging/collaring white tail fawns for the PGC when I was in college, I got to slap a few collars on some elk calves and a couple bears every spring/summer on our down days. Not much prettier country in PA than in the "mountains" where the elk live.

Oh, and believe it or not, deer bite. Fairly hard.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sound like a great day Don! I don't care what anyone says, PA is the Montana of the East! wink grin whistle

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
It works for me.

Thanks guys. Don

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Great stuff! That kind of participation wildlife field work can be fascinationg.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don,
That's pretty cool stuff - thanks for sharing.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
B
B
Sounds like a good time. How do you get involved for next year?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
That would be an exciting day for sure,I think I would be a little concerned about momma pacing back and forth at 1030 yds.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Amazing stuff Don. Thanks for sharing your experience with us!

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Baer
Sounds like a good time. How do you get involved for next year?

Check out the Keystone Elk Country Alliance website for next years banquets. I'm sure there has to one near you in MD.

It is a great organization and good people to be around.

Thanks for your interest.

donsm70

PM me if you need more information.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

608 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 58 invisible), 1,970 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,246
Posts18,448,040
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.