Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I like the .300 Weatherby for this reason. Anywhere Americans hunt will likely have .300 Win or Weatherby ammo somewhere and while I don't recommend it regularly, I would not let shooting .300 Win ammo in a Weatherby chamber ruin a hunt if I was in a bind. Would probably not be great for the throat, but it would work. I also as of late have been loading my Weatherby to WSM ballistics, which makes it much more pleasant.

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
If just hunting the US, WSM should be fine. worst case, have Midway next day ammo to the closest place near hunting camp.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Or do what I did and buy it here from the classified!
I got my Sako Tecomate 300 WSM FROM THE WIFE a couple of years ago for my birthday.
A week later somebody here had 4 boxes of Winchester
300 WSM 180 gr. Power Point 4 sale for a great price!
I snapped them up plus a box of 180 gr. Silver Tip ammo.

Last edited by AMRA; 06/18/16.

Molan Labe
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
For clarification, I roll all my own ammunition and would do the same w/ the WSM. I'm not concerned about the cost of ammunition, I'm concerned about being able to buy a box in BFE if I somehow lose my ammunition on a trip.

David

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Canazes9
For clarification, I roll all my own ammunition and would do the same w/ the WSM. I'm not concerned about the cost of ammunition, I'm concerned about being able to buy a box in BFE if I somehow lose my ammunition on a trip.

David

How many hunters do you know that actually lost their ammo on a trip?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The more popular/common the cartridge the greater the likelihood one would find factory ammo in out of the way and more remote areas.

You might find all the 300 WSM you want in Casper but the stuff might be scarce or non existent in Medicine Bow or Hanna,a couple hours away. Just the way it goes.

IME the "common" factory stuff most easily found among BG cartridges as you travel from here to there are the 243, 308, 30/06,270, 7 Rem Mag, and 300 Win Mag.

Coincidentally these are also among the most popular BG rounds in existence,and what I'd call first tier popularity. I don't know where the 300 WSM sits in all this. But doubt it approaches the others listed above in popularity.

Folks who hunt close to home hardly ever bump into ammo problems but when you fly long distances stuff sometimes happens...so for traveling hunters, yes, it can be a concern.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by BobinNH
The more popular/common the cartridge the greater the likelihood one would find factory ammo in out of the way and more remote areas.

You might find all the 300 WSM you want in Casper but the stuff might be scarce or non existent in Medicine Bow or Hanna,a couple hours away. Just the way it goes.

IME the "common" factory stuff most easily found among BG cartridges as you travel from here to there are the 243, 308, 30/06,270, 7 Rem Mag, and 300 Win Mag.

Coincidentally these are also among the most popular BG rounds in existence,and what I'd call first tier popularity. I don't know where the 300 WSM sits in all this. But doubt it approaches the others listed above in popularity.

Folks who hunt close to home hardly ever bump into ammo problems but when you fly long distances stuff sometimes happens...so for traveling hunters, yes, it can be a concern.

That's really what I'm asking - is the 300wsm as available as the most easily found stuff. Looks like The answer is no.

I appreciate everyone's comments.

David

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I hunt with a 300 WSM and don't recall a time when I couldn't have bought ammo for it on any of my Western adventures if I had lost it. Meaning, I flew into big towns almost every time, went to a reputable gun store (not all big box stores), and remember seeing 300 WSM on shelves on each occasion from Kalispell, down through EL Paso. Now, if I had lost it when I got to my final destination, like Baggs, WY, Cloud Croft, NM, Yaak, MT, etc it might have been harder to get but I could have gotten it on the drive in felt like it was somewhat obtainable with a decent drive.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The other point Dave is that while you may find some 300WSM stuff, there might be little if any variety. At the same time it is quite likely there'll be several different varieties of 308, 270 or 243 on the shelves at even the most modest gun shop.

Jeez down here you could go hat in hand to nearly any farm house and ask, and they'll likely be able to produce some 243 ammo you could use in a pinch! I doubt you'd be able to say the same re WSM; you'd likely get nothing but a confused look.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Plenty here in the SW and even deals on Shooter's Pro Shop. I like the short action, but truth be it, a good 06 is not far enough behind it get that excited as far as performance.

