Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I see Ruger has a 5.5 inch 44 mag redhawk Talo model that features a fiber optic front sight instead of the ramp with red insert. I have not owned a pistol with a fiber optic front sight and wondered if it was a durable choice and if it was a significant improvement over the ramped front sight model?

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
No love in the least.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought a Keltec PMR 30 last fall.

It has both fiber optic, and just a regular style plastic insert.

I've not shot it enough to decide yet. I can say that in lower light situations it does make a difference for my old eyes.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Steelhead
No love in the least.

My sentiments exactly

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
so it is a gimmick and not an improvement.

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by jimmyp
so it is a gimmick and not an improvement.

I guess it depends, there are guys that like them. You can see them but I can't shoot as accurately with them

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
No love in the least.

THIS...

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I've got several pistols with the fiber optics, but the one I've shot the most is the Ruger MKIII hunter. It's got orange, green inserts.they are all good in the right place with the right light. But what ever is in there is usually less than optimum when I am using it. I also don't like the sights profile, but that is just my preference.

To make a long story short, fiber optic sites would not be a plus factor when I'm buying a gun.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Depends on the intended purpose but love mine...

Glock 40 and 19: TruGlo TFO tritium/FO

Gary Reeder Custom Blackhawk: FA FO front with Bowen w/o rear

RIA 10mm Combat Commander: FO front with adjustable rear

PARA USA 10mm Long Slide Hunter: FO front with adjustable rear

S&W 686-7 .38 Super: FO front

Ruger GP100: FO front

Find them much faster to pickup for close in self-defense shooting/IDPA competition.

For long range shooting still prefer a good Patridge or Keith Long Range front blade...

Bob

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

RIA

[Linked Image]

PARA

[Linked Image]

GP100

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by RJM; 06/20/16.

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RJM
Depends on the intended purpose but love mine...

Find them much faster to pickup for close in self-defense shooting/IDPA competition.

Bob

Same here. Much faster.
[Linked Image]

IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
You can't run fast enough to give me one. And yes, I do have one handgun with one. That's only because there is no replacement available. Since it's a .22 LR, I don't really care.
They are too fragile. The classic night sights work quite well. Heck, I've put bright orange paint/nail polish on front sights for years. In fact my old Ruger Single six still has the paint I put on it back in the 70's. Think I touched it up once. E

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I like a Patridge (post) front, but I'm a target shooter. I have no use for a fiber optic front.
Bob

[Linked Image]

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oheremicus
You can't run fast enough to give me one. And yes, I do have one handgun with one. That's only because there is no replacement available. Since it's a .22 LR, I don't really care.
They are too fragile. The classic night sights work quite well. Heck, I've put bright orange paint/nail polish on front sights for years. In fact my old Ruger Single six still has the paint I put on it back in the 70's. Think I touched it up once. E

Not all are fragile.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I absolutely HATE em!!!!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I do not, only have them on a few SD guns, seeing them on a revolver, double rifle or lever gun makes me damn near puke.sick

There may come a day I HAVE to use em to get off accurate daytime hunting shots, still wont like em, until that day arrives, they remain nauseating.

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Whether they are good or not depends on your eyes. I’ve had central serous retinopathy in my dominate eye that has severely affected my ability to clearly see a partridge style sight. Once they eyesight has failed, what are you going to do? Keep the more precise sights that you can’t see anymore, or go to what you can?

Inside 50 yards there really isn’t much difference, but at longer ranges the fiber optic sights are less accurate. Still plenty for deer at 100 yards, but not much more for me. For me, fiber optics allow me to use and enjoy my handguns that might not get shot as much if they didn’t have them.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For competition, shooting fast, there are several well designed fiber optic versions that are perfection. But, for anything rough and tumble, I am not a fan.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I like 'em.
Much more visible.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If the FO falls out, it is still a front sight. I can't see the front sight anymore, slightly better with FO.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I find they make the front sight blurry which makes it difficult to get a good sight picture. I'm not a speed shooter so perhaps if I were I'd find a use for one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (17CalFan, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,931 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,276
Posts18,467,541
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.