Good Shooting!
IC B3

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just my personal opinion here.

If you're traveling somewhere and you feel that there is a chance of your ammo being lost, call ahead and scout out the local resources.

My personal experience is that of others that have posted here.

Everyone carries the old standards. .30-06, .30-30, .308, .243 etc. If you're worried, the grand daddy .30-06 with a 180grn anything will do just about everything that it's asked to do.

I have a friend that almost always ships his custom rounds to the location of his next hunt. He usually does this 2-3 weeks ahead of time to ensure that there are no issues.

Good luck with your choice.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's a catch-22. Everybody wants cartridges that are common and time tested and therefore a lot of great cartridges bite the dust. The .30-06 is 110 years old and we now have more powerful cartridges that are more efficient but they just languish because folks don't want anything new. So you're told by your peers not to buy a cartridge that isn't mainstream but then that cartridge will never be mainstream because everyone is warned to stay away from it. Obviously cartridge designers have made great strides in the last 100 years but 100 year old cartridges still rule the day.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bobnob17
The other point Dave is that while you may find some 300WSM stuff, there might be little if any variety. At the same time it is quite likely there'll be several different varieties of 308, 270 or 243 on the shelves at even the most modest gun shop.

Jeez down here you could go hat in hand to nearly any farm house and ask, and they'll likely be able to produce some 243 ammo you could use in a pinch! I doubt you'd be able to say the same re WSM; you'd likely get nothing but a confused look.

I was thinking along the same lines. If a guy were to stand along side the road near hunting camp asking for 30-06 ammo or 300 WSM ammo, how long do you think said guy would be standing there waiting? Probably the first truck driving by would have some 30-06 ammo in it... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Just curious how common is it for people to be lost or out of ammo that requires a 30-06 chambered rifle? I have never encountered this issue and where I go there is no road or Wal-Mart down the road. Never owned a 30-06, 270, etc.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by bearstalker
Just curious how common is it for people to be lost or out of ammo that requires a 30-06 chambered rifle? I have never encountered this issue and where I go there is no road or Wal-Mart down the road. Never owned a 30-06, 270, etc.

Can't say - It's never happened to me. On the other hand, I've driven some long distances to hunt but I've never flown (to hunt). Hopefully that will be changing in the future - Alaska is definitely one of the places I hope to hunt!

I'm not looking for a primary rifle, I have primary rifles in odd chamberings that make me happy and will likely buy more. I'm looking for a back-up rifle that I will be familiar with that I will be able to find ammunition for even if everything goes wrong.

David

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bearstalker

Wasn't there a story about deflave forgetting his ammo or trying to put a different kind of ammo in his elk rifle. Chit happens and I've seen first hand when a guy forgets his ammo in all the confusion of loading all his chit in the pickup and heading out to hunting camp. Luckilly, there were 4 guys in camp using 30-06's. None were using 300wsm and town was 2 hours away.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I will be able to find ammunition for even if everything goes wrong.

David

Well if everything goes wrong, you will not be able to find ammo either. grin

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by battue
I will be able to find ammunition for even if everything goes wrong.

David

Well if everything goes wrong, you will not be able to find ammo either. grin

If everything went that wrong, I'd take up golf and stick close to the house... laugh

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Have the best chance possible to find ammunition?

David

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My stepson used up all his .450 Marlin ammo on the first day of PA deer season some years ago by shooting at deer running across a field. He missed them so we drove an hour that night to get him more ammo. A few years later he used up all his .257 Weatherby mag ammo on a SD pronghorn hunt. I couldn't find any of that. We scared up two rounds in his gear and the next day he shot a running antelope in the leg and missed it while it flopped around. He had to finish it with his belt knife. He doesn't hunt anymore.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1eyedmule, 19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 63 invisible), 2,868 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,707
Posts18,456,861
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